My London Football Marathon...suggestions?

Vancouversoccerman

So, I'm off to London for the first time from March 22-30 (And Spain afterwards...but I hear there's no football there...LOL)...I'm trying to squeeze in as many matches as I can and could use some suggestions. Here's what I have lined up so far:

For Certain:

Saturday, March 27 - Birmingham City-Arsenal

Monday, March 29 - Manchester City - Wigan

Likely:

Wednesday, March 24 - Manchester City-Everton

Possibilities:

Tuesday, March 23 - QPR - Derby County

Thursday - Womens WC Qualifier - England-Austria (Loftus Road)

Sunday, March 28 - Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final at Wembley (Carlisle Utd.- Southhampton) - Still working on the ticket for this one - Go Carlisle!

As you can see, I'm willing to travel within reason. Any other matches happening that week that I should consider? Or stadiums I should go out of my way to see? Or general places you like (I'm staying in Earl's Court).

If you are going by train from London to Manchester or Birmingham, don't take the first train you find. I remember the first train I could find from London to Manchester was like 75 pounds for one way and was freaking out at how expensive it was, but then I played around with schedules and stations a little and found a much cheaper train... so that would be my main advice.

Sounds like a great trip though. Hope you have fun :D

Sunday, March 28 - Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final at Wembley (Carlisle Utd.- Southhampton) - Still working on the ticket for this one - Go Carlisle!

QUOTE]

WTF? You don't love mighty Saints?

U suk

Come on you reds!

(just kidding about you sucking. It's just your taste in clubs that stinks.)

Jealous of you big time tho'.

Hampton and Richmond Borough in Conference South :D

I second the Hampton and Richmond suggestion. It'll be cheaper than QPR-Derby and you should take in a non-league match and it's not that far from Earl's Court. Or if you want a slightly better standard and better atmosphere, AFC Wimbledon is playing on the Tuesday night as well.

Carlisle became my default choice when Saints fans gobbled up all of their 44,000 tickets for the match. Sitting in the Carlise side was the only way I could go to the match (Which is now confirmed, btw :-)

Still, Carlisle does boast at least one strong Vancouver connection...it's where we found Peter Beardsley!

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack VSM's thread, but I caught 4 games during my mini Euro tour.

Fiorentina-Bayern

Exeter-Bristol Rovers: went to watch Haber. He didnt start but came in around the 85 minute. Exeter scored late off a corner for a 1-0 win and a big three points.

Fulham-Juvnetus: what a crazy night. Craven Cottage was magical!

QPR-Derby County: I met up with VSM for this game. Loftus Road is a pretty neat ground also.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've finished the final match of my British football marathon. In total, I saw 7 matches in 10 days. I'm now in Spain for a month of recovery and spousal forgiveness .

Thanks to Mass for joining me at Loftus Road and to all of you for all the great suggestions. For the record, here's what I caught:

Tuesday, March 23 - QPR 1 - Derby County 1

Wed., March 24 - Man City 0 - Everton 2

Thur. March 25 - England 3 - Austria 0 (WWC Qualifier at Loftus Road)

Sat., March 27- Birmingham City 1 - Arsenal 1

Sun., March 28 - Southhampton 4 - Carlisle Utd. 0 (JPT Final at Wembley)

Mon., March 29- Man City 3 - Wigan 0

Tues. March 20 - AFC Wimbledon 2 - Wrexhall 2

I'm adding at least one more match to my Spanish vacation. On Sunday, I'll be in Cartegena for the Murcia derby in Segunda Liga. Cartegena is pushing for promotion and it should be their first sellout of the year. They had over 3000 in the stadium this morning just watching the practice as I went to the box office to get my tickets...should be a great atmosphere!

So I've finished the final match of my British football marathon. In total, I saw 7 matches in 10 days. I'm now in Spain for a month of recovery and spousal forgiveness .

Thanks to Mass for joining me at Loftus Road and to all of you for all the great suggestions. For the record, here's what I caught:

Tuesday, March 23 - QPR 1 - Derby County 1

Wed., March 24 - Man City 0 - Everton 2

Thur. March 25 - England 3 - Austria 0 (WWC Qualifier at Loftus Road)

Sat., March 27- Birmingham City 1 - Arsenal 1

Sun., March 28 - Southhampton 4 - Carlisle Utd. 0 (JPT Final at Wembley)

Mon., March 29- Man City 3 - Wigan 0

Tues. March 20 - AFC Wimbledon 2 - Wrexhall 2

I'm adding at least one more match to my Spanish vacation. On Sunday, I'll be in Cartegena for the Murcia derby in Segunda Liga. Cartegena is pushing for promotion and it should be their first sellout of the year. They had over 3000 in the stadium this morning just watching the practice as I went to the box office to get my tickets...should be a great atmosphere!

Outstanding intense soccer slurge.

If you are in Murcia, like near Mar Menor, you are very close to Cartagena as you know of course, Murcia, but also Hercules in Alicante, another 2nd div side in a big stadium. And Elche, who play at home next week are even closer to you (nice town too). And of course Almeria in 1st division. I would also recommend you go to futsal while in Murcia, the level is very high. Reale Cartagena plays away these weeks but on the 24th is home to Caja Segovia, should be great. El Pozo Murcia from the capital is the league leader and one of the best sides in the world right now, played tonight but play next Saturday at home to Santa Coloma.

Thanks...I've been to both Murcia and Alicante on this trip, but couldn't combine any football matches. I did notice a few posters for the futsal club in Murcia, and the sports paper La Marca features a full page on futsal daily (roughly the same amount of space they devote to anything that isn't Real Madrid or Barca). I'm kind of hamepered by the fact that most of the games are at 9:00 PM and I'd have no way to get back to where I'm staying without doing an overnight.

Cartegena-Murcia was intense and spirited. The Pirates captured a 3-2 victory over their rivals from the provincial capital. The stadium was sold out, and we were seated right next to the fence that separated the Cartagenens from the travelling support. Lots of words exchanged between the two sides, but no real problems inside the stadium. Great match and would do it again in a heartbeat.

My wife and I are off to Madrid this weekend, and I have a pair of nosebleeds for Real Madrid-Valencia at the Bernabeu.

I have been up high at the Bernabeu and it is fine, it is a very vertical stadium, you are a long way up and the pitch is way down below, but you can see fine.

Shouldn't matter as weather is better lately, but last tier has heating under the roof, nice.

Fans are notoriously boring and unlively, and they have those terrible airhorns, combined with the supporter section megaphones. This is why I think it is fair and square that they got wiped out by Barcelona, they don't deserve to win with that sort of arrangement. If Valencia gets ahead watch the whole stadium collapse viciously on Pellegrini, or even on some of the players.

• 4 weeks later...

I've uploaded the first of many photo albums from my trip on my Facebook page. I've started with some photos from the Cartagena FC - Real Murcia match on April 11. There will be many more in the coming weeks.

If you're interested in seeing the pics, you can go to:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=808178344&ref=profile

If you're not on my friends list yet, just send a request and I'll add you.

Cheers,

Bill

Archived