Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

A breakdown in communication...in other words they were never negotiating in good faith and were only buying time.

Well,well, word just in that Gowlings (lawyers for Mario et al) have guaranteed that all Districts will be in good standing. Further on shenanigans in the office, the door lock code was changed on the weekend either by Anthony T. or by someone who got the code from him. No one else was able to enter the office yesterday so the info I received was speculative in nature as to what they were doing in the office. So possibly no document shredding was going on at all. Perhaps the office is just a nice place to relax with no one able to get in and bother someone who may have just gone there to take a nap. Who knows?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well,well, word just in that Gowlings (lawyers for Mario et al) have guaranteed that all Districts will be in good standing.

Let me repeat a phrase bandied about by a Gowling's client:

" A lawyer is not an Association". Therefore the guarantee is that "solid", also CSA is not bound by the Gowling guarantee.

Below is a letter that comes from an individual with a long time involvement in soccer in Alberta. This person did not receive a response as CSA has directed that all correspondence must go through their legal firm. Of course anything uncomfortable is never passed on by the president. I believe whether they are allowed to reply or not, these Board members need to know that people across Canada are bloody angry about this.

As far as contact with governments go, you should all know that CSA has launched in again today with a letter indicating that the court action had to be withdrawn by Wed. of this week or else there will be consequences. The Minister of Sport for Canada and Sport Canada should be advised of the CSA interference, biased view and conflict of interest.

Sport canada email is; sportcanada@pch.gc.ca the person who has been working with CSA working committee on their governance package is Annette Wildgoose.

The Minister of Sport for Canada is The Honourable Gary Lunn

Date: June 24, 2010 7:44:24 AM PDT (CA)

To: Dominic Maestracci <dmaestracci@soccercan.ca>, Dominique External <dominique.maestracci@telus.blackberry.net>, Dominique U Montreal <dominique.maestracci@umontreal.ca>, John Knox <jknox@soccercan.ca>, JohnK External <jonlor@golden.net>, Mike Traficante <mtraficante@soccercan.ca>, Peter Montopoli <pmontopoli@soccercan.ca>, Rob Newman <robnewman31@hotmail.com>, Rob Newman <rob_newman@cooperators.ca>, Steve Reed External <sreed@manningelliott.com>, Steven Reed <sreed@soccercan.ca>, Victor Montagliani <Victor.Montagliani@hubinternational.com>, Victor Montagliani <vmontagliani@soccercan.ca>, Bob Laver <blaver@soccercan.ca>, Charlie Cuzzetto <charlie.cuzzetto@vancouver.ca>, Charlie Cuzzetto <ccuzzetto@soccercan.ca>, Chris Billings <cbillings@soccercan.ca>, Clive Wilkinson <clivew@soccer.on.ca>, Clive Wilkinson <clivewilkinson1@gmail.com>, Clive Wilkinson <cwilkinson@soccercan.ca>, Dino External <dino.niki@bonbonrio.com>, Dino Madonis <dmadonis@soccercan.ca>, Doug External <DREDMOND@gov.nl.ca>, Doug Redmond <dredmond@soccercan.ca>, Gerald MacDonald <gmacdonald@soccercan.ca>

Subject: Alberta Soccer Association

Following from my e-mail to Mr. Montopoli, I was a witness to the overwhelming vote of non-confidence that 16 of the 18 Alberta Member Districts lodged at the ASA Special General Meeting held in Red Deer on April 24. What was even more compelling were the numerous stories brought forward by the member districts of the influence peddling long term members of the ASA board have been engaged in over their years in power. These board members (9 out of a standing 11) were unanimously voted out but for one single abstention. The soccer community of Alberta has spoken and their statement is indisputable - we want a board who acts on behalf of ALL the members and ALL the players and ALL the coaches and ALL the parents. We don't want a board filled with individuals who each constitute their own little special interest group.

I am a long time soccer advocate in Alberta and that these individuals have been allowed to run amok and unfettered for so long is a disgrace to soccer in Canada - to Alberta and an insult to every young player coming up through the soccer ranks from community league to elite provincial select team players to national team prospects.

What has happened in the interim since these members were voted out is nothing short of ludicrous, and bordering on the insane - I u/s that Mr. Mario Charpentier (President of the Edmonton Minor Soccer Association) and Ms. Christine Chatter (President of the Sherwood Park Soccer Association) broke into the ASA office 2 days ago (this is called break and enter and trespass) and have fired a number of staff members, and I might add with no authority to do so. The new Board duly elected on April 24 have been properly registered with Alberta Registries and are the only individuals permitted to act on behalf of the ASA and us, it's members. That these members would take such drastic measures should alert you to their state of mind.

It is time for our governing body to get on the right side of this mess - do recall last time these individuals flared up there were court proceedings in which the ASA was sorely beaten and costs were awarded against them (or I guess us as we may these expenses). I am not putting anymore of my hard earned money towards defense of a corrupted board!

The Board recognized with the Alberta Registries is the board recognized by the members and districts of Alberta. We have the right to choose our leadership and we have done so.

Regards,

Soccer Advocate

Well,well, word just in that Gowlings (lawyers for Mario et al) have guaranteed that all Districts will be in good standing.

I wonder if Gowlings warned their clients that if they don't show some attempt at being reasonable and negotiating in good faith that the wrath of the judge could be swift and brutal??? Just speculating here.

Below is a letter that comes from an individual with a long time involvement in soccer in Alberta. This person did not receive a response as CSA has directed that all correspondence must go through their legal firm. Of course anything uncomfortable is never passed on by the president. I believe whether they are allowed to reply or not, these Board members need to know that people across Canada are bloody angry about this.

As far as contact with governments go, you should all know that CSA has launched in again today with a letter indicating that the court action had to be withdrawn by Wed. of this week or else there will be consequences. The Minister of Sport for Canada and Sport Canada should be advised of the CSA interference, biased view and conflict of interest.

Sport canada email is; sportcanada@pch.gc.ca the person who has been working with CSA working committee on their governance package is Annette Wildgoose.

The Minister of Sport for Canada is The Honourable Gary Lunn

Date: June 24, 2010 7:44:24 AM PDT (CA)

To: Dominic Maestracci <dmaestracci@soccercan.ca>, Dominique External <dominique.maestracci@telus.blackberry.net>, Dominique U Montreal <dominique.maestracci@umontreal.ca>, John Knox <jknox@soccercan.ca>, JohnK External <jonlor@golden.net>, Mike Traficante <mtraficante@soccercan.ca>, Peter Montopoli <pmontopoli@soccercan.ca>, Rob Newman <robnewman31@hotmail.com>, Rob Newman <rob_newman@cooperators.ca>, Steve Reed External <sreed@manningelliott.com>, Steven Reed <sreed@soccercan.ca>, Victor Montagliani <Victor.Montagliani@hubinternational.com>, Victor Montagliani <vmontagliani@soccercan.ca>, Bob Laver <blaver@soccercan.ca>, Charlie Cuzzetto <charlie.cuzzetto@vancouver.ca>, Charlie Cuzzetto <ccuzzetto@soccercan.ca>, Chris Billings <cbillings@soccercan.ca>, Clive Wilkinson <clivew@soccer.on.ca>, Clive Wilkinson <clivewilkinson1@gmail.com>, Clive Wilkinson <cwilkinson@soccercan.ca>, Dino External <dino.niki@bonbonrio.com>, Dino Madonis <dmadonis@soccercan.ca>, Doug External <DREDMOND@gov.nl.ca>, Doug Redmond <dredmond@soccercan.ca>, Gerald MacDonald <gmacdonald@soccercan.ca>

Subject: Alberta Soccer Association

Following from my e-mail to Mr. Montopoli, I was a witness to the overwhelming vote of non-confidence that 16 of the 18 Alberta Member Districts lodged at the ASA Special General Meeting held in Red Deer on April 24. What was even more compelling were the numerous stories brought forward by the member districts of the influence peddling long term members of the ASA board have been engaged in over their years in power. These board members (9 out of a standing 11) were unanimously voted out but for one single abstention. The soccer community of Alberta has spoken and their statement is indisputable - we want a board who acts on behalf of ALL the members and ALL the players and ALL the coaches and ALL the parents. We don't want a board filled with individuals who each constitute their own little special interest group.

I am a long time soccer advocate in Alberta and that these individuals have been allowed to run amok and unfettered for so long is a disgrace to soccer in Canada - to Alberta and an insult to every young player coming up through the soccer ranks from community league to elite provincial select team players to national team prospects.

What has happened in the interim since these members were voted out is nothing short of ludicrous, and bordering on the insane - I u/s that Mr. Mario Charpentier (President of the Edmonton Minor Soccer Association) and Ms. Christine Chatter (President of the Sherwood Park Soccer Association) broke into the ASA office 2 days ago (this is called break and enter and trespass) and have fired a number of staff members, and I might add with no authority to do so. The new Board duly elected on April 24 have been properly registered with Alberta Registries and are the only individuals permitted to act on behalf of the ASA and us, it's members. That these members would take such drastic measures should alert you to their state of mind.

It is time for our governing body to get on the right side of this mess - do recall last time these individuals flared up there were court proceedings in which the ASA was sorely beaten and costs were awarded against them (or I guess us as we may these expenses). I am not putting anymore of my hard earned money towards defense of a corrupted board!

The Board recognized with the Alberta Registries is the board recognized by the members and districts of Alberta. We have the right to choose our leadership and we have done so.

Regards,

Soccer Advocate

Great Letter

perhaps we might all access this contact list and let the directors of csa-those not on the executive-what the executive is doing in their name. Pressure could be brought to bare on those who might be embarrased by these actions. Or do these provincial presidents think what happened to chris could well happen to them and it would be ok.

Anyone have an update on the SP hearing tonight re: suspended coaches that went to T4 Rural Provincials?

They were found guilty, but only given 7 day suspensions....retroactive to the day they received their suspension notices.

Sounds like SPDSA took the easy way out, guilty to satisfy their ASA master, no punishment to try to defuse the situation and make it go away.

They were found guilty, but only given 7 day suspensions....retroactive to the day they received their suspension notices.

Sounds like SPDSA took the easy way out, guilty to satisfy their ASA master, no punishment to try to defuse the situation and make it go away.

That is the very easy way out. Sounds like Christine needed some "official" punishment but maybe was struggling to get support of everyone else. It's a suspension thats not a suspension. Either way, the coaches did a great thing for their team and for soccer and I'm glad there is no lasting effect.

Bob-Sounds like sherwood park are feeling the heat. What is the mood in the soccer community in Sherwood park to your executive jumping in on the dark side of this issue? Can you give any background to why this may be? I always have considered Sherwood park an enlightened district then they gassed Rangers-one of the most successful soccer clubs in Canada. Doesnt seem like it was a move for the better for competetive in sherwood park. Seems to have worked out nicely for Edmonton Scottish who seem the prime beneficiary of sherwood park players.

CSA interference in local issues.

CSA say that members cant go to court or they will be kicked out/punished and they imply that FIFA supports them on this. I find this odd in light of the Bosman ruling and the aftermath of this ruling wherein an obscure Belgian player took his soccer federation to court over employment issues. He won and that ruling has been used in all EU countries wherein the local FA has tried to impose import restrictions on rosters or otherwise restricting the movement of players. The ruling is a precedent to prevent the FA's from treating soccer players differently in employment than any other EU person. In this case uefa and the local FAs have respected the court decision over a local issue and Fifa has done nothing.

To me this is no different than the ASA matter-this is a local issue over the memberships right to choose their leadership under their own bylaws and the societies act which mandates those bylaws-this is the defintion of a local issue yet CSA presumes to dictate to us who our leadership should be and deny us the right to clarify that in a court of law. This is outrageous in Canada or any other country that honors the rule of law. I think they are morally and legally wrong in this matter and the more people aware of this issue the better. Would we allow Canadian parliament to decide who our MP is or our premier? Why would CSA have this power? Presumably CSA thinks Alberta is a small fry and they can take part in bullying over half the province into coming in line with their chosen quislings.

I think they underestimate us but we shall see.

Bob-Sounds like sherwood park are feeling the heat. What is the mood in the soccer community in Sherwood park to your executive jumping in on the dark side of this issue? Can you give any background to why this may be? I always have considered Sherwood park an enlightened district then they gassed Rangers-one of the most successful soccer clubs in Canada. Doesnt seem like it was a move for the better for competetive in sherwood park. Seems to have worked out nicely for Edmonton Scottish who seem the prime beneficiary of sherwood park players.

It's hard to say. I'm not some lurking board member with an agenda, so I don't pretend to have any sort of inside information, but the overall situation seems to be one of apathy. I suspect that some good people will not be standing for re-election for the SP board at the next AGM. A quote that I keep hearing out here regarding the situation is "unless you are willing to take the job, don't be trying to cut the head of the beast off". I have no clue as to the politics and how SPDSA came down on the ASA side they did. The current leadership came to power in a blind-side coup about 3 years back that bounced out the "old boys club" at the AGM, and have implemented a number of changes....some good, some bad. I'm not close to or "in the know" to the competitive side but I can add that some SPDSA board members have their own kids playing competitive soccer outside the district. That sends a bit of an interesting message in itself.

It's hard to say. I'm not some lurking board member with an agenda, so I don't pretend to have any sort of inside information, but the overall situation seems to be one of apathy. I suspect that some good people will not be standing for re-election for the SP board at the next AGM. A quote that I keep hearing out here regarding the situation is "unless you are willing to take the job, don't be trying to cut the head of the beast off". I have no clue as to the politics and how SPDSA came down on the ASA side they did. The current leadership came to power in a blind-side coup about 3 years back that bounced out the "old boys club" at the AGM, and have implemented a number of changes....some good, some bad. I'm not close to or "in the know" to the competitive side but I can add that some SPDSA board members have their own kids playing competitive soccer outside the district. That sends a bit of an interesting message in itself.

The last bit will certainly remind 1867 of a situation a few years ago somewhere south of Edmonton.

We had the same situation in Red Deer some 8 years ago-three board members were all about participation and the need not to cut any kids at competetive but they all had their kids playing out of district. we had to form our own competetive club to remedy that. Hasnt been perfect but better serves the better committed kids and keeps house league politics out. It is difficult to balance the needs of the whole soccer population and the competetive under one roof. What you get is the quasi competetives getting on the board and wanting to bring the levels of the competetives down to where their kids can play or they can coach. This is a classic scenario and it is the reason that competetives should be seperate so they pay their own way and they are free to make the hard decisions that competetives have to make.

Seems like the United people took over the board at Sherwood park and have been busy driving the Rangers people out. United had all their teams playing tier 3 in Emsa. Is that the coup you were talking about or am i way off?

The whole reason why the Rangers dissolved was due to the District slowly taking away their control. See, the Rangers existed because the District allowed them too. When the District started taking away the Rangers control of their own program, over time, the Rangers got tired of fighting them and essentially gave up the battle. Since then there has been little to no coaching development and even less player development. At least when Leo(NTC) was involved with the Rangers we had regular player development sessions, now we have nothing with the Phoenix. I used to be a huge supporter of the SPDSA but not anymore and I know the overall community also feels the same way.

It is really said if you look at how successful the Rangers were. They were like #14 in the country as far as standings go a few years back. Where is Phoenix T1 & T2 now you ask? Look at the EIYSA standings.

Quick Summary as of July 16th:

Stats are Current Place / # Teams in division

Division Boys Girls

U12 T1 9/11 6/7

U12 T2 6/12 2/9

U14 T1 6/10 3/8

U14 T2 4/9 5/7

U16 T1 Vacant Vacant

U16 T2 2/5 Vacant

U18 T1 3/10 Vacant

U18 T2 Vacant Vacant

boneheader

You are absolutely right. The needs of the non-competetives will always take precedence over the competetives when you are under one roof. what has occured is you have emsafied your competetives-i think you know what i mean there. With the hous making up 90% of the group of course you will have the program designed for the lowest common denominator-i dont denigrate house but dont make competetive decisions with house league people in charge.

5 years ago Sherwood park was the envy of Alberta-we lost many players to sherwood park rangers-it was the place to go-great tech assistance.

i recall you guys having 2 -18 girls and boys teams and at least one team in every tier 1 and 2 category.

On a side note-look what happened to your terrific -18 team that went the emsa route? what sort of technical decision was that? You put them in a league with 1 other competetive team in Emsa. They went from nationals to folding. Some people should hang their heads. Had you had a club making decisions there rather than the SPDSA clowns this would not have occurred. Now you have no teams below to fill this void. Your competetive program has been decapitated and some people should care.

What does this have to do with the ASA debacle? I think this is a microcosm of the province in that Sherwood park has fallen in with EMSA and Mario and has allowed their own programs to be destroyed and provincially you are propping up the same people whose concerns are more with turf then the game. It is not too late to take things back but the soccer people have to step up and take their district back.

CSA interference in local issues.

CSA say that members cant go to court or they will be kicked out/punished and they imply that FIFA supports them on this. I find this odd in light of the Bosman ruling and the aftermath of this ruling wherein an obscure Belgian player took his soccer federation to court over employment issues. He won and that ruling has been used in all EU countries wherein the local FA has tried to impose import restrictions on rosters or otherwise restricting the movement of players. The ruling is a precedent to prevent the FA's from treating soccer players differently in employment than any other EU person. In this case uefa and the local FAs have respected the court decision over a local issue and Fifa has done nothing.

To me this is no different than the ASA matter-this is a local issue over the memberships right to choose their leadership under their own bylaws and the societies act which mandates those bylaws-this is the defintion of a local issue yet CSA presumes to dictate to us who our leadership should be and deny us the right to clarify that in a court of law. This is outrageous in Canada or any other country that honors the rule of law. I think they are morally and legally wrong in this matter and the more people aware of this issue the better. Would we allow Canadian parliament to decide who our MP is or our premier? Why would CSA have this power? Presumably CSA thinks Alberta is a small fry and they can take part in bullying over half the province into coming in line with their chosen quislings.

I think they underestimate us but we shall see.

I think CSA could find themselves in very hot water in this issue. The executive is keeping information and decisions from the directors (the directors weren't even sent copies of the communications CSA sent to ASA (Billings and Charpentier)). They are attempting to interfere in the legal process and I have a hard time believing the courts will take kindly to that.

I believe they are nervous this decision could go against them and they are making a last ditch effort to get their own way.

Sorry everyone for being off topic here

Yeah it is a disgrace to say the least. Phoenix comes in as the Rangers die, fees go up, player & coaching development goes into the toilet. They keep telling us, we are in the process of rebuilding, yeah right. The years tick by!!!!!!

Rumors are already out there that Chater will switch all the EIYSA teams to EMSA. That will truly be the end of the competitive T1 & T2's. I am not slamming EMSA here guys, we already have our T3 teams(old United) playing in EMSA and most do quite well in the T1/T2 EMSA divisions.

Once the dust settles, I am sure Sherwood Park Soccer we have a really strong T3 program, but that will be about it.

Sorry everyone for being off topic here

Yeah it is a disgrace to say the least. Phoenix comes in as the Rangers die, fees go up, player & coaching development goes into the toilet. They keep telling us, we are in the process of rebuilding, yeah right. The years tick by!!!!!!

Rumors are already out there that Chater will switch all the EIYSA teams to EMSA. That will truly be the end of the competitive T1 & T2's. I am not slamming EMSA here guys, we already have our T3 teams(old United) playing in EMSA and most do quite well in the T1/T2 EMSA divisions.

Once the dust settles, I am sure Sherwood Park Soccer we have a really strong T3 program, but that will be about it.

Leave Mario and Colin in power in Alberta and you could say the same thing about the whole province.

I have no doubt chaters will move all the teams to emsa-why do you think Mario has been working her? There is no doubt that putting the tier 3 and 4 teams in emsa is good for sherwood park-where else would they go-the problem is they started putting their 1 and 2 teams in there in order to have more success and as a result they are losing kids by the bushel and competetive kids and their parents know the difference between extreme or rio terrace and Inter and southwest. Since they are never sure of what tech decision will be made for their kids team parents will put their kids in the division that all the provincials players are in so they leave. Simple as that

Now back in the day when rangers were around and they trusted the paid tech director to make the right decision people stayed with the club. When you lose that trust you are on a slippery slope downwards to tier 3.

This has implications for ASA. With the old boys in charge at ASA all tech decisions were dictated by career volunteers like Mario and Colin who make decisions based on political expediency and spite. Colin throws EMSa a bone-see u10 s being barred from eiysa, 7 v 7 not a sanctioned sport even though calgary was playing boarded non boarded. Suddenly their is no professionalism and no good choices unless it meets political priorities. Good staff leave and good athletes and coaches choose other sports. This is what the essence of the reform movement at CSA and what Mr. Billings was trying to do at ASa-get the mandarins out of the day to day decisions. Well we saw what happened there. These guys are like a disease on our sport. Without change at the district level we cant effect change at the provincial and national level.

An example we would use is hockey. Would sherwood park triple a midget club decide to play in the highway 21 league as they might have more success there? No and when they did so and then applied to go in triple A provincials anyway would the provincials sports body allow them as they wanted their votes-no. And if they appealed to hockey canada would they overule? no. Hockey had an overhaul in the late 60s and professionalized the governance and took the local mandarins out of the equation.

Seems like the United people took over the board at Sherwood park and have been busy driving the Rangers people out. United had all their teams playing tier 3 in Emsa. Is that the coup you were talking about or am i way off?

That may have been what was behind it or part of it, but I could not speak with real knowledge on that. My involement over the years was always on the houseleague side, and to be fair, despite the fiasco with the provincials, there has been an noticable improvement with the teir IV programs, which was badly needed, considering that's were the bulk of registration fees come from.

Bob-i have no issue with tier 3 and 4 and good for you for putting in the work there. Sad when the tier 4 coaches are up on charges for giving the kids a great soccer experience after they work hard and put in so many hours.

Archived