Vancouver Whitecaps Roster Dance 2010

Khalfan, Stewart, and Hirano done for this year

All three don't make final 30 man roster. The Caps decide to keep Akoul, Chiumiento, Morfaw, Koffie, Mobulu, McDonald, and Toure as their seven internationals. No formal announcement on North American players so assuming all of them made the final cut.

What does this mean?

they can practice and stay with the club just can't play right?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say what you will, but Teitur has never had a solid core of players, they are constantly changing, and not just thinking about MLS. That is a poor philosophy, it is more like a place to be on trial than a club. The squad lists are probably the most erratic in all of the league.

I thought you were supposed to choose players and go with them for a season because you believed in them, because you knew how they could help your team, because that was the way a coach got committment too. And I repeat, it is not just now, with MLS looming, it has been all of Teitur's time at the club.

I am not saying definitively it is an error, as he may be trying to incite competition, but it looks a lot like they are really unsure about what they are doing and making decisions on players who they hardly give a chance to as well, only to dump them. It also looks like the coach does not believe in himself: you sign a guy because you believe you can train him into the system, but if you don't really have a system, all you are left with is just changing the pieces on the chessboard.

Khalfan, Stewart, and Hirano done for this year

All three don't make final 30 man roster. The Caps decide to keep Akoul, Chiumiento, Morfaw, Koffie, Mobulu, McDonald, and Forko? as their seven internationals. No formal announcement on North American players so assuming all of them made the final cut.

Khalfan and Stewart have already shown what they can do and I think have made their case and booked their tryout spots for MLS. If the Caps need to see more players in game action to evaluate them then moving them to the reserve team is a smart move. Especially seeing as one or both will be called up for international duty again this fall.

As for Taka, well he is probably too old for MLS so it's time to move on. I've always enjoyed watching him play but Z has been doing a great job.

Stewart has been called up by his native Saint Vincent and the Grenadines for a training camp ahead of next month's first-round group stage in the 2010 Caribbean Cup.

Khalfan, who just returned from international duty, is expected to be called up again by his native Tanzania for their 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match versus Morocco on Friday, October 8.

So why not let them go, the 'Caps have more than enogh depth for the playoffs and both have already shown their potetnial for MLS.

Hirano is just plain too old to be considered for MLS at age 37 (next year) in the face of much younger a quite stronger competition. Why not free up a spot for a younger player to show what he's got.

I think these moves make eminent good sense.

Stewart has been called up by his native Saint Vincent and the Grenadines for a training camp ahead of next month's first-round group stage in the 2010 Caribbean Cup.

Khalfan, who just returned from international duty, is expected to be called up again by his native Tanzania for their 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match versus Morocco on Friday, October 8.

So why not let them go, the 'Caps have more than enogh depth for the playoffs and both have already shown their potetnial for MLS.

Hirano is just plain too old to be considered for MLS at age 37 (next year) in the face of much younger a quite stronger competition. Why not free up a spot for a younger player to show what he's got.

I think these moves make eminent good sense.

Agreed, let the two kids get some time in with their national teams, and yeah I don't think anyone had Taka penned in for the MLS jump.

• 2 weeks later...
Carmine Isaaco, Head Coach of Portugal FC confirmed on tonights CSL game of the week telecast that Bryce Alderson has signed with the Vancouver Whitecaps.

U17 team captain. Damn we are getting a lot of young talented strikers. I love it! Add Salgado to the mix in the draft and we have quite a lot of quality to build the future with. Reminds me of what Bobaduzzi said in his latest interview "in 5 years we'd like to stock the team with academy players". In 5 years most will be of the academy will be 22-24. Sounds about right.

So the question begs to be asked "Why Vancouver's academy instead of TFC's?". Time will tell I guess.

So the question begs to be asked "Why Vancouver's academy instead of TFC's?". Time will tell I guess.

Stability!

I'm still curious as to why now? I can't find anything on-line to verify, not that I don't believe it, but makes me think they have some plans for something with D2/D3 and/or another series of friendlies during the offseason. Something along the lines of the African Friendlies.

Agreed, let the two kids get some time in with their national teams, and yeah I don't think anyone had Taka penned in for the MLS jump.

this is why i am reticent to sign good players from ''small'' football nations... they're always going to be called for international dates so you have to have good depth.

"DeMerit has a connection to the Whitecaps, too, through director of soccer operations Tommy Soehn. When Soehn was an assistant coach of the Chicago Fire in 2001, DeMerit was playing for Chicago Fire Premier, their development team.

He went undrafted and unsigned, however, emptying his bank account to follow his dream in England in 2003. DeMerit began his remarkable, rapid climb at Southall F.C., a semi-professional side eight divisions below the Premier League."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/Whitecaps+contenders+sign+World+defender+DeMerit/3547490/story.html

So our first DP might just be a CB who worked his ass off to get from div 8 to EPL in 7 years. Now that is guts and commitment.

"DeMerit has a connection to the Whitecaps, too, through director of soccer operations Tommy Soehn. When Soehn was an assistant coach of the Chicago Fire in 2001, DeMerit was playing for Chicago Fire Premier, their development team.

He went undrafted and unsigned, however, emptying his bank account to follow his dream in England in 2003. DeMerit began his remarkable, rapid climb at Southall F.C., a semi-professional side eight divisions below the Premier League."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/Whitecaps+contenders+sign+World+defender+DeMerit/3547490/story.html

So our first DP might just be a CB who worked his ass off to get from div 8 to EPL in 7 years. Now that is guts and commitment.

I know a CB is important but unless he's a game changer like Marquez, who can take a free kick and play midfield, its not worth a DP slot on DeMerit. European sides can pay higher salaries for these position cause they're not handcuffed by a cap. Unless they're signing DeMerit as a trade bait its not worth it, in my opinion.

I know a CB is important but unless he's a game changer like Marquez, who can take a free kick and play midfield, its not worth a DP slot on DeMerit. European sides can pay higher salaries for these position cause they're not handcuffed by a cap. Unless they're signing DeMerit as a trade bait its not worth it, in my opinion.

Agreed don't see him as a DP, but at the right price more than welcome on the team, he would look great beside Rochat next season.

Must say though very impressed by the Caps attempts at players. It's refreshing to see them go after quality players I don't have to look up to know who they are.

He is on a free, so maybe they can do another front loaded contract? It may be that he expected to get a big offer coming off the World Cup and it hasn't happened, prompting him to strike a structured deal with the Caps that could work around the DP/cap rules. If that's the case, I'll definitely take him. Though I agree he's not at the right position for a DP.

He is on a free, so maybe they can do another front loaded contract? It may be that he expected to get a big offer coming off the World Cup and it hasn't happened, prompting him to strike a structured deal with the Caps that could work around the DP/cap rules. If that's the case, I'll definitely take him. Though I agree he's not at the right position for a DP.

With the 30 man roster freeze now in effect, any new signings must be done through MLS rules. The Caps can only bring through players on that roster and ones in the residency program(Stewart,Khalfan). If they sign DeMerit it has to be either DP or allocation. The DP route I'm against.

We are building from the back out which is a proven strategy for a winning team. I don't mind having a DP for a CB although I'd expect us to have 3 in that case. 1 CB and 2 mids/forwards. We'll see. Right now we have a very solid back line shaping up in front of Nolly (I assume he'll be our keeper) which makes me feel very good. Rochat, Akloul & DeMerit plus some more to tryout in the spring (Knight, Janicki, Akwari, Williams, Bellisomo, etc) will give us good depth as well.

In essence we have 2 DPs already in the form of Rochat and Chiumiento but they aren't counted as such because Vancouver's management are smart and work around limitations. So a defender and a mid so far. What is wrong with another defender? Essentially we will end up with 4 or 5 DPs so the next signing will be a mid or forward.

Works for me :)

People will judge the DeMerit move prematurely, however I do believe if the rest of the team is picked right and the other DP spot is used properly, Demerit may make for a good DP for a little bit, he may not play in Vancouver for long, there's always a chance a US team would take him on a trade. Maybe we can get a Jakovic or Johnson, maybe not, but really who knows. Hard to argue with the Caps moves as of late, so might as well let this pan out and see if it can actually work out nicely.

EDIT: added La'Vere Corbin-Ong to the roster, not sure when he was moved to the Senior squad, but he's listed there now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived