Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

add commentJust up on the Journal

EDMONTON — Two employees were empowered to run the day-to-day operations of the Alberta Soccer Association and the two rival boards ordered to stand down by a Court of Queen’s Bench justice Wednesday.

Assistant accountant Khalid Abdu-Khalil and competitions co-ordinator Nicholas Goddard will jointly run the Edmonton office of the ASA. Should they require guidance they will be able to consult a specified member of each of the rival boards that have been fighting one another for control of the association since late April. The warring groups are led by ASA president Chris Billings and vice-president Mario Charpentier.

“We felt it was important they be people within the Alberta Soccer Association staff,” said Don Cranston, a lawyer representing the Billings board. “These are the two people who have been generous enough to agree.”

Abdu-Khalil and Goddard will be allowed to consult Les Hodges, who represents the Billings board and Jeff DuBerger, a member of the Charpentier board. All other board members are not to interfere in the operations of the ASA until a declaration is made as to the rightful board’s identity or a new election is held at a special general meeting or the annual general meeting.

In addition, all ASA monies that had been deposited in various bank accounts and into a trust account with the Billings group lawyers in Calgary will be deposited in the ASA account at a TD Bank in west Edmonton. That account had been frozen by the bank during the upheaval because of confusion over who should have access to it. Only Abdu-Khalil and Goddard will have access to the account while they act as interim caretakers.

Cranston spoke in favour of the interim order on Wednesday while counsel for the Charpentier board neither opposed nor consented to the order, citing directives from the Canadian Soccer Association that the matter not be in court at all. Another court application filed by the Billings board, which seeks to have them declared the duly elected ASA executive or in the alternative to have a new election of officers, was adjourned to a date on or about Aug. 13, pending availability of counsel for both sides.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Detente+Alberta+soccer/3305337/story.html#ixzz0uLC6XM11

I note the truculent not really detente attitude from the Mario et al lawyer. I suspect the entire Billings side will be CSA suspended shortly.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see this as just another stalling tactic. Does this give Goddard the authority to confirm Provincial sites, teams, schedules without interference from the rest of the Mario side?

When will ASA post something on their front page that all Districts are in good standing and previously announced Provincial sites will be confirmed?

I'd post updates but Goddard does not seem to return phone calls.

If I was Khalid and Nick my first two priorities would be

1. Change the locks on the ASA office so that no board member from either side has access.

2. Give myself a raise (they are going to earn it, I hope they know what they are in for)

Mario and Colin have long memories. If these two boys are deemed to have crossed them (and they get control back) there will be consequences.

It will be interesting to see CSA's next move. I wonder what the courts would say about CSA suspending the court appointed contact point for the Billings group (Les)

In reality this should be good news for CSA. They claimed in previous correspondence that this dispute had done CSA financial harm as ASA could not access funds in the TD Bank account to pay their CSA dues. This decision helps undo that financial harm. I suspect they won't see it as good news though.

I note the truculent not really detente attitude from the Mario et al lawyer. I suspect the entire Billings side will be CSA suspended shortly.

At this point I don't think a suspension from CSA really matters. Khalid and Nick are running the show for the time being. CSA can do what they want but they can't overrule the judge. I wish the judge would have stipulated that ASA not make any payments to CSA until this is sorted out.

CSA can't have it both ways. They can't continually demand their share of the fees from ASA while simultaneously failing to recognize the court appointed leadership of ASA.

Can they order an audit by an accounting firm?

After changing the locks that would be my choice for task # 2.

If the CSA does anything before the court hears the case on/about Aug 13th they will be ignored. Nothing the CSA can do will stand up and could cost them a trip to court. More legal fees for the CSA and nothing to show for it? Sounds about right for them. It is high time that the rest of the CSA board reign in the executive even if it means calling their own SGM.

So if Khalid and Nick are running the day-to-day operations, what now happens to the Operations Manager, Anthony Traficante?

Interesting note...an email from A. Traficante today to AMSL teams states that if any teams require additional game sheets, substitution forms, misconduct reports, etc. they should request them and they will be mailed out immediately.

I wonder why someone can't just go to the ASA office to pick them up if they so wished?

Can they order an audit by an accounting firm?

After changing the locks that would be my choice for task # 2.

ASA gets audited every year. What they really need is the type of audit similar to what the auditor general does for the government. (is proper value being obtained for money received, what potential conflicts or shortcomings are there in the policies and management of ASA, are contracts being properly tendered (if ASA needed an online training forum was anyone besides skillstorm considered? If so, why was skillstorm the preferred option - stuff like that))

I'd also like to see an audit of emails between board members to see what promises have been made, are there any shady deals or conflicts there. Maybe even extend it to communications between board members and staff - were board members from either side threatening and harassing staff? What leverage did they use to try and get their way?

Let's find out what kind of people our board members really are.

ASA gets audited every year. What they really need is the type of audit similar to what the auditor general does for the government. (is proper value being obtained for money received, what potential conflicts or shortcomings are there in the policies and management of ASA, are contracts being properly tendered (if ASA needed an online training forum was anyone besides skillstorm considered? If so, why was skillstorm the preferred option - stuff like that))

I'd also like to see an audit of emails between board members to see what promises have been made, are there any shady deals or conflicts there. Maybe even extend it to communications between board members and staff - were board members from either side threatening and harassing staff? What leverage did they use to try and get their way?

^^ What he said :)

I know non-profits are audited but yes that is exactly the type of audit I was thinking of. Thanks

Haven't seen the final copy of the orders yet so I would reserve comments for now other than the response of the Charpenier group was exactly as expected. They will now await orders from their CSA masters.

If my memory serves me correctly, at the last AGM Colin Innes asked for an appointment of one particular accounting firm - they apparently "have been doing it for years."

Given what we know about this chap (I am sure it's only a tip of the iceberg) and his dealings, this should constitute enough a reason to be appoint someone else. Better yet, we should insist on a court appointed forensic audit.

We need to audit asa to find out how the treasurer got an untendered contract for a service that the membership does not even have access to. What sort of organizations do that? What sort of organizations hire a former board members son who is now in a higher position at CSA and promote him 3 levels in 5 months while they are firing and running off all the rest of the staff? What kind of organizations go through staff at almost 100% turnover every other year? What kind of organizations spend 20% of their budget on legal fees and related costs? What the heck are the members getting in services for their money? I could go on...

Haven't seen the final copy of the orders yet so I would reserve comments for now other than the response of the Charpenier group was exactly as expected. They will now await orders from their CSA masters.

I am getting a visual, MC, CI et al, sitting on their hunches are begging for treats – my dog can do way more tricks!

This thread is already long enough. Please don't bring our friend at minorsoccer.com (and numerous other web sites) into this or the thread will grow exponentially and we'll lose track of its original purpose.

I believe there will now be a court action against you just for mentioning his web sites.

So, at the end of all of this, what can we do?

I truly believe it all starts at your District level and works its way up. Each District that has supported the Mario group needs to be cleaned/straightened out. Only way to do that is go to your Districts AGM and vote in a new board. The word must get out there to invoke this change. I know we all hate chain letter emails, but it may be the only way to get this all out in the open.

1. Setup an email to every soccer contact you have. In that email post links to everything you can find on the ASA battles for the last 5 months or so. The journal has lots, this site included of course and so on.

2. Explain to your contacts that they can sit by and do nothing or get involved and help in this change.

3. Get your contacts to consider running for the board.

4. Get your contacts now to forward on this email to their own contacts. If he/she actually cares about soccer in their District they will do so once they do all the reading and make their own opinions.

I know this is pretty basic thinking, but we have to start somewhere.

Please post your thoughts, negative or positive.

I like the idea of the facebook suggestion a few pages back also but thought I would post this as another.

So, at the end of all of this, what can we do?

I truly believe it all starts at your District level and works its way up. Each District that has supported the Mario group needs to be cleaned/straightened out. Only way to do that is go to your Districts AGM and vote in a new board. The word must get out there to invoke this change. I know we all hate chain letter emails, but it may be the only way to get this all out in the open.

1. Setup an email to every soccer contact you have. In that email post links to everything you can find on the ASA battles for the last 5 months or so. The journal has lots, this site included of course and so on.

2. Explain to your contacts that they can sit by and do nothing or get involved and help in this change.

3. Get your contacts to consider running for the board.

4. Get your contacts now to forward on this email to their own contacts. If he/she actually cares about soccer in their District they will do so once they do all the reading and make their own opinions.

I know this is pretty basic thinking, but we have to start somewhere.

Please post your thoughts, negative or positive.

I like the idea of the facebook suggestion a few pages back also but thought I would post this as another.

I like it.

I think it needs to be a multi-faceted strategy in order to be truly effective. Facebook is one way, email and direct communication another. I'm sure there are many other great ideas out there too.

The bottom line is we need to recruit and elect quality individuals for board positions. One of the reasons we are in this position is that no one else wants to step up and run in the elections. I can't blame anyone for that either. The reward for winning the election is to have everyone second guess all your decisions.

We need to elect people we can trust to act in the best interest of soccer and support them in their roles.

However, we do need to monitor their performance and not let apathy get the best of us. Mario has been allowed to work unchecked for many reasons, not the least of which is that people did not care enough to question him and rally the troops to defeat him in elections.

Maybe Khalid and Nick should pull the funding on Colin and Robert's all expense paid trips to Nationals. Let em find their own way home.

Right now they have no standing to represent ASA.

...or maybe their buddies at CSA should foot the bill

OC> Perhaps Colin could expense the trip to skillstorm as he is likely doing their business anyway.

You are not suggesting that the right honorable Mr. Innes would even consider taking advantage of this trip to market his own business venture are you?

Of course, even the fact that it can be mentioned is the exact reason he can't be a board member. The very real potential for a conflict of interest exists. He may be doing nothing wrong at all, but the optics of it stink.

According to the bylaws he was required to advise the membership at the election as to his financial conflict of interest-he would have gone through two elections with this conflict but i cant recall this ever coming up-can you OC? Yes-directors are to avoid actual conflicts and the appearance of conflicts-you cant think that the selection of his skillstorm employee as a tech director and provincials coach would be an actual conflict do you? Not saying he wasnt qualified but just the same...

According to the bylaws he was required to advise the membership at the election as to his financial conflict of interest-he would have gone through two elections with this conflict but i cant recall this ever coming up-can you OC? Yes-directors are to avoid actual conflicts and the appearance of conflicts-you cant think that the selection of his skillstorm employee as a tech director and provincials coach would be an actual conflict do you? Not saying he wasnt qualified but just the same...

I have no recollection of him declaring his conflict immedietly upon election (required in writing). I know anecdotally that he did declare the conflict at the time of the executive vote about awarding the business to Skillstorm. There have been conflicting reports as to whether or not everyone on the ASA board at the time was aware of the full value of the contract and what the true expense to ASA was going to be. I have no personal knowledge about what was or was not disclosed at that time

When he was re-elected this year, I think most people probably knew of the potential for conflict yet he was still voted back in for another term. Sure, there were some strategic alliances at play (is this an episode of survivor??) but the information was out there. Still, he is required to declare the conflict in writing and without delay.

Archived