Voyageurs' Cup matches at the Big O?

Noel Butler said this morning on Team 990 that there will be soccer at the Big O this summer. He couldn't divulge any other details. Could it be that the Impact will try to build on last months' success by holding the Voyageurs' Cup matches there against the Caps and TFC? Despite the obvious downside of being indoors and on turf I think it would be fantastic for the game's profile as I could definitely see it attracting major crowds.

That said, we may be looking at something completely different... Gold Cup?

I'd say probably international friendlies, but the VCup game against TFC could be a possibility. I don't know if the Vancouver game would draw as much.

I'd also be surprised as season ticket holders have already paid for those games at SS.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'd say probably international friendlies, but the VCup game against TFC could be a possibility. I don't know if the Vancouver game would draw as much.

I'd also be surprised as season ticket holders have already paid for those games at SS.

Yeah you're probably right about the friendlies, just hope it's not against Haiti or Morrocco or some country that'll fill the damn place with away support [:P]

This could be Fiorentina coming to Montreal as we've all been speculating for awhile now. Or even better yet, there have been rumors that Inter would be crossing the Atlantic this summer so who knows.

Saputo will not put the V Cup games indoors thats a guarantee. You can deffinetly bet on international club friendlies !

There is no logic in it being a MNT friendly. Why would they put it at the big O rather than at BMO? Its not as if the Big O has grass, if anything they'd play the match at Saputo, the Big O just doesn't make sense for a MNT friendly. Plus after last September's debacle I don't think we'll be seeing a MNT game for just a little while longer.

But as I said I honestly think it will be (if Noel is stating the truth that there will be some footy action at the Big O come summer) an international club friendly. Now that doesn't necessarily meen the Impact will be playing in the game, all it meens IMO is that one or maybe two top flight European clubs will make the trip over the Atlantic to Montreal as part of top flight Euro clubs North American tour.

There is no logic in it being a MNT friendly. Why would they put it at the big O rather than at BMO? Its not as if the Big O has grass, if anything they'd play the match at Saputo, the Big O just doesn't make sense for a MNT friendly. Plus after last September's debacle I don't think we'll be seeing a MNT game for just a little while longer.

But as I said I honestly think it will be (if Noel is stating the truth that there will be some footy action at the Big O come summer) an international club friendly. Now that doesn't necessarily meen the Impact will be playing in the game, all it meens IMO is that one or maybe two top flight European clubs will make the trip over the Atlantic to Montreal as part of top flight Euro clubs North American tour.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Yeah but why play club friendlies in the middle of a season? Could it be MNT friendlies?

It's true that's not what you would normally do in mid-season; but I think for the Impact you'll get a lot more attention from media and casual fans for a game v a big European or Latin American club, then for a regular league fixture. Conversely, most European clubs aren't interested in playing friendlies in March/April, when the North American sides would prefer to play them.

I'd be a little surprised (pleasantly surprised) if the our qualifiers could sell that many tickets, If they only doubled their usual stade saputo capacity (we'll say 25000 - 30000 tickets sold), which would still be fairly successful from a fans point of view but might not be worth it in terms of profit (obviously I don't know the exact numbers but 50% capacity doesn't sound great without subsidies) and if it were profitably fuzzy then they couldn't afford dipping sales in a poor run.

I'm not even sure if the group stage for champions league would sell enough unless there was a mexican opponent and it were at an exciting point in the campaign (maybe the opener would sell great but any after elimination (maybe even post promotion) ones probably wouldn't be their record sellers.

that said I'm not from Montreal, just had prudency alarms buzzing off (ie buzzkills)

I'm assuming these games will be international friendlies:

1- Garber has caught on to the USL, and more specifically the Impact and what they are capable of. He has probably set up some friendlies with MLS teams. (Or certain MLS teams wanted these friendlies themselves, with the Impact) I'm thinking that the New England Revs or New York Red Bulls will make the trip (close proximity). Garber wants to see if a potential rivalry exists. How many fans from Boston, New York will make the trip up to Montreal, etc. Both Saputo and Garber want to see if the MLS is viable in Montreal. They want to see how many they can stuff into the Big O for MLS - Impact matches.

2- Due to Saputo and De Santis' connections with Italy and Italian football clubs, it's possible that there will be an Italian team coming over to play some friendlies with the Impact. I'm thinking a Serie B club.

3 - Garber may have worked out arrangements for this summer's tour of certain international clubs like Real Madrid, Roma, AC Milan, etc. They have come other years. Saputo may have paid Garber a fee to have him arrange one of these clubs make a pit stop at the Big - O for a friendly v. l'Impact.

quote:Originally posted by Peter S

It's true that's not what you would normally do in mid-season; but I think for the Impact you'll get a lot more attention from media and casual fans for a game v a big European or Latin American club, then for a regular league fixture. Conversely, most European clubs aren't interested in playing friendlies in March/April, when the North American sides would prefer to play them.

Judging by the fact that the Impact garnered so much attention in Mexico (I watched the games on justin.tv and spent that time listening and taking part in the chat room. All Mexicans asking where Montreal is, who are the Impact, etc. etc. Perhaps they'll be invited down for some friendlies. One amigo even said that they should see about being invited into the Copa Sudamericana [thank you Daniel] as some Mexican and even some MLS clubs have been invited to.

Honduras is playing a friendly against Montreal (posted in another topic). Central America likes the Impact's style as it's closer to their own than most MLS clubs. Perhaps there'll be a couple friendlies with some central american club sides.

I've read somewhere that when the Impact was in Mexico, Santos Laguna, Cruz Azul and Rayados Monterrey all offered the Impact to hold their winter training camp in their facilities next year, with friendlies being played of course. That would be better than playing some obscure Italian Serie C teams...

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

1- Garber has caught on to the USL, and more specifically the Impact and what they are capable of. He has probably set up some friendlies with MLS teams. (Or certain MLS teams wanted these friendlies themselves, with the Impact) I'm thinking that the New England Revs or New York Red Bulls will make the trip (close proximity). Garber wants to see if a potential rivalry exists. How many fans from Boston, New York will make the trip up to Montreal, etc. Both Saputo and Garber want to see if the MLS is viable in Montreal. They want to see how many they can stuff into the Big O for MLS - Impact matches.

2- Due to Saputo and De Santis' connections with Italy and Italian football clubs, it's possible that there will be an Italian team coming over to play some friendlies with the Impact. I'm thinking a Serie B club.

3 - Garber may have worked out arrangements for this summer's tour of certain international clubs like Real Madrid, Roma, AC Milan, etc. They have come other years. Saputo may have paid Garber a fee to have him arrange one of these clubs make a pit stop at the Big - O for a friendly v. l'Impact.

Garber is not a FIFA match agent..so I doubt he is doing it .. a Match agent puts it together and then negogiates the cost factors to the clubs.

They may come from Europe to play MLS sides but its not MLS doing the match arrangements there will be some Match agent in the mix somewhere.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

Garber is not a FIFA match agent..so I doubt he is doing it .. a Match agent puts it together and then negogiates the cost factors to the clubs.

They may come from Europe to play MLS sides but its not MLS doing the match arrangements there will be some Match agent in the mix somewhere.

I've heard it's AC Milan against Chelsea on July 24th at the Big O. This link doesn't confirm it but there's going to be a press conference Tuesday in New York where those teams as well as Inter and Club America will announce a summer exhibition tour.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/03/portland_baltimore_dc_ny.html#comments

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

I've heard it's AC Milan against Chelsea on July 24th at the Big O. This link doesn't confirm it but there's going to be a press conference Tuesday in New York where those teams as well as Inter and Club America will announce a summer exhibition tour.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/03/portland_baltimore_dc_ny.html#comments

[xx(]

Archived