Who should be "The Eddies"?

This kinda started on the Victoria to NASL thread by accident. Apologies to the Victoria lot.\

Anyway simple question. Who should be "The Eddies"? The Team or the Supporters group?

Please shoe horn in as many Iron Maiden, or other 'metal', refrences as possible please.

Althought " Bring yer Daughter to the (Victoria Highlanders) Slaughter is a perticular favorite of mine.

(Once again I appologies to anyone from VI for that last remark.)

I think it should be the team... there's my vote. I also think it's the best nickname anyone's come up with...

+1

Back in one of the other threads there was the suggestion of "Foote Soldiers" which was a little too militaristic for some. But others liked the military tie-in.

Well, the Loyal Edmonton Regiment (LER) is nicknamed the "Loyal Eddies" So how about calling the team the Eddies and the ESG the Loyal Eddies?

I think some people have been working the bottle pretty good.

Agreed.

ESG is fine by me. I think people are too caught up in trying to sound "cool" and come up with a catchy name. Not to call anyone out or sound harsh, but I see lots of posts about the ESG, its structure, what to do in the future and our name on this site, but yet I see the same few familiar faces at matches.

Come out to the matches, sit in our section, and join us afterwards at the pub and lets chat then about the name and the direction of this group.

Agreed.

ESG is fine by me. I think people are too caught up in trying to sound "cool" and come with catchy name. Not to call anyone out or sound harsh, but I see lots of posts about the ESG, its structure, what to do in the future and our name on this site, but yet I see the same few familiar faces at matches.

Come out to the matches, sit in our section, and join us afterwards at the pub and lets chat then about the name and the direction of this group.

Couldn't agree more CV.

Hmmm. I also like the nickname the Eddies for the team... I'm ok with the ESG... I think something that doesn't sound as generic without being overly thought out would be good. Some of the words instead of Group that I like are: Union, Bragade, Army, and Nation.

Hell New York Red Bulls have a group that call themselves "The First Row Idiots". We can be whatever we want without having to sound super cool.

You can count on me to be out for pint nights (Guinness at The Pint on Thursdays for $4!!!!) and whenever I can make the games I'll be there. Work is rather tricky as I work 12 hour shift work, and I work every other weekend.

I don't mind people are offering up suggestions at all. Let people get excited about the team and supporters groups for it. FCE is only going to grow. At least we have to believe that. Who knows if years from now, in the "eddies" section,alberta-white elbows Shawn and says; "you remember giving me s*** about the name eddies?"

I don't even know if Shawn, Sergio, Strobez, and a few others whose names I do not know even consider Steve and I a part yet. We will be more involved as time goes on of course. But lets face it, I have been to all games except the first two and the one between Colo-Colo and Viteria. But most of those games I sat with the people I dragged kicking and screaming as I forced them to open their wallets to support an infant organization.

I like all the names so far. I am down to meet for pints. I will need an excuse to get out of the house every so often once baby is born.

FT, of course you are a part, you've came out to a few matches, you've joined in with us, and you've came to the pub after. Thats what its all about. - I'm not starting a "I was there from day 1 so I run this show" type argument or discussion.

I agree, it's good if people are getting excited, I am just being a little realistic here and just saying that we aren't a U-Sector, or Red Patch Boys or UM02 or Southsiders....yet.

FT, of course you are a part, you've came out to a few matches, you've joined in with us, and you've came to the pub after. Thats what its all about. - I'm not starting a "I was there from day 1 so I run this show" type argument or discussion.

I agree, it's good if people are getting excited, I am just being a little realistic here and just saying that we aren't a U-Sector, or Red Patch Boys or UM02 or Southsiders....yet.

You almost have southsiders numbers already.

;)

I just want to say, among Montrealers, and perhaps TOR and VAN supporters, you're very well known as the ESG.

I don't mind people are offering up suggestions at all. Let people get excited about the team and supporters groups for it. FCE is only going to grow. At least we have to believe that. Who knows if years from now, in the "eddies" section,alberta-white elbows Shawn and says; "you remember giving me s*** about the name eddies?"

I don't even know if Shawn, Sergio, Strobez, and a few others whose names I do not know even consider Steve and I a part yet. We will be more involved as time goes on of course. But lets face it, I have been to all games except the first two and the one between Colo-Colo and Viteria. But most of those games I sat with the people I dragged kicking and screaming as I forced them to open their wallets to support an infant organization.

I like all the names so far. I am down to meet for pints. I will need an excuse to get out of the house every so often once baby is born.

FT , you get to the games which is something I can't do until next season, so as CV says you're ESG as much as you need to be. At present I have to just bore the pants of people, some of who are suprised we have a team to support and, who have on occasion turned up at Foote. One was actually a workmate from Salt Lake who went to a game after i told him FCE was playing. He was very impressed with the team, and the noise.

On the subject of kids however; My last born (of five- hence having to save up for games for next season) saw his first live game at the grand old age of 1 yr 3 months 5 days. It was Adelaide United versus Changchun Yetchia of China in an Asian Champions League fixture in 2008. Boring 0-0 and he's been hooked ever since.

When is the little one due by the way?

I'm not starting a "I was there from day 1 so I run this show" type argument or discussion.

Well, _I_ WAS there from day 1... and that's about it. ;)

Shawn, Sergio and I have been leading this charge in large part because when we started this little endeavour every member of the group was in charge... meaning there was basically three of us. I remember the looks Shawn and I exchanged when we were at the press conference and talking with the team reps... I'm not sure they knew that they were talking to the ESG reps... and full membership.

I'm really glad to see some people getting excited about this. For a while I was a little worried that it was just going to be three amigos, a (confiscated) whistle and a drum. I do have to agree with Shawn though, the most important thing any of us can do is show up for the games and scream our lungs out. Membership drives and fund raisers may come, but I'd rather see a few regulars having a good time more than anything else.

That being said, I am hoping to put together a little website/forum a la late lamented Hangar (where both the cool Aviators fans hung out and chatted). I'm not that comfortable using the teams forum, and once we're a real team in a real league we should probably evolve out from under the Voyageurs umbrella (which is not to say that we shouldn't ALSO be proud Voyageurs... game is coming up in early Sept. We should meet at E&C for that one!). I think ESG has more or less stuck, so I see no reason to change it up at this point.

I would love to but getting to the games on time is so hard lol><

Archived