Three Canadian PDL teams in playoffs and two hosting Conference finals

jasonm

2010 PDL Playoff Matchups Set

Final 16 to Fight for Spots at Championship Weekend

USL News Release

July 26, 2010

TAMPA, Fla. – With the 2010 Premier Development League schedule winding down today, playoff matchups have been set as 16 of the PDL’s 67 teams keep their title hopes alive. Eight division champions and eight runners-up will battle in a single-elimination format this weekend, with four remaining conference champions headed to the PDL Championship weekend August 6-7.

Leading the way into the conference playoffs are the Portland Timbers U23s, who turned in one of the greatest regular seasons in league history with a 16-0-0 mark in the highly-competitive Northwest Division. Portland enjoyed a 53-6 scoring edge while becoming the first undefeated and untied PDL team since 1998. First up for the Timbers and high-scoring forward Brent Richards at the Western Conference Championship in Kitsap is Hollywood United, which finished second in the Southwest Division with a 10-3-3 mark. The other Western Conference matchup features the host Kitsap Pumas, second to Portland in the Northwest, against the defending PDL champion Ventura County Fusion, who won the Southwest Division with an 11-4-1 mark. Kitsap posted a 12-2-2 mark, tied for the third best overall record in the PDL.

The only other undefeated team in the 2010 PDL regular season was the 11-0-3 Mississippi Brilla, who cruised to the Southeast Division title. Mississippi will host the Southern Conference Championship, opening against the 7-5-4 Houston Leones, second in the Mid South Division after winning a tiebreaker against the DFW Tornados. On the other side of the Southern Conference bracket, The Laredo Heat (9-5-2) captured the Mid South Division title and will take on the Baton Rouge Capitals, who finished second in the Southeast Division at 9-2-3.

The Central Conference Championship will take place in scenic Thunder Bay, Ontario, hosted by the Heartland Division champion Thunder Bay Chill. The Chill, led by PDL scoring leader Brandon Swartzendruber, finished with one of the top records in the league at 12-2-2 and will face fellow Ontarians Forest City London (10-1-5), led by scoring runner-up Luke Holmes. The Michigan Bucks claimed the Great Lakes Division title with a record of 11-3-2, earning a date against the 10-3-3 Rochester Thunder.

The Eastern Conference Championship will also take place north of the border, with the Northeast Division champion Ottawa Fury serving as host. The Fury (11-2-3) are undefeated at home this season and feature the second best defense in the PDL, but they’ll need to be on form to hold off the 10-3-3 Ironbound Express. Also looking to punch their ticket to the PDL final four is Reading United AC (10-2-4), which edged Ironbound for the Mid Atlantic Division title. Reading will take on PDL rookies MPS Portland Phoenix, who have impressed in their first season with a 10-2-4 mark.

The 2010 PDL Championship will take place August 6-7. The host site will be determined through a bid process once the four conference champions have been determined. The 2010 PDL Championship Game will be televised live on FOX Soccer Channel at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, August 7.

2010 PDL PLAYOFF SCHEDULES

Eastern Conference Championship (At Ottawa)

Saturday, July 31

#1 Reading United AC vs. #2 MPS Portland Phoenix, 4 p.m. ET

#1 Ottawa Fury vs. #2 Ironbound Express, 7 p.m. ET

Sunday, August 1

Semifinal 1 Winner vs. Semifinal 2 Winner, 4 p.m. ET

Central Conference Championship (At Thunder Bay)

Friday, July 30

#1 Michigan Bucks vs. #2 Rochester Thunder, 3 p.m. ET

#1 Thunder Bay Chill vs. #2 Forest City London, 5:30 p.m. ET

Saturday, July 31

Semifinal 1 Winner vs. Semifinal 2 Winner, 5:30 p.m. ET

Southern Conference Championship (At Mississippi)

Friday, July 30

#1 Laredo Heat vs. #2 Baton Rouge Capitals, 5 p.m. CT

#1 Mississippi Brilla vs. #2 Houston Leones, 7:30 p.m. CT

Sunday, August 1

Semifinal 1 Winner vs. Semifinal 2 Winner, 7 p.m. CT

Western Conference Championship (At Kitsap)

Saturday, July 31

#1 Portland Timbers U23s vs. #2 Hollywood United Hitmen, 1:30 p.m. PT

#1 Ventura County Fusion vs. #2 Kitsap Pumas, 5 p.m. PT

Sunday, August 1

Semifinal 1 Winner vs. Semifinal 2 Winner, 5 p.m. PT

2010 PDL Championship (Site TBD)

Friday, August 6

#1 Seed Conference Winner vs. #4 Seed Conference Winner, Time TBD

#2 Seed Conference Winner vs. #3 Seed Conference Winner, Time TBD

Saturday, August 7

Consolation Match, 3:30 p.m. ET

PDL Championship, 7 p.m. ET LIVE ON FOX SOCCER CHANNEL

I went to the Ottawa Fury's home game last weekend where they clinched the division title but will be out of town next weekend and will miss the Eastern Conference Championship. Does anyone know how the location of the PDL championship is selected. I would love to see that in Ottawa if the Fury make it.

I went to the Ottawa Fury's home game last weekend where they clinched the division title but will be out of town next weekend and will miss the Eastern Conference Championship. Does anyone know how the location of the PDL championship is selected. I would love to see that in Ottawa if the Fury make it.

It's in the body of the article: The host site will be determined through a bid process once the four conference champions have been determined.

Will try and make it out to Algonquin College for the Sat and Sun. I've been impressed with some of the quality in the matches I've seen so far (3 last season but only the MPS Portland one this season); just below Conference South/North in England.

It's in the body of the article: The host site will be determined through a bid process once the four conference champions have been determined.

Will try and make it out to Algonquin College for the Sat and Sun. I've been impressed with some of the quality in the matches I've seen so far (3 last season but only the MPS Portland one this season); just below Conference South/North in England.

Thanks! I read that twice and missed it both times. The atmosphere at their one playoff game last year was very good - standing room only. Hopefully that will be as good this year, with a better result.

Portland were the better team for large periods of their game today. Reading's goals were the result of poor marking by an otherwise solid defence, including the winner in the last minute of the ninety.

The Ironbound Express made life difficult for the Fury in the first half. They didn't allow Ottawa any time on the ball, especially in the midfield third, thus making it difficult to give their two strikers decent service. Second half however was a better display by the Fury and two well taken goals by Kevin Struthers put them into tomorrow's final against Reading.

Will be a tight affair I think, with the key matchup being the midfield battle of Reading's Luke Mulholland and Ottawa's Joel Thiessen. Reading will only have 12 players now as full-back Bibbs is probably ruled out with a hamstring injury he picked up today.

Fury lose 3-2...was at the game. Reffing was crap (but it was crap for both sides) and they really lost control.

I was extremely disappointed with the refs after the Reading coach repeatedly shouted f-bombs at the fans, especially since there were kids near where we were sitting and they were directed right at our group.

Ottawa didn't play well and didn't deserve to win the game.

I was at the Saturday games (couldn't make it on Sunday) and they were very scrappy affairs. I heard Sunday was just as spiky although probably better entertainment. And I agree with TFC Regina, the refereeing on Saturday was brutal; so was the attendance, or lack of. I know it was a long weekend but not being able to draw 600 for either day is pathetic.

It'll be the Portland Timbers U-23s vs. the Thunder Bay Chill in the final at 4:00 Pacific time at PGE Park in Portland.

Here are my match reports for the semifinals:

Thunder Bay Chill 2:1 Baton Rouge Capitals

http://www.soccercityusa.com/timbers/thu-bat-080610.htm

Portland Timbers U-23s 2:1 Reading United AC

http://www.soccercityusa.com/timbers/por-rea-080610.htm

The TB Chill has been a very successful Canadian club over the last few years, but isn't it strange that they have been met with such indifference by the Voyageurs - myself included? Perhaps it is their lack of Canadian talent or just no identifiable personalities to associate to the team. It's unfortunate. Any other theories?

Jason

^Lack of Canadian talent is what does it for me. Plus I know so little about them. Do they get a lot of people to their games? Do they register amongst the minds of the media in Thunder Bay?

I must say that the ref ruined the game by sending off the Chill player. I think that straight red was super harsh.

Archived