CCL Quarterfinals

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Houston got that far last year, too.

True. As a closer follower of the MLS, what's the likelihood of Columbus advancing further, probably against Mexican opposition? (hatred for them notwithstanding [:P])

It all depends on which Mexican team they draw (unless they luck out and get one of the non-Mexican sides.

Cruz Azul absolutely destroyed them 5-0 at Mexico City at altitude, then got a 2-0 win in KKKrew Stadium in what wasn't really a lopsided game (Azul just finished their chances whereas Columbus could not). A game at altitude in their pre-season would be very bad news for Columbus, but their home field advantage would likely even that out. Mexicans do not like Columbus in the winter, if their national team is any indication.

I'd say they have a good chance of advancing should they not draw one of the high altitude Mexican sides, although I'd still put any FMF team as the favourite. That league is still far and away the best in CONCACAF.

Houston and DC still both have an outside shot of making the quarterfinal as well. I'd rather DC doesn't as they are a shambles of a team who would get killed.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Houston is likely to go through as well. DC United will probably finish third in the group.

Dynamo lost at el Salvador so they are out of the competition.

All the mexican teams got the first place of their group, so the Crew is playing one of them.

MLS sure continues to impress in Champions League. One of their top teams plays a game that will bring them to the quarters if they win. Their opponent is a team from El Salvador that didn't belong in the group stage and was only there because CONCACAF gifted El Salvador an automatic spot in the group stage. This team had been blown out throughout the tournament, had not scored a goal until this last game and had a goal diffential of minus 17 before the game (0 for, 17 against). Houston loses 3-2 once again proving the validity of MLS' first division claims.

Houston needed only a 2-goal victory against Metapán, a club that had previously lost its 5 games by a combined score of 17-0 !!! MLS clubs still don't take this seriously and it's a shame. Why do Mexicans just shut up and thrash the opposition instead of complaining about the tournament's relevance ? They beat everybody and then :D after they win it all. Why can't MLS clubs at least try and make a point about their league's value ?

What's the point of wanting to beat the big boys on the world stage and take over 1st in CONCACRAP, yet they don't want to compete against them at the club level and show they're able to put together a league as competent as the Mexican's ?

quote:

What's the point of wanting to beat the big boys on the world stage and take over 1st in CONCACRAP, yet they don't want to compete against them at the club level and show they're able to put together a league as competent as the Mexican's ?

Maybe the MFL is better than MLS...

^ ...partly because of their attitude. There's potential for some more success in the not that far future if they can keep home their best assets considering that when it's USA vs. Mexico, they generally (not always, see '09 GC) look decent. Their problem is that they're still not interested in translating that at the club level. They are satisfied with their local thing and the MNT is enough for international presence.

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

^ ...partly because of their attitude. There's potential for some more success in the not that far future if they can keep home their best assets considering that when it's USA vs. Mexico, they generally (not always, see '09 GC) look decent. Their problem is that they're still not interested in translating that at the club level. They are satisfied with their local thing and the MNT is enough for international presence.

Silly me. I though that it was because the fact that they have deeper and better squads.

Naaaaa... you must be kidding !

I said PARTLY, your point is obviously the other part. You must admit USA fare much better against Mexico when it's about MNTs than when it's about club play and there's nothing preventing them from closing that gap between those two levels if one of these days they start to care about this.

quote:Originally posted by Montry

Maybe the MFL is better than MLS...

There's no maybe.

As I said before, MFL is by far the best league in CONCACAF.

Houston embarrassed themselves and their league last night. They played an experimental three-man backline which they NEVER use, and Metapan (which may be the worst pro team I've seen play, at least since June 18) scored twice in the first ten minutes. Kinnear, who is usually a smart coach, played a risky game against an opponent that didn't warrant it.

Houston only needed a one-goal win (not two as was stated above) because they had destroyed the other second place team 5-1 after gaining an away draw, and could have easily pulled that off with their regular formation and regular starters. Instead they played a 3-5-2 with a bunch of reserve players mixed in and rightly paid for it.

Not starting Holden and Clark was a huge mistake as both of those guys are US national team midfielders who can control the play against most teams in CONCACAF.

Regardless, there is little excuse for not outscoring Metapan. FFS, Houston's backup keeper scored a goal! Why couldn't the rest of them do so?

This kind of result tarnishes Houston's (and MLS') record to be sure, but of course it is balanced out by Columbus getting out of the Group of Death. Also, DC may not make the MLS playoffs this year but may still make it to the 1/4 final of the CCL. What does that say about the rest of CONCACAF?

Houston only needed a one-goal win (not two as was stated above) because they had destroyed the other second place team 5-1 after gaining an away draw, and could have easily pulled that off with their regular formation and regular starters. Instead they played a 3-5-2 with a bunch of reserve players mixed in and rightly paid for it.

Check your facts.

Standings

I was aware of the tiebreaking advantage as they were trailing by two.

This kind of result tarnishes Houston's (and MLS') record to be sure, but of course it is balanced out by Columbus getting out of the Group of Death. Also, DC may not make the MLS playoffs this year but may still make it to the 1/4 final of the CCL. What does that say about the rest of CONCACAF?

MLS is as clean a second you can get, no doubt. But generally the goal is to reach first.

quote:Originally posted by Montry

Well, I would say that's because the USA men has many players overseas while the MFL is heavy on CONMEBOL internationals.

I'm buying this. However, if MLS can upgrade its level of play (more DPs, higher salary cap, keeping their best players home, there's many ways), maybe someday they're gonna be the ones getting the bunch of SA that wants to play for money since the US have so much of it.

Check your facts.

Standings

I was aware of the tiebreaking advantage as they were trailing by two.

The tiebreaker is head-to-head, not goal difference. Houston tied Arabe Unido 1-1 away and destroyed them 5-1 at home.

All Houston needed was a win, of any scoreline.

:D I assure you I'm not drunk... My bad !

Why don't we have standard tiebreaking rules all over the world so I don't look like a [:o)] again ?

Because that would make too much sense. :D

BTW, here's the official rules of the tournament. The tiebreakers are listed on page 6: http://www.concacafmain.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813~146129,00.pdf

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Leaving Holden and Clark out of the starting lineup just shows how little Houston cares.

I don't think they didn't care. I think they just vastly underestimated their opponent. No matter how poor that opponent was, they were still playing for pride at home.

Houston has shown over the years that it takes this tourney seriously. They were simply overconfident in this particular instance, which is surprising given the poor form Houston has shown over the past couple of months.

I think the Dynamo's glory days are slowly coming to an end.

Here are the combined records of both MLS and MFL teams NOT against each other's teams i.e. against other leagues teams</u>

MLS</u>: 7-2-3 (.667; +1.08/game) and 7-3-6 with the preliminary round included (.563; +0.75/game).

MFL</u>: 13-2-2 (.804; +1.88/game) and 16-2-3 (.810; +2.14/game).

So that MLS teams lose vs. Mexican teams is understandable. But that's not just that, they have problems beating non-MFL teams as well. They must prove within CONCACAF they are second only to Mexico and that is not convincing so far.

Head-to-head, MFL teams win easily 5-0-1 (.889; +2/game) with the draw happening Tuesday while Toluca was in cruise control and DC was fighting for a quarters spot.

The four second places go to USA, Panama and probably Honduras and T&T. So USA having as many teams in the KO stage as both Panama and T&T doesn't look good on paper (even Honduras if they really want to make a point).

Because that would make too much sense. :D

BTW, here's the official rules of the tournament. The tiebreakers are listed on page 6: http://www.concacafmain.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813~146129,00.pdf

You bet !

I hope MLS will take a look at the CCL to improve the quality of its game because the Mexican league seems to be far stronger than the MLS. Last year, 3 Mexican clubs finished first in their groups, this year they did better as every group had a Mexican club at the top. On the other hand, some MLS clubs failed to qualify to the quarterfinals.

Archived