Aim for second

Lennon

Finishing 2nd in the group would actually be better for Canada then finishing first.

The quarterfinal matchups look like this ...

Group A winner vs. Groub B runner up (most likely Honduras)

Groub A runner up vs. Group C runner up (most likely Nicaragua, Guadeloupe, or Panama)

I think most people would preffer playing one of those last three countries ... someone get the word out to Hart!

lol ... only in Concacaf ...

Saw that. With our group so tight though, I can't imagine trying to come second place in the group. That way madness lies in the form of an early exit.

Even if a loss against Costa Rica were to do it, I still think it's not a good idea to lose games. Not to mention what a win against Costa Rica would do for our ranking.

with the usa in a relatively easy group, they may be used to playing down to their competition. if we can get through the toughest group, it should prepare us better. if we are going to progress beyond the quarters, we will need to win games regardless of the side we play. right now, we look very composed although we will know more from the result of our next match as it seems el salvador may be the team to beat in group a.

i like hart's approach though: aiming for beyond the group stage yet building a team to be ready for 3 years down the road. his selection of players, substitutions and style of play is very impressive and the players really seem drawn to play well for him.

if the csa is smart at all, they will give hart a good look to take on the permanent role of coach. i don't think i have ever heard a player say a bad word about hart. and it shows.

Honestly the only team who may be better talent wise in this tournament is Costa Rica and luckily we can't meet them in the quarters anyways so I think we should just do our best now. Kind of a blessing that we can actually play the best team before the knockout stages. I remember in a hockey tournament facing a team losing 8-1 then meeting them in the final and winning the game 3-2 in OT.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

After watching Honduras play today, I don't think this is a concern at all.

Seconded. Their midfield and defence didn't look too hot yesterday against Haiti. Between Costly and Walter Martinez they'll still be dangerous in attack, but if we can dominated the midfield then we'll be fine against them.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Seconded. Their midfield and defence didn't look too hot yesterday against Haiti. Between Costly and Walter Martinez they'll still be dangerous in attack, but if we can dominated the midfield then we'll be fine against them.

Of course this is only one game. Remember Canada losing to Guadeloupe after all.

But, I think you are always best to try and win win win and not worry about who you play.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived