2 new DPs

Jeremy

I just found out Nery was coming to MLS. He was a member of City a few years back but saw very limited action under Sven. I think he was on loan more then he was with the team. He moved on to one of the Turkish superclubs but I don't think he was effective there. He is still young and it would be interesting to see if he can bring the game that has made him the most expensive Mexican player in history (total of all transfer dealings)

If Chicago is hoping to maintain the interest of Mexicans in Chicago by signing Castillo he's not the best option. He's not popular in Mexico after alienating the media and public with his tirade last year. On top of that, he's not really considered a true Mexican. He's as Mexican as Steve Nash is South African. If Castillo starts getting calls to the Mexican team again then it might work out for Chicago as they can claim a regular Mexican international on their roster. But as far as getting the attention of the Mexican community a player like Omar Bravo is the better signing.

If Chicago is hoping to maintain the interest of Mexicans in Chicago by signing Castillo he's not the best option. He's not popular in Mexico after alienating the media and public with his tirade last year. On top of that, he's not really considered a true Mexican. He's as Mexican as Steve Nash is South African. If Castillo starts getting calls to the Mexican team again then it might work out for Chicago as they can claim a regular Mexican international on their roster. But as far as getting the attention of the Mexican community a player like Omar Bravo is the better signing.

Or.... maybe they signed him because they like him as a player.

Or.... maybe they signed him because they like him as a player.

If you think that's the sole motivation you're naive. The fact is that Blanco gave them a big ticket boost and made the team relevant in the hispanic community. Yes, he also performed but they never would've paid him that much (2.7 million) if he wasn't a Mexican hero. Losing him jeopardized all of that. That's why they were trying to re-sign him until last week even though he's now 37 and fatter/slower than he's ever been before. It was no longer about how much he could perform but how much he could keep the Mexican community engaged.

Yes, I'm sure they do like Castillo as a player and will help the team but the fact he's Mexican is no coincidence. My point is if they're going to pay him big dollars they won't get the off field return on investment they're expecting.

Looks like Castillo is a bit of a headcase:

Castillo scored his first goal for Shakhtar while playing against SV Salzburg in the Champions League. His stint was to be brief, though. Castillo had only played in a few games for Shakhtar when in a league match versus FC Naftovyk-Ukrnafta Okhtyrka, Shakhtar won a penalty kick. Castillo refused to give the ball to official penalty kick-taker Cristiano Lucarelli and took the penalty himself, which was saved. Castillo was immediately substituted from the game. Coach Mircea Lucescu commented "What Castillo did, from a professional point of view, I've never seen anything like it before in my whole life. There will be some measures taken against Castillo". He has not played a game for Shakhtar since.

Looks like Castillo is a bit of a headcase:

Castillo scored his first goal for Shakhtar while playing against SV Salzburg in the Champions League. His stint was to be brief, though. Castillo had only played in a few games for Shakhtar when in a league match versus FC Naftovyk-Ukrnafta Okhtyrka, Shakhtar won a penalty kick. Castillo refused to give the ball to official penalty kick-taker Cristiano Lucarelli and took the penalty himself, which was saved. Castillo was immediately substituted from the game. Coach Mircea Lucescu commented "What Castillo did, from a professional point of view, I've never seen anything like it before in my whole life. There will be some measures taken against Castillo". He has not played a game for Shakhtar since.

Wow, that is unbelievable. Even Blanco and Marquez had more class than that

Archived