Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

I was curious about federal/provincial association jurisdiction and discovered this grand sweeping claim about five layers down in the CSA rules on discipline:

That is quite a statement.

It is a lot easier to apply discipline inconsistently and based simply on your personal feelings if you don't lay out the process very specifically.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice. I think in the end this will be the best way to effect change in Alberta. This court battle is required to deal with the current fiasco, but long term change will be driven at the local level.

Could not agree more.

I have it under good authority that several letters had been sent to the CSMA. Clearly Mr. Steen does not have any time or desire to listen to his membership. Could it be that he too is one of the shareholders of the Skill Storm?

Well seeing what River City wrote (and from what other`s experienced in other parts of Canada) no wonder we are stuck in reverse. There are very smart people coaching soccer in Canada. Unfortunately, they are rarely allowed in positions of power or put in a position where they can disperse their knowledge.

And what`s the CSA`s coaching course worth anyways.. a brown nose and useless piece of paper. Nobody has any respect for it.

Could not agree more.

I have it under good authority that several letters had been sent to the CSMA. Clearly Mr. Steen does not have any time or desire to listen to his membership. Could it be that he too is one of the shareholders of the Skill Storm?

I think we need to get rid of some of these career board members who wish to simultaneously work on multiple boards and who are determined to spend years accumulating more and more power.

We need a stable base of strong technical employees and coaches to push soccer to the next level. We needs these individuals to remain in the game long term and provide leadership. The petty politics played by board members who seem to all have conflicting interests has to go. If you want to run for the ASA board you should have to resign from all local boards first. Our own governance is the reason soccer is slow to progress in Alberta and Canada.

How many great people (players, coaches, employees, referees) have simply given up on soccer and moved on because the leadership couldn't get their act together??

How many great people (players, coaches, employees, referees) have simply given up on soccer and moved on because the leadership couldn't get their act together??

Drop the great, then count me as one....

Where I was going is that the number of good people I know who have left and moved on because of the insanity, is significant. I've probably worked with more than a hundred folks in all these areas who are no longer involved.

Drop the great, then count me as one....

Where I was going is that the number of good people I know who have left and moved on because of the insanity, is significant. I've probably worked with more than a hundred folks in all these areas who are no longer involved.

It is pretty sad. How many people will leave the game simply because the last 5 months have been terrible? Will the kids that played in Three Hills but went home without medals continue to play soccer? I hope so, but I wouldn't blame them if they chose not to. They were victims in a political fight that they probably knew very little about and cared about it even less.

Sent to my club today:

Does Calgary SWU have any position on this?

I would like to know whether you are aware of what is going on (google Edmonton Journal, Dan Barnes and Alberta Soccer for a refresher).

Good letter Ed. You are not alone. I hope everyone is emailing their clubs and asking where they stand on this issue. The above questions are just a couple that can be asked. Be polite but let them know where you stand.

The Blizzard club is headed by Mary Jo Spence who is also a member of the CWSA Board (CWSA is one of the groups "in bad standing" with Mario et al). At this point being in bad standing with Mario and company should be worn like a badge of honor.

Calgary is the key-if people could just get motivated there by something that perhaps doesnt have an immediate effect on them there is hope for alberta and Canadian reform. If we can halt the maestraci-innes-traficante-charpentier people in alberta we will get them out of the way of reform in Canada. It is that simple. The Alberta Clubs have to stand up to them. St albert-edmonton-red deer and sherwood park club people are standing up to them but they are relying on calgary going to sleep and staying out of it. Prove them wrong. They are stealing from all of us.

Does anyone know if Innes declared his Skillstorm confict of interest as required by the bylaws. I believe (received it from a source I trust) that he did recuse himself from any votes regarding the Skillstorm contract, but the bylaws seem to require more than that from him. It would be interesting to see if there is a conflict of interest letter on file at ASA and whether or not the conflict was communicated to the general membership at the time of the election. (emphasis below is mine)

I'm sure if there isn't a letter on file today there will soon be a back-dated letter written.

Article 31 Conflict of Interest

a) On election to the position of a Director of the Association or a Director of a Member of the Association, the newly elected Director shall immediately disclose, in writing, any personal, professional or business activity that may be construed as a potential conflict of interest and periodically thereafter update such disclosure;

B) A Director of the Association or a Director of a Member of the Association shall not permit his/her own interest to conflict in any way with her/her fiduciary responsibilities to the Association;

c) A Director of the Association or a Director of a Member of the Association shall not benefit directly or indirectly from any transaction with the Association, unless it is to the clear advantage of the Association as determined by the Board of the Association;

d) A Director of the Association or a Director of a Member of the Association shall declare a conflict of interest and abstain from voting on any discussion matter relating specifically to his/her involvement with another soccer organization, private business interest or outside not-for-profit or charitable organization;

Wednesday is the day, but should be quite interesting. Staff is not being re-hired as agreed to, the office is closed with only Traficante's son having an access. Meanwhile the CSA lawyer has issued an ultimatum that a court action is to be withdawn or else! Clearly the old boys club did not ever intend to uphold their end of the baragain. What a surprise - the old boys club has pulled yet another delay tactic!

The likes of Innes, Charpentier, Chater, Kern, Jossy, Hayne, Traficante & du Berger should be banned from soccer forever!

Wednesday is the day, but should be quite interesting. Staff is not being re-hired as agreed to, the office is closed with only Traficante's son having an access. Meanwhile the CSA lawyer has issued an ultimatum that a court action is to be withdawn or else! Clearly the old boys club did not ever intend to uphold their end of the baragain. The old boys club has pulled yet another delay tactic!

The likes of Innes, Charpentier, Chater, Kern, Jossy, Hayne, Traficante & du Berger should be banned from soccer forever!

Office is closed as in security is still there or office is closed as in nobody gets in, no work is being done, even current employees were told to stay home???

Office is closed as in security is still there or office is closed as in nobody gets in, no work is being done, even current employees were told to stay home???

Apparently it is all dark - not sure about security detail being present.

What is the point of closing the office? ASA has so much money that they can pay all staff to stay home? I guess there is no work to be done, no districts to assist, no coaches to train, no events to plan, no bills to pay, etc etc etc

I can only assume that the old boys think that the CSA suspending all litigants will decide the issue and the courts are irrelevant. That is not so. The societies act will take precedence in this and who the directors are and who controls the office will be ultimately decided by the Courts-not a bunch of idiots at CSA ot the Charentier mob. It may be that CSA for the time being will not recognise the new board but time and the bank account will tell. There needs to be an accounting of all money that was illegally paid into the WCB account and if these guys want to ignore the Judge then they need to go to jail. It would be nice if other provinces took note that CSA will decide who leads them if they feel like it with no regard to local law or the will of the membership.

Does anyone know if Innes declared his Skillstorm confict of interest as required by the bylaws. I believe (received it from a source I trust) that he did recuse himself from any votes regarding the Skillstorm contract, but the bylaws seem to require more than that from him. It would be interesting to see if there is a conflict of interest letter on file at ASA and whether or not the conflict was communicated to the general membership at the time of the election. (emphasis below is mine)

I'm sure if there isn't a letter on file today there will soon be a back-dated letter written.

Article 31 Conflict of Interest

a) On election to the position of a Director of the Association or a Director of a Member of the Association, the newly elected Director shall immediately disclose, in writing, any personal, professional or business activity that may be construed as a potential conflict of interest and periodically thereafter update such disclosure;

B) A Director of the Association or a Director of a Member of the Association shall not permit his/her own interest to conflict in any way with her/her fiduciary responsibilities to the Association;

c) A Director of the Association or a Director of a Member of the Association shall not benefit directly or indirectly from any transaction with the Association, unless it is to the clear advantage of the Association as determined by the Board of the Association;

d) A Director of the Association or a Director of a Member of the Association shall declare a conflict of interest and abstain from voting on any discussion matter relating specifically to his/her involvement with another soccer organization, private business interest or outside not-for-profit or charitable organization;

For completeness I would also add:

Article 30 Code of Conduct

3) Private interests shall not provide the potential for, or the appearance of an opportunity for benefit, wrongdoing or unethical conduct. It is important to emphasize that conflict of interest relates to the potential for wrongdoing as well as to actual or intended wrongdoing.

I can only assume that the old boys think that the CSA suspending all litigants will decide the issue and the courts are irrelevant. That is not so. The societies act will take precedence in this and who the directors are and who controls the office will be ultimately decided by the Courts-not a bunch of idiots at CSA ot the Charentier mob?It may be that CSA for the time being will not recognise the new board but time and the bank account will tell. There needs to be an accounting of all money that was illegally paid into the WCB account and if these guys want to ignore the Judge then they need to go to jail. It would be nice if other provinces took note that CSA will decide who leads them if they feel like it with no regard to local law or the will of the membership.

The sad part is that it isn't even the full board of CSA that is making these decisions. Their executive is making decisions and leaving the rest of the directors in the dark

Yet with ASA offices closed no one doing anything,Soccer games are still being played. Make you wonder what we need and pay them for. Disricts have shown they can rally and go on inspite of what ASA has tried to do to stop soccer. Districts have capable technical people to teach players and coaches.

Maybe this will get the grassroots mad enough that they will be able to work together for the good of Soccer.

Yet with ASA offices closed no one doing anything,Soccer games are still being played. Make you wonder what we need and pay them for. Disricts have shown they can rally and go on inspite of what ASA has tried to do to stop soccer. Districts have capable technical people to teach players and coaches.

Maybe this will get the grassroots mad enough that they will be able to work together for the good of Soccer.

Quite right beetle - if this disaster does not wakes us up, all of us deserve exactly what we get!

I think that is exactly what districts need to ask themselves. ASA really needs to be looked at and districts need to be assured that they are receiving value for the money. I'd start with an audit of board expenses (not whether or not they have proper approvals, but whether or not they are assisting in delivering any service to the Association). They need to be accountable for the money they spend whether it is on flights, cell phones, meals, mileage, legal, severance packages etc etc etc. This money needs to be directed to the benefit of soccer within Alberta

Apparently Turnbull showed up at the office, locks had been changed AGAIN (contrary to the judge's directives, IIRC), and that was the straw that broke the camel's back for him.

Did the judge actually stipulate that they could not change the locks? They could find themselves in a lot of trouble if they are disregarding a judges orders? CSA can't help them with that fight.

Archived