Two Brantford Galaxy (CSL) players training with TFC

hamiltonfan

On the CSL getting better thing I'd be interested to find out more about the background to Portugal FC's contribution to the latest U-17 roster. Is this a case of an affiliation with an elite youth club that would have done much the same job anyway without the link to a CSL team (that sort of scenario has unfolded in London in recent years with London City) or something genuinely along the lines of what clubs like Toronto Italia used to do?

I think a lot of the CSL teams are working with youth clubs now so that could be a reason.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the CSL getting better thing I'd be interested to find out more about the background to Portugal FC's contribution to the latest U-17 roster. Is this a case of an affiliation with an elite youth club that would have done much the same job anyway without the link to a CSL team (that sort of scenario has unfolded in London in recent years with London City) or something genuinely along the lines of what clubs like Toronto Italia used to do?

The Ontario U16 provincial team moved en masse to Portugal FC at the beginning of the season. These are not 'CSL developed' players, but are 'CSL seasoned' (much the same way TFC hasn't really developed its 16-year-olds but rather plucked them from the current youth system)

The Ontario U16 provincial team moved en masse to Portugal FC at the beginning of the season. These are not 'CSL developed' players, but are 'CSL seasoned' (much the same way TFC hasn't really developed its 16-year-olds but rather plucked them from the current youth system)

Lino, do you know what the reasoning was among these players to choose Portugal FC?

Interesting that the provincial program and TFC Academy would be two separate camps in a CSL reserve league context. I would have thought that TFC should be attracting many/most of the best players from the GTA that would normally be on the provincial team and the positive performances against Colo Colo and Bolton by players at the U-18 level suggests they probably are. I guess the OSA's coaches are still striving to maximize their level of involvement to continue to justify their existence on the payroll even after the arrival of TFC Academy on the scene. Hopefully eventually elite player development will be handed over completely to clubs that operate in the various top senior level leagues and the OSA's role will be confined to occasionally selecting representative sides. Without the major funding that would make a residency program possible a single centrally operated provincial program can never hope to properly cater to a province as large as Ontario as it can only really cater to players within easy traveling distance of the Soccer Centre in Vaughn.

Convenience, I assume... PFC needed a reserve team, and the boys needed a place to play (together)...

Ok, so the boys have made a concerted effort to stick together? Guessing that means some of them wouldn't have made the TFCA squad...Any idea on how the coaching at PFC compares to the coaching at TFCA (as in, would that have made a difference in choice)?

Also, Bryce Alderson is playing on the PFC first team. Might not have had the same opportunity this year at TFCA.

Ok, so the boys have made a concerted effort to stick together? Guessing that means some of them wouldn't have made the TFCA squad...Any idea on how the coaching at PFC compares to the coaching at TFCA (as in, would that have made a difference in choice)?

Also, Bryce Alderson is playing on the PFC first team. Might not have had the same opportunity this year at TFCA.

My 2 cents....I understand that these kids at PFC decided not to go to the TFC. and the TFC picked other players in their place. There are reasons why kids have declined or left the TFC. The TFC has a few 94 provincial players, PFC has some and others went back to their club teams. The 94,s that comprise the junior team are kids from two oysl teams Unionville and Islington. Very few from other clubs. Therefor you have a TFC jr. team in which kids have played together for some time.

As far as coaching, on one hand you have Neely on the other Isacco ....your choice. Right now at the Sum u17 cup the TFC has lost all 3 games with a goal differential of -9. Out of the 16 academy teams, they are presently last. This year they loaded the team with 8-9 kids who are 93's to add some muscle. Is their record at the sum cup due to not having the best talent or poor coaching and preparation?

As far as Bryce Alderson, over the years I have watched Bryce Alderson and Sergio Camargo develop as players, I would rate Bryce as the better player... others have as well, that is why he is captain of the U17 national team. The only problem about Bryce is, he is not getting as much print and accolades as others...One reason, he is not at the TFC.

Maybe the reason some of these players aren't choosing TFC is because they are wooried about their NCAA eligibility? TFC is on record saying they are going full Residency in September and are signing players to contracts (like Vancouver) so players would forfeit their NCAA eligibility. I don't pretend to know the real reason, just speculating.

My last cent....Something good must be happening at PFC..Preki's son was with the TFC academy during the winter and ended up at PFC. I do not know why? At least we know there are other avenues for these players to develop in the CSL other than the TFC... . Do not be surprised if the next group of players (95's) pick other avenues to develop their game. Milltown...Brantford... PFC ... York Shooters etc. etc

Maybe the reason some of these players aren't choosing TFC is because they are wooried about their NCAA eligibility? TFC is on record saying they are going full Residency in September and are signing players to contracts (like Vancouver) so players would forfeit their NCAA eligibility. I don't pretend to know the real reason, just speculating.

Link?

My last cent....Something good must be happening at PFC..Preki's son was with the TFC academy during the winter and ended up at PFC. I do not know why? At least we know there are other avenues for these players to develop in the CSL other than the TFC... . Do not be surprised if the next group of players (95's) pick other avenues to develop their game. Milltown...Brantford... PFC ... York Shooters etc. etc

I'm going to be careful with my words here, but when i first saw Bryce Alderson chose PFC instead of TFC i wondered whether the level of coaching might have something to do with it...what is the opinion in the elite youth player community (ie. players, parents, youth club coaches etc.) about the level of coaching at TFC?

Archived