Canucks in Germany - May 2010 Edition

Guest Ed

Hard to know what to make of this since he may well be in this same position next year, while there is the chance he could have taken off and really led a club (maybe even in scoring) in another league - I like the Turkey rumour, for instance.

I'm not sure how 3 goals on 26 appearances gets you any extra respect though, to be honest.

Of course there are 11 on the pitch, but from what you can extrapolate from 'Gladbach's form - in the fall anyways - the club played much better when Friend was in the starting XI. It didn't hurt either that Marco Reus emerged as a force in the midfield, but from what I recall, Friend was key in their turn-around. After his injury over the break he seemed to never regain his form or place in the starting XI save for a few starts and substitutions.

Perhaps Ed can give his opinion on where Rob fits at 'Gladbach as I think he still can make it and has a lot to offer, just possibly not the goal rate he had in Bundesliga 2.

I don't usually like to see players go down to a lesser league and think he can still play in the Bundesliga but I would be really interested to see what he could do in Turkey. Playing against shorter, less strong and less physical defenders in a league with a strong passing game, ie. good service, might really play to his strenghts. He might be a star in Turkey as opposed to a decent striker in Germany. Plus the style of play would be more similar to what he will encounter in CONCACAF. For those who don't follow the league, this year for the first time in 26 years a non-Istanbul club won the championship, Bursaspor. They are only the 5th team to win the Turkish league, joining Trabzonspur as the only other non-big 3 champion.

As an aside, condolences to FCH for Rostock losing the releagtion games and dropping to 3rd division. Irritating to see a team from a Munich suburb with no fans promote over a city and club much more deserving to be in the 2nd Bundesliga. On the other hand the Rostock team lost both games with an aggregate of 3-0 so didn't really deserve to stay up in sporting terms. To bad Gyaki is no longer with them, might have got a chance at playing time in the 3rd division.

Massih Wassey scores on a PK to make it 2-1 down, then his FC Schalke cruise to a 7-2 win in Regional League West action on Saturday. A big win in their fight to avoid relegation as they now have 40 points and sit 3 points (and 6 clubs) away from relegation territory.

Gianluca Zavarise a late sub for VfL Bochum, also in the Regional League West.

In the Regional League Nord, a big win for SV Wilhelmshaven over FC St Pauli, JBB on in the 2nd half but no sign of Riley O'Neill.

Energie Cottbus' U23's celebrate promotion to Regional League Nord next season.

Whatever happened to the "Wassey will attend the Venezuela camp" rumour? Any further news on JBB?

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4296

Joining the Canadian team will be Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault (FC St. Pauli), Eddy Sidra (Energie Cottbus), Massih Wassey (Schalke) and Gianluca Zavarise (VfL Bochum) from professional clubs in Germany, Terry Dunfield (Shrewsbury Town FC) and Gavin McCallum (Hereford United) from professional clubs in England, and Issey Nakajima-Farran (AC Horsens) from his professional club in Denmark. Wassey was a late addition to the Canadian roster.

Archived