Juventus and Racism

ottawaguy2009

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/04/20/sp-juventus.html

Spain and Italy seem to have a high incidence of these types of things. Mind you, we had our own a few years back at the Bell Centre with Habs fans throwing banans onto the rink. I forget to whom exactly the racism was directed.

I think you are mixing this up with the incident in St. Petersburg where Russian fans through bananas at Jerome Iginla. I certainly don't recall something like this happening in Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

This is horrible. UEFA needs to get drastic, and start banning clubs from European competitions. That is the only way that a difference will be made.

Disagree. I think FIFA should start banning countries from the World Cup. I promise you, if an Italy or Spain or another big country that always qualifies was to be banned from entering, then their would be a massive reduction in racism. I am willing to bet all it takes is to ban 1 big country and all the other FA's in the world would police themselves like crazy to avoid getting their country banned

it seems drastic, but it would be good for the game.

quote:Originally posted by prizby

Disagree. I think FIFA should start banning countries from the World Cup. I promise you, if an Italy or Spain or another big country that always qualifies was to be banned from entering, then their would be a massive reduction in racism. I am willing to bet all it takes is to ban 1 big country and all the other FA's in the world would police themselves like crazy to avoid getting their country banned

it seems drastic, but it would be good for the game.

Yes way too drastic. It also punishes countries for having big clubs and big leagues. This happens at a KS Ruch Chorzów match and nobody would hear about it.

quote:Originally posted by Ace-o-Bastones

These guys are paid big bucks to not let a few ignorant fans rattle them. You will never stop racism in football or in life.

You're half-right. Trying to eliminate racism entirely is as futile a fight as waging a war on terror: an ideology can never be completely defeated.

But regardless of what they're being paid, no one should have to endure racial taunts from thousands of slack-jawed idiots. Cracking down on perpetrators of these acts -- and punishing clubs whose supporters continue to exhibit this behaviour -- is just and necessary. You'll never get rid of 100% of the idiots, but you've got to try.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yes way too drastic. It also punishes countries for having big clubs and big leagues. This happens at a KS Ruch Chorzów match and nobody would hear about it.

by taking down the top, it makes it easier to take down the smaller as well, but you start at the top so you get everyone's attention.

Archived