'No Nay Never ' for Southside Song Book

My vocal chords were damaged as a child, so I have great difficulty leading chants, but love to write them. I notice that neither the Vs nor the Southsiders have a No Nay Never/Wild Rover song. I believe the original is Burnley's salute to Blackburn, though most English supporters seem to have a version. I want to submit this to the Southside song book, but I can't login in over there (resend me that confirmation email already!).

For our friends in Portland:

They've been a timber army for many a year

And they spent all their money on hairy beaver and beards

They ask the Southside for credit, we answer them "Nay"

For hooligans like you we could have any day!

And it's no, nay, never, no nay never no more

That we'll greet the timber army, no never no more!

Here's a link to the Pogues version for the tune:

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The innuendo is in your lyrics though, intentional or not. I would change them. Don't know about the Timbers but if the Southsiders sing that to UM we probably wouldn't have a reply because we won't be able to stop laughing.

Ok. Let me work on it. Though, I think it might just be a sublimated homosexual desire on your part. Maybe your English is slipping now that you've been hanging around the UM. All I can think of "Hooligans like yours have nothing so say." But that's no good. Especially because the way it is is true to the actual song. Alright Grizzly, as a professional musician, what do you recommend?

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Ok. Let me work on it. Though, I think it might just be a sublimated homosexual desire on your part. Maybe your English is slipping now that you've been hanging around the UM. All I can think of "Hooligans like yours have nothing so say." But that's no good. Especially because the way it is is true to the actual song. Alright Grizzly, as a professional musician, what do you recommend?

That's a good one! Asking a UM member to write a song for the Southsiders! I could think of a lot of good replacement lines but you are on your own on this one.

BTW, have is quite often used as a sexual connotation so if anyone has sublimated homosexual desire I would think it would "have" to be the author of the line.:D

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That's a good one! Asking a UM member to write a song for the Southsiders! I could think of a lot of good replacement lines but you are on your own on this one.

BTW, have is quite often used as a sexual connotation so if anyone has sublimated homosexual desire I would think it would "have" to be the author of the line.:D

But that's just it, those are the original lyrics. However, you are correct, they are not homosexual, because they are spoken from the perspective of a woman. Does that mean the author is transgendered? I don't know. It's a slippery slope. Maybe we're being sexist even discussing it. Again, Grizzly, I'm shocked you of all people would be this politically incorrect.

But now Grizzly, you've thrown down. Let's have a dual to see who can come with the best No Nay Never for the other side. Do you accept? Actually, let's set some ground rules. Here's what I propose:

-English only

-Must stick to the song (All Ultras "songs" I've seen are a bunch of French guys jumping around going "La La La")

Do you accept my terms?

Disclaimer: I just want to clearly state that I'm not representing any homophobic views, either on behalf of myself or anyone else. My use of the word "queer" simply means "strange" or "unusual," and oddity -like a homophobic Quebecois might be, in itself, quite "queer."

You clearly are a left coaster, I just dont know why your so focussed on the Timbers to start with .... I mean is that not clearly phallic ? Timbers, Lumberjacks, Softwood Southsiders.. where is it all going ? Next your going to say you wnat the new Ottawa MLS franchise to be called the RoughRiders....

But that's just it, those are the original lyrics. However, you are correct, they are not homosexual, because they are spoken from the perspective of a woman. Does that mean the author is transgendered? I don't know. It's a slippery slope. Maybe we're being sexist even discussing it. Again, Grizzly, I'm shocked you of all people would be this politically incorrect.

But now Grizzly, you've thrown down. Let's have a dual to see who can come with the best No Nay Never for the other side. Do you accept? Actually, let's set some ground rules. Here's what I propose:

-English only

-Must stick to the song (All Ultras "songs" I've seen are a bunch of French guys jumping around going "La La La")

Do you accept my terms?

I find this a bit ridiculous. You can mock ultras for saying lalalalala and jumping around, but I would rather play and see this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/user/vikingFK/video/x6zhfy_ultras-montreal-vs-vancouver_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/user/vikingFK/video/x6xonz_ultras-montreal-contre-atlante-fc_sport

Over this:

And I was under the impression you guys like words in your songs?

;)

For those of you who don't know, this is all in fun.

Wow that's weird. I was just thinking about a song for the Timbers. I'm not even a Southsider, evidence by my inability to post on their board. Then all this hate on homosexuals followed by a Toller Cranston like indignation at the suggestion that the big, bad UM are not actually choir boys.

I mean, no one could have ever predicted making fun of beards and hairy ***** would bring out the Grizzly. The Ultras are definitely not predictable or at all gullible or in anyway easily provoked through incredibly transparent means. That's what I like about them. ;)

Only a nation in love with Celine Dion would be so greating gay not to realize that they are having the piss taken. You are all fantastic singers. You sing well. Formidable. Tres bien.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived