Canucks in Germany - May 2010 Edition

Guest Ed

With only 2 rounds left, all Bundesliga 1 and 2 games kick off at the same time to avoid teams tanking games based on other results.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

FC Koeln (9W-10D-13L - 37 pts - 13th) host SC Freiburg (8W-7D-17L - 31 pts - 14th). Kevin McKenna will start as a central def with Geromel out on a red card suspension.

Borussia Moenchengladbach (10W-8D-14L - 38 pts - 12th) are away to Hannover 96 (7W-6D-19L - 27 pts - 17th), Rob Friend starting with Bobadilla suspended for accumulation of yellow cards.

Sunday

Bundesliga 2

Energie Cottbus (12W-7D-13L - 43 pts - 10th) are away to Hansa Rostock (10W-5D-17L - 35 pts - 16th). Adam Straith expected to start. Rostock are desperate for a win to at least stay in the relegation play off spot; a win by Cottbus puts them in the top half of the table.

FC St Pauli (19W-4D-9L - 61 pts - 2nd) are away to SpVgg Greuther Fuerth (12W-7D-13L - 43 pts - 9th) as they could clinch promotion with a win. JBB probably not with the squad, going on recent game day 18 man selections.

FSV Frankfurt (9W-9D-14L - 36 pts - 15th) are away to the bottom team in the league RW Ahlen (5W-6D-21L - 21 pts - 18th). A win keeps them ahead of Rostock, but next weekend will decide if they are safe next season. Nik Ledgerwood expected to start.

Nolando did a stand up job covering the Bundesliga 1 action yesterday in the weekly Canadians abroad thread: http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?39656-Canadians-abroad-April-30-May-6-2010

Today, lots of drama in the Bundesliga 2. FC St Pauli are on the verge of promotion, up 2-1 over Greuther Fuerth. JBB is not with the squad. Nik Ledgerwood and FSV Frankfurt are in a scoreless draw, as are FC Energie Cottbus (Straith starting). Cottbus' foe Hansa Rostock could leapfrog over FSV Frankfurt into safety from relegation with a win.

In lower league action:

Regional League West:

Thursday, Alex Elliott came on with just over 30 minutes to go, ended up with a yellow/red combo in the 90th as FSV Mainz 05 reserves down Wormatia Worms 4-1 to move them out of relegation territory.

Friday, no sign of Gianluca Zavarise in a 1-0 loss by VfL Bochum reserves to SV Elversberg.

Sunday, Bonner SC (without Maycoll Canizales) drop FC Schalke reserves into relegation territory with a 2-0 win, Massih Wassey a 2nd half sub in for Schalke.

Regional League Nord:

Both FC St Pauli reserves and SV Wilhelshaven are in action, no reports up as yet.

Jubilation in Hamburg as FC St Pauli fans celebrate their return to the top flight. It goes down to the last games next weekend to determine which of Hansa Rostock and FSV Frankfurt end up in the relegaton playoff spot from Bundesliga 2 as both their matches end scoreless, Nik going 90 for Frankfurt vs Rot Weiss Ahlen and Adam Straith going 90 against Rostock.

FC Saarbruecken clinched a spot in the 3 Liga next season.

JBB goes 90 for FC St Pauli reserves in a 2-1 loss to Hansa Rostock reserves. Riley O'Neill a late sub for SV Wilhelmshaven in a 2-1 loss to Hallescher FC.

Julien Latendresse-Levesque and Jerome Baker start for Energie Cottbus U19's in a 3-0 win in the A Junioren Bundesliga Nord-NordOst

Jubilation in Hamburg as FC St Pauli fans celebrate their return to the top flight. It goes down to the last games next weekend to determine which of Hansa Rostock and FSV Frankfurt end up in the relegaton playoff spot from Bundesliga 2 as both their matches end scoreless, Nik going 90 for Frankfurt vs Rot Weiss Ahlen and Adam Straith going 90 against Rostock.

FC Saarbruecken clinched a spot in the 3 Liga next season.

A 3,5 for Straith and a 4,5 for Ledgerwood:

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/spieltag/2-bundesliga/2009-10/33/938597/spielanalyse_hansa-rostock-3_energie-cottbus-78.html

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/spieltag/2-bundesliga/2009-10/33/938604/spielanalyse_rot-weiss-ahlen-105_fsv-frankfurt-1295.html

Only one game of consequence to Canucks in the big leagues this weekend, with Nik Ledgerwood and FSV Frankfurt looking to stay up in the Bundesliga 2. They need to win if Hansa Rostock, who trail Frankfurt by a single point in 16th place, the relegation playoff position, manage any points at all against 4th place Fortuna Duesseldorf. Frankfurt have the slightly easier task taking on relegated TuS Koblenz. Despite being part of their better results this 2nd half, Nik looks to be on the bench for the start of this one.

Bundesliga 1 wrapped up today. 'Gladbach make up for their crapfest last weekend drawing Bayer Leverkusen 1-1 at homel, Friend on for the last 20 minutes. FC Koeln draw with Nurnberg; McKenna out for surgery.

Huge win for Hannover 96 away to Bochum, ensuring they stay up. Bochum join Hertha in the Bundesliga 2 next season. 'The Club', Nuernburg await a relegation playoff against the 3rd place finisher in the Bundesliga 2, the winner taking a spot in the Bundesliga 1 next season.

Oh yeah, Bayern on course for the triple as they play Werder Bremen next weekend for the DFB Pokal and have a date in the Champions League final later in May.

FSV Frankfurt stay up, managing a 1-1 draw today while Hansa Rostock lost to Duesseldorf. No sign of Nik on the field.

Season Statistics for Top Leagues:

B1

Kevin McKenna - contract expires Jun 2012 - 25 appearances, 11 starts - 1G, 1A.

Rob Friend - contract expires Jun 2012 - 26 appearances, 11 starts, 3G, 2A.

Paul Stalteri - contract expires Jun 2011 - 3 appearances, 2 starts, 0 pts.

Bundesliga 2

Adam Straith - contract expires Jun 2013 - 23 appearances, 21 starts, 1 G.

Nik Ledgerwood - contract expires Jun 2010 (with option year), 22 appearances, 12 starts, 1 G.

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault - contract expires Jun 2010 - 3 appearances as sub. 0 pts.

Stalteri likely on the move.

McKenna is happy.

Friend on the bubble.

Ledgerwood waiting for club decision.

JBB future unclear.

Straith had an outstanding debut season and is my vote for Canuck in Germany player of the year!!

Will review lower leagues later as they are still underway.

I don't think Friend is going anywhere myself. Neuville is gone so he is fighting for 1 of 3 or 4 spots.

Also, news today that FSV Frankfurt will NOT be taking the option on Nik Ledgerwood's contract. But I think Nik won't be too upset.

I don't think Friend is going anywhere myself. Neuville is gone so he is fighting for 1 of 3 or 4 spots.

Also, news today that FSV Frankfurt will NOT be taking the option on Nik Ledgerwood's contract. But I think Nik won't be too upset.

I meant to say Stalteri, actually, thus the Tottenham reference. My mistake and my apologies!

^ I posted an article last week or week before where it was thought that 'Gladbach would not stand in the way of Stalteri pursuing other opportunities as he has been a total pro and was a key player in their fight to avoid the drop last (2008-2009) season.

^ Ed, where do you think Nik will end up? Will he stay in B2, move down or is time to move on from Germany?

He won't be going down to Liga 3 but am not sure of his plans. Will try to find out.

Energie Cottbus U23's are champions in their Oberliga division and are promoted to the Regional League Nord/NordOst for next season, hopefully better competition for the likes of Julien Latendresse-Levesque.

Nice to see Kevin McKenna coming back to Cottbus for a special tribute match to long-time Cottbus keeper Thomas Piplica. Kevin will be playing for 'Team Piplica' vs the current edition of the squad.

Caught an article from the Hamburger Press earlier this week. JBB is one of 5 players waiting on a contract.

The agent of Jonathan Bourgault, Andreas Kirsch, says that the decision over resigning is entirely up to FC St Pauli. "Jonathan would run barefoot to Millentor Stadium in order to re-sign with the club. He has had tremendous development, become a national team player and has integrated well into the club", says Kirsch. Bourgault's absolute professional attitude has made him a real favourite with coach Stanislawski. On the other hand, he's not seen many much first team action (only 35 minutes). "Whether he can play in the top league is naturally a question, but he can play a part in the future of the club", says Dr Kirsch.

Gotta love that quote, ""Jonathan would run barefoot to Millentor Stadium in order to re-sign with the club."

Sounds like Gabe Gala's situation up until this season. Well, to be honest, I guess it sounds like half of our Canadians Abroad at the moment.

FRIEND STAYS!

Some drama in Moenchengladbach as it looks like Agent Kirsch is seeking an out for Rob Friend. The club is sticking with a 2M Euro transfer fee. Agent Kirsch says Rob has generated interest from other Bundesliga clubs as well as clubs in France and Turkey. Player director Eberl says "Friend stays". Despite injuries, he had 26 appearances and 3 goals. "Those numbers alone show he is an important player. We are satisfied with him. We know that Rob, like any other player, wants to start. If he comes in healthy this summer, he will be in competition for a starting role".

Hard to know what to make of this since he may well be in this same position next year, while there is the chance he could have taken off and really led a club (maybe even in scoring) in another league - I like the Turkey rumour, for instance.

I'm not sure how 3 goals on 26 appearances gets you any extra respect though, to be honest.

Archived