Saputo apologized to Lenarduzzi

I just finished talking to a source of mine (a pretty good one--ask Bill (vansoccerman), he verify the quality of my source) who said that Saputo called Lenarduzzi late last night (1:30 am, EST--Lenarduzzi is in Vancouver), to apologize for last night.

What he was apologizing for (I don't mean that sarcastically either--if you were Saputo what would you apologize for? Coaching? Tactics? Player selection? Admittedly throwing the game?) and whether he actually reached Lenarduzzi, I'm not sure. I'll update when/if I find out more.

F*** that If I were the Duze I would spit in his face ... he knew that Dos Santos was going to field a weak squad that was going into the game with a who cares approach thus robbing the paying public with their a-hole performance.

Bob took a VERY high road in the media today. He commented on how the focus should be on Toronto's achievement instead of Montreal's lack of it. Teitur was a tad more critical...and he had a good point. Last year, when the Whitecaps were mathematically out of it, they turned in a professional performance and pulled out a 2-2 draw, thus opening the door for Montreal. I don't think the fixture list was any less congested, and every team has injuries.

What I really wonder, is whether Matt Jordan was ticked about not playing. He's a superb goalkeeper, and a terrific man manager. It's not like a goalkeeper runs 6 miles in a game...and I think he would have loved to stuff an MLS opponent, and still be ready for Saturday.

quote:Originally posted by Peter Schaad

Last year, when the Whitecaps were mathematically out of it, they turned in a professional performance and pulled out a 2-2 draw, thus opening the door for Montreal.

THEY WEREN'T OUT OF IT UNTIL THE CONCLUSION OF THAT GAME.

This is a V-Cup myth that needs to be clarified before it becomes accepted fact.

And I've never been a fan of the Duze but he's right... scoring six goals is an achievement full-stop. NOTHING about TFC's win needs to be qualified. THEY could have just as easily said, "well, that's unrealistic" and rolled over themselves! They didn't, went for it, and played a more frantic, passionate, risk-taking game then they ever have before. IN MONTREAL. AFTER going a goal down. TFC rarely dominates games and NEVER scored freely even when they did.

If you don't think that the team that Montreal just wanted to put out a "professional performance" and leave with their respect intact you're underestimating the competitive nature of any athlete playing at this level. What so few want to accept is that for once TFC RAISED THEIR GAME to the level required and played like their salaries and reputations indicate they should.

Will if last? Probably not but I couldn't imagine a better time for it to happen even once.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

This is a V-Cup myth that needs to be clarified before it becomes accepted fact.

And I've never been a fan of the Duze but he's right... scoring six goals is an achievement full-stop. NOTHING about TFC's win needs to be qualified. THEY could have just as easily said, "well, that's unrealistic" and rolled over themselves! They didn't, went for it, and played a more frantic, passionate, risk-taking game then they ever have before. IN MONTREAL. AFTER going a goal down. TFC rarely dominates games and NEVER scored freely even when they did.

If you don't think that the team that Montreal just wanted to put out a "professional performance" and leave with their respect intact you're underestimating the competitive nature of any athlete playing at this level. What so few want to accept is that for once TFC RAISED THEIR GAME to the level required and played like their salaries and reputations indicate they should.

Will if last? Probably not but I couldn't imagine a better time for it to happen even once.

I agree. I don't know how the game looked on TV, but I was in Section 223 and it looked like TFC could've scored 10 last night. Vitti had a couple of decent looks, Dichio probably should've had a Hattrick if his finishing was a little better. DeRo flashed on at least one great chance, Barret (as usual) wasted a few opportunities.

Look, I feel bad for Whitecaps FC fans, but quite frankly, there's a lot of undeserved bitterness directed as Toronto FC.

Montreal played ****, they shouldn't have played ****, Saputo apologized for his team's embarrassing performance, and that's the way things go. It's time to move on, there's always next year, and my bet is that it will be even better viewing next year.

This competition has been great for Canadian football, and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip down to Montreal. It was a little fun telling people I was from Saskatchewan and I cheered for Toronto FC...

The game will be a memorable one for me for a lot of reasons. First: It was my first Toronto FC game, and my 2nd Live soccer game (the first being the Santos Laguna game in February). Second, I witnessed the first cup win of any kind for Toronto FC, thirdly Fuad Ibrahim gave me his jersey after the game.

This is something that builds a fan base for the Beautiful Game. I'm happy these great rivalries mean something to the people who watch it. Next year, the competition is going to be of an even higher level.

What this competition has said to me is that the USL sides aren't much different than the MLS sides. I personally think the players on MLS sides are better but the tactics used by USL teams are far superior than those used by MLS teams. MLS can learn some things from USL...

quote:Originally posted by TFCRegina

Look, I feel bad for Whitecaps FC fans, but quite frankly, there's a lot of undeserved bitterness directed as Toronto FC.

Montreal played ****, they shouldn't have played ****, Saputo apologized for his team's embarrassing performance, and that's the way things go. It's time to move on, there's always next year, and my bet is that it will be even better viewing next year.

This competition has been great for Canadian football, and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip down to Montreal. It was a little fun telling people I was from Saskatchewan and I cheered for Toronto FC...

The game will be a memorable one for me for a lot of reasons. First: It was my first Toronto FC game, and my 2nd Live soccer game (the first being the Santos Laguna game in February). Second, I witnessed the first cup win of any kind for Toronto FC, thirdly Fuad Ibrahim gave me his jersey after the game.

This is something that builds a fan base for the Beautiful Game. I'm happy these great rivalries mean something to the people who watch it. Next year, the competition is going to be of an even higher level.

What this competition has said to me is that the USL sides aren't much different than the MLS sides. I personally think the players on MLS sides are better but the tactics used by USL teams are far superior than those used by MLS teams. MLS can learn some things from USL...

MLS has had some big name coaches, but none of the big name coaches have lived up to their hype...

None of the USL coaches are big names, but the Whitecaps and the Impact have had their share of coaches that performed above expectation.

(of course, I keep in mind that the Whitecaps and the Impact are arguably the two best clubs in USL from the top down)

Big name coaches? Like Bruce Arena?

These guys employ boring tactics K, and last time I checked there were only a handful of coaches in MLS that have decent coaching certificates (as in non-USSF coaching certificates). Most of them play the boring bucket. Cummings hasn't fallen into that trap yet, but MLS coaches in general are not utilizing the talent available to them by employing "safe" tactical set ups that try to iron out the creativity of the players on the field.

Big name coaches? Like Bruce Arena?

These guys employ boring tactics K, and last time I checked there were only a handful of coaches in MLS that have decent coaching certificates (as in non-USSF coaching certificates). Most of them play the boring bucket. Cummings hasn't fallen into that trap yet, but MLS coaches in general are not utilizing the talent available to them by employing "safe" tactical set ups that try to iron out the creativity of the players on the field.

As I said, bit name coaches not living up to their hype. Just because their big name, doesn't make them any good.

Cummins hasn't fallen into that trap? By choosing Velez over Gomez in the LA Galaxy game that costed us both goals?

That wasn't a tactical blunder, it was a player selection blunder. When I talk tactically poor decisions, I mean selecting a defensive 4-4-2 when we have a great attacking midfield that can create chances. We are playing a 4-3-3 which is designed to promote offensive play. And it's creative compared to what everybody else plays in this league.

Bruce Arena is what I like to call the typically boring, big name coach in MLS. He's always played defensively, and more so this year, as he lacks Beckham right now in LA. His tactics are ultra-defensive and boring. There's two reasons why LA's attendance has fallen this year. One is Beckham, two is that draws are boring as hell.

At least Cummings plays creatively, something significantly better than most MLS coaches.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

I agree 100%

That wasn't a tactical blunder, it was a player selection blunder. When I talk tactically poor decisions, I mean selecting a defensive 4-4-2 when we have a great attacking midfield that can create chances. We are playing a 4-3-3 which is designed to promote offensive play. And it's creative compared to what everybody else plays in this league.

Bruce Arena is what I like to call the typically boring, big name coach in MLS. He's always played defensively, and more so this year, as he lacks Beckham right now in LA. His tactics are ultra-defensive and boring. There's two reasons why LA's attendance has fallen this year. One is Beckham, two is that draws are boring as hell.

At least Cummings plays creatively, something significantly better than most MLS coaches.

In talking to US fans, Bruce Arena is seen as the Mitchell of US Soccer... He is largely blamed for "losing" Rossi (fairly or unfairly), so hes definitely considered over hyped...

He tends to play favorites with who he plays as well, his "big name" status was earned through failure in the US MNT.

And he's played the bucket with both MLS and USMNT players.

And Arena is largely considered better than Bradley, the current clown of the US. Read the MLS Talk blog, where a lot of american fans go. They'd rather have Arena now than Bradley.

This wasn't the case before the Confederation Cup... Arena is not very well liked. American fans are angry and rightly so, but to be fair, they lost to Italy and Brasil...

It could have been Mexico their instead, and the scorelines would have been the same. Not sure why Bradley is being scapegoated, their team performed poorly against superior opponents.

No, it was the case Ken. People were extremely angry with Bradley's road performance against El Salvador and Honduras in the WCQ. Fact is Bradley is worse than Arena and they both suck, but people are pining for Arena again because he sucked less.

No, it was the case Ken. People were extremely angry with Bradley's road performance against El Salvador and Honduras in the WCQ. Fact is Bradley is worse than Arena and they both suck, but people are pining for Arena again because he sucked less.

HA! Hell will freeze over before the Voyageurs start demanding for Mitchell back!

montreal is a disgrace morally in my opinion

the whitecaps gave their best player eddie sebrango back to montreal for nothing just a s a goodwill gesture and support for the impacts run in the round robin stages of the champions league.

how does montreal repay the caps and their generousity,by throwing the game.

disgusting.

quote:Originally posted by kyam

In talking to US fans, Bruce Arena is seen as the Mitchell of US Soccer... He is largely blamed for "losing" Rossi (fairly or unfairly), so hes definitely considered over hyped...

He tends to play favorites with who he plays as well, his "big name" status was earned through failure in the US MNT.

Ummm, I seem to recall a huge victory over Portugal, and a trip to the 2002 World Cup Quarter-Finals. The loss to Germany in the Quarters could have gone either way too, so I think that Arean has earned his reputation.

quote:Originally posted by snake

the whitecaps gave their best player eddie sebrango back to montreal for nothing just a s a goodwill gesture and support for the impacts run in the round robin stages of the champions league.

how does montreal repay the caps and their generousity,by throwing the game.

I am very upset with our coach's decision to play a substandard lineup and feel it disgraced our team. However, the above is completely untrue. Sebrango was out of contract, free to go where he wanted and he wanted to return to Montreal. It had nothing to do with Vancouver being generous it was simply an out of contract player exercising his right to sign where he wanted to.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

I agree. I don't know how the game looked on TV, but I was in Section 223 and it looked like TFC could've scored 10 last night. Vitti had a couple of decent looks, Dichio probably should've had a Hattrick if his finishing was a little better. DeRo flashed on at least one great chance, Barret (as usual) wasted a few opportunities.

What does Vitti have to do with possibly scoring ten goals...or even one?

Most Whitecaps fans, including me, aren't bitter towards Toronto for that match. We're justifiably angry with Dos Santos and the twerps that flitted around on the pitch in Impact uniforms.

Despite how I feel about that match, I agree that this whole thing is great for the game in this country. When Vancouver and possibly Montréal go to MLS, I hope we get a few more Canadian teams in USL. If we could get five or six teams in the Voyageurs' Cup, the whole country could get involved. Add to that the emotion of the competition this year, and we would have something somewhat resembling what the rest of the world has.

Archived