Setanta HD Starts up August 1!

Vancouversoccerman

About bloody time. Was seriously thinking of taking a pass on Setanta this season. Really was coming down to the broadcast schedule and what Setanta was going to have that I wanted relative to the other footie friendly sports channels.

A free ten-day preview, capturing the opening two weekends of the Barclays Premier League season, will be available from August 13-22

• 1 year later...
Anyone else with SHD notice pretty **** quality signal in the Liverpool game?
I didn't see any of that game, but I saw some of the U20 WC, as well as some rugby when I randomly switched to the channel, and, yes, the quality was complete garbage. It looked like an SD source that was blown up to HD. Slower-moving images lacked sharpness and faster-moving images were full of aliasing. I have no interest in Setanta (if you don't watch the EPL then it's just not worth it), but if I did then I would first question them about this before signing up for their HD.

I'm finding that many HD signals suffer from such problems (though not usually as severe), particularly with live sports. I think we're being duped as many providers are skimping out. Compare to those specialty HD channels like HDNet (which used to carry MLS -- the best video quality I've ever seen for sports) and Oasis HD (all nature shows, all the time --the visuals are stunning) and you'll see what is really possible with HD (I don't currently receive them but I've seen the free previews in the past).

Archived