Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

Last time we did an sgm-mario responded by setting up a duplicate sgm to oversee his own removal-he made the rules prohibitive-changed the time and added agenda items that were out of time. People had to sign confidentiality agreements and staff were prohibited from coming and there were guards at the door. There is more...but i am numbed.

My point is how can anyone set up an SGM now without the Courts setting the parameters ?-the rules wont be fair if the old board runs it-if the new board runs it then mario and CSA will ignore it-who calls it-who oversees it-which bylaws-and if it removes Mario et al they will just ignore it. I can assure you that a legal and well run SGM occurred and removed these guys.

How did he do that? I thought that in an SGM any agenda changes required the approval of the majority of the membership? Was he acting out of line with the bylaws or is my understanding wrong? The membership requiring the SGM dictate the agenda items. Either way, in this case I think it best if the courts oversee an election.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well only 5 members showed up to his bogus SGM-there was a full buffet for 40 ordered-so really it was a moot point about how he could do this or that or whether it was contrary to the bylaws. Across the hall there were 16 members represented and a great meeting. I would like to see the spirit of this meeting carry forward. Members actually sat down and planned a way forward. All the bullying and silly games by these guys since then have only galvanized people and alienated the few that were on the fence.

sorry -actually 7 members were there-one member had a person at both. 6/7 of 22 went to marios. 15/16 went to the other one.

CWSA had two delegates - it's President went to Mario's SGM without her board's approval; stipulation was not to attend if there were any "confidentiality agreements" to be signed. Apparently it was only an "information sharing" meeting as no quorum was achieved. The other authorized delegate went to the members SGM and voted as per her board's instruction.

I have been following this post for quite some time. As an avid supporter of youth soccer in Alberta I am more discouraged today than ever before that real, effective change can occur at the ASA level. We can only blame ourselves for letting a few people dictate terms to the rest of us on the direction of soccer in our province. Life-long suspensions for volunteering ones time has always been unduly harsh, yet we have ALL sat back and let things like this happen, excusing this by saying "what's the use of fighting". Let's not put our heads in the sand and say that we were never aware of the goings on in Edmonton, Calgary and the ASA.

So far the majority of threads have centered on personal attacks (deservedly so). The persons who follow this forum obvously care about the kids playing soccer and the state of soccer in Alberta.

The challenge is this: How does one affect real change and what do the hundresa of parents involved in soccer need to do to make it happen? How do you "get the word out"; a factual represenation of the facts and communiction of a strategy to affect real change. Most of the parents on my kids teams are not aware of what the fight is about and are blind to the issues because no one has a vision for the future. Where do we go from here???

I have been following this post for quite some time. As an avid supporter of youth soccer in Alberta I am more discouraged today than ever before that real, effective change can occur at the ASA level. We can only blame ourselves for letting a few people dictate terms to the rest of us on the direction of soccer in our province. Life-long suspensions for volunteering ones time has always been unduly harsh, yet we have ALL sat back and let things like this happen, excusing this by saying "what's the use of fighting". Let's not put our heads in the sand and say that we were never aware of the goings on in Edmonton, Calgary and the ASA.

So far the majority of threads have centered on personal attacks (deservedly so). The persons who follow this forum obvously care about the kids playing soccer and the state of soccer in Alberta.

The challenge is this: How does one affect real change and what do the hundresa of parents involved in soccer need to do to make it happen? How do you "get the word out"; a factual represenation of the facts and communiction of a strategy to affect real change. Most of the parents on my kids teams are not aware of what the fight is about and are blind to the issues because no one has a vision for the future. Where do we go from here???

Great questions and right on the money. Why do these people have power? Because up until now we have allowed them to have it. A sport begging for volunteers is suspending people for life for disagreeing with their way of thinking? Why didn't we (myself included) step in earlier and expose this unacceptable behaviour? Even today I am very uncomfortable with anyone knowing who I am due to the vindictive nature of those governing soccer.

What is "bringing the game into disrepute? It is simply a way to punish someone without needing to be specific.

The CWSA people are very brave-they are the only ones in Calgary actually standing up to these guys. I do hope some people are willing t stand with them when this thing gets worse.

The ladies from Calgary have more, ahem, guts :) than the men? How ironic.

I'm another who has been following this thread with increasing disgust and disbelief. I've written my local club and had a few good replies. The clubs are in a difficult position; if they are too public they risk being suspended, which affects all their players. Sooner or later, though, I think they will have to act. I am hoping that they can quietly gather enough support to act decisively.

Because of the multiple layers of the organization: players > clubs > local organizations > districts > ASA > CSA, it can take time to force change through. I think it would be a good step to start collecting information about the structure and bylaws of all the various groups, as well as election dates, names and affiliations of all board members, etc. Somebody up for election soon is easier to influence than somebody at the beginning of a two-year term.

Good points soccer father.

At this point we need people to stand up to this group and to the CSA executive who have wrongly cast their lot with them. There will need to be a court ordered election-that is coming. People will have to stick their necks out in large numbers-directors-coaches-parents-players-staff and ignore the suspensions that get meted out-go to "banned" tournaments-play in "banned" leagues, referee "banned" games and force a stalemate. After the election is ordered pressure will need to be put on CSA at all levels-provincial reps and others not on the executive. This pressure may have to be through media and government at civic, provincial and national levels. Make CSA back off and let us solve our own problem. If it wasnt for the misguided and incompetent CSA executive we would have solved this already. they have made it worse.

Once the election occurs people will have to mobilise their district boards-espescially in Calgary and sherwood park to vote these miscreants out of their power base once and for all and to come to the ASA election with an open mind. A fresh board needs to be elected with reform ideas-not one to punish people and we need to hire staff-or convince the old staff to return minus one and we need to move forward. I dont agree that the voting structure is the issue-i dont think we can say that large urban areas have to have the same vote as tiny populations-but i do think that the people who get elected to the ASA board need to have clean hands and not come in with district or FINANCIAL conflicts. What organization would allow innes clear conflict in his Skilstorm business?? He even brags about his conflict in his stock portfolio for goodness sakes! That may solve 3/4 of the problems. For a change can we elect people based on their vision for ALBERTA soccer-not their turf or their business?

That would be a good start.

My apologies for the spelling mistakes in my first post to this forum but this fight has made me angry and frustrated as well. I am with you oc64, I love being involved in soccer and under the current state of affairs would be reluctant to step forward for fear that I would be banned for life for havin the temerity to question the current dictatorship.

Our real concern should be that in the short term there is a real possibilty that MC's group will prevail. How can we mitigate the damage that will be caused between now and the next AGM?

People are leaving soccer because it is sucha state of disarray. Where will our kids play next year?

I love being involved in soccer and under the current state of affairs would be reluctant to step forward for fear that I would be banned for life for havin the temerity to question the current dictatorship.

Sometimes you have to throw yourself under the bus to make change for those coming behind you. The 5 Sherwood Park coaches did that by taking their teams to the St Albert U18 Provincials. They knew they would pay a price for their actions, and were not surprised to be suspended. But perhaps their actions will accomplish more than a whole lot of talking and finger pointing.

I have just found out that Mike and Anthony Traficante are in the office now destroying paper evidence, obviously not answering phones.

Ok, time out here. I'm not a fan of the suits as much as the next guy, but can we please keep posts to things that can be proven? If you have evidence that the Traficantes are destroying evidence then please provide it, otherwise what you're posting is libelous.

When is the St Albert hearing for the suspended coaches. Hopefully someone will keep us posted as to the outcome.

The 5 Sherwood Park coaches did that by taking their teams to the St Albert U18 Provincials. They knew they would pay a price for their actions, and were not surprised to be suspended. But perhaps their actions will accomplish more than a whole lot of talking and finger pointing.

Ok, time out here. I'm not a fan of the suits as much as the next guy, but can we please keep posts to things that can be proven? If you have evidence that the Traficantes are destroying evidence then please provide it, otherwise what you're posting is libelous.

That's all that can be posted, anymore would reveal the individual's identity which would be unacceptable.

When is the St Albert hearing for the suspended coaches. Hopefully someone will keep us posted as to the outcome.

The 5 suspended coaches face a disciplinary hearing with the Sherwood Park District Soccer Association tonight.

I have just found out that Mike and Anthony Traficante are in the office now destroying paper evidence, obviously not answering phones.

Is this a joke? If true, I wonder what they are destroying. The judge will not look favorably on this. Maybe all staffers (former and current will need to be called to testify in order to find out what they may be hiding

Maybe some of the problem with the build up of the problem in Alberta Soccer is too few people sticking out their necks when they see a problem. If we want change-we all see a problem- we need to stand up and not fear what will happen to "me". We all say we are here for the kids-unless of course I get in trouble for speaking up.

A better way to put it is what the hell is a CSA director doing in the ASA office? Presumably the security guards have been told that he is ok but our employees and elected members are banned. I think there is more than enough provable actions to make a case why the whole board needs to be removed or the society dissolved and a do over mandated. People are frustrated and at this point with all the conflicts of interest we assume the worst-and other than the regrettable effect on the kids-that is the real tragedy here-we all assume the worst.

Scandalous? If true, it would be beyond that...it would be criminal. But like jpg75, I would like it if the person witness to this destruction of evidence would have the courage to come forward. While I wouldn't doubt that it could be happening, I can't truly believe it until there is proof.

Archived