Vancouver Whitecaps Roster Dance 2010

Current MLS Roster Limits: 30 Total: 25 Senior, 5 U-24's

Domestic players: Unlimited (includes Americans)

International Players: 8

Current Camp Roster (as of 01/09/10)

Domestic

1 Simon Thomas

2 Luca Bellisomo

3 Ethan Gage

4 Russell Teibert

5 Kyle Porter

6 Philippe Davies

7 Terry Dunfield

8 Willis Forko (Liberia)*

9 Alain Rochat (Switzerland)* {On Loan to FC Zurich}

10 Jay Nolly (United States)

11 Greg Janicki (United States)

12 Wes Knight (United States)

13 Blake Wagner (United States)

14 Jay DeMrit (United States)

International

15 Alexandre Morfaw (Cameroon)

16 Long Tan (China) - On Trial

17 Ridge Mobulu (Democratic Republic of the Congo)

18 Mouloud Akloul (France)

19 Gershon Koffie (Ghana)

20 Cornelius Stewart (Saint Vincent and the Grenadines)

21 Bedri Gashi (Switzerland)

22 Davide Chiumiento (Switzerland)

23 Nizar Khalfan (Tansania)

Head Coach: Teitur Thordarson (Iceland)

*Domestic Dual Citizenship

Alain Rochat (Switzerland/Canada)

Willis Forko (Liberia/United States)

Expansion Draft (November 24th, 10 rounds)

Tranfers In (since Nov. 1, 2010)

Jay DeMerit (Watford FC, England)

Long Tan (FC Tampa Bay, USA) - On Trial

Bedri Gashi (FC Lausanne-Sport, SUI)

Tranfers Out (since Nov.1, 2010)

Takashi Hirano (Out of Contract)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not official by the Club but Toure is no longer with the Caps according to the Sun. He is still listed on the team roster.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+ride+tide+change+before+deadline/3384724/story.html

Salgado's paperwork did not go through and he will not remain with the team.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2010/08/18/salgado-loan-deal-is-off.aspx

2 more official today. I think Nash and Hirano are the only 30+ players left on the team. Holy youth movement Batman! Personally I like it. A lot of young players and now to sort out which ones make the first team. Stay tuned.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature08181001.aspx

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the free agent signings of striker Cody Arnoux and defender Willis Forko.

Arnoux, 22, joins Whitecaps FC following a spell with English Premier League outfit Everton FC. During the 2009-10 season, the 5-foot-10, 170-pound forward scored twice in seven appearances for Everton’s reserve squad

Forko, 26, re-signs with the Whitecaps after spending one month with the club in early 2008 before transferring to FK Bodø/Glimt of Norway's top-flight Tippeligaen. The versatile left-sided defender/midfielder was a mainstay at FK Bodø/Glimt, as he appeared in a total of 60 matches and recorded three assists.

Yeah, incredibly youthful, and your right the only 1970 birth's left are Hirano and Nash. Any word on A.Toure?

Just a question anyone know who on the roster right now could be counted as a Development Contract if any?

Current MLS rules are a player under 25 of either domestic or international with a non-guaranteed contract. Can be a generation adidas player and players don't count against cap. Don't know if there is a max salary for these players. My guess would be that these spots will be occupied by young Canadians, like Bellisimo, Gage, Porter,Semenents, etc.

BTW, Forko and Zed both hold American passports and are considered American domestic players. D.Toure has Atlanta, GA listed as his hometown but i believe he is still international

Current MLS rules are a player under 25 of either domestic or international with a non-guaranteed contract. Can be a generation adidas player and players don't count against cap. Don't know if there is a max salary for these players. My guess would be that these spots will be occupied by young Canadians, like Bellisimo, Gage, Porter,Semenents, etc.

BTW, Forko and Zed both hold American passports and are considered American domestic players. D.Toure has Atlanta, GA listed as his hometown but i believe he is still international

Forko is Cap tied to Liberia isn't he, he played 1 game in WCQ in 08, so under the new rules he isn't he Liberian.

Forko is Cap tied to Liberia isn't he, he played 1 game in WCQ in 08, so under the new rules he isn't he Liberian.

True, but same way Rochet is considered Canadian, Forko is American within MLS rules(US citizen, green card holder, or special status)

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature08271001.aspx

It's Official, Ansu Toure has been released.

Too bad I always enjoyed watching him (and his left foot) at work. I wonder what it was that brought this about. He was one of the better players on the left side and the article doesn't give any details just "he's gone". He was good but perhaps not good enough to rate a MLS international spot?

Too bad I always enjoyed watching him (and his left foot) at work. I wonder what it was that brought this about. He was one of the better players on the left side and the article doesn't give any details just "he's gone". He was good but perhaps not good enough to rate a MLS international spot?

if thats the case, then the Caps should look quite good and quite deep, as I figured Ansu was a no brainer to be in the mix for a spot. At least to be there figthing for a spot. As much as it's an odd move I think its a good sign as to what the bar for standard is going to be set at for making the MLS team.

When the Vancouver Whitecaps embarked on a 10-man signing spree this summer, just two of the new players were Canadians -- midfielders Terry Dunfield and Kyle Porter.

Technically, Swiss international defender Alain Rochat will be considered a Canadian player on the Caps' Major League Soccer roster next year because he spent the first three months of his life in Quebec.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Caps+will+feature+little+Canadian+content/3467433/story.html

Thanks, that link confirms a few things about the roster restrictions for next season, that I wanted to know.

Americans will be Domestic players for Canadian teams, which will help out the transition and filling the gaps till the Canadian players can be aquired or developed into those spots.

As most quality Canadians are tied up in contract, too expensive or not ready yet.

Plus I've heard next years coach will be announced on Thursday, I'll be surprised if it isn't Teitur to be honest. I think he has earned it, has had the Caps at the top of league 3 years in a row now, 2 championship games with a 1-1 record. He hasn't cashed in on the Nutrilite, but really I think we all know and understand he and we should of been crowned champs in '09 if Montreal doesn't lay down like they did.

So taking those things into factor plus we probably canned the best replacement for him in Neindorf months ago. Teitur shouild be the coach named on Thursday.

Well it's official, Thordarson it is. No suprises, there.

As for Chiumento I'm super excited to get see him in action in a Caps jersey. He had so much potential a few years ago.

yeah....to think he actually held out on the Swiss Squad hoping he could make the Italian one ....

^ Yeah, I wondered at that too. It's not as if he's a 16 year old prodigy, he's 19 years old, the club must believe he has potential or something.

Marc Weber of the Province thinks highly of him from the what he has seen in the training sessions

Archived