FIFA International week: 10,11 February

amacpher

Guest Jeffery S.

Tonight Spain receives England in Sevilla. I think Spain players are very on form so I expect a win, especially since Torres and Villa are very hot lately, and with Silva and Iniesta in behind I don't think England's defense will handle them.

Add to that Capello's ultra defensive style, which Spain will be happy with since it means possession for the home side.

Spain is missing Puyol, only real starter out.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Tonight Spain receives England in Sevilla. I think Spain players are very on form so I expect a win, especially since Torres and Villa are very hot lately, and with Silva and Iniesta in behind I don't think England's defense will handle them.

Add to that Capello's ultra defensive style, which Spain will be happy with since it means possession for the home side.

Spain is missing Puyol, only real starter out.

I expect Capello will play Carrick today which should help England keep more of the ball.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I expect Capello will play Carrick today which should help England keep more of the ball.

Well I like Carrick, one of my favourite English players, but it did not happen. The England midfield worked hard for about 20 minutes and there was even a few chances for them, but Spain's short passing game was too much for them, 2-0 win. One goal first half, Villa dribbles straight through the middle, the other later 2nd outraged Capello, Llorente rising to head home for his first Spain goal from a fine Xavi free kick. Overall a weak performance from the England centre backs, and the winner looked dominant with Xavi in charge.

Those who rate Torres higher than Villa: the latter, having a "poor" season, no one talking about him, is 2nd in Spanish league scoring and has struck in 6 straight games for Spain, every one since the Eurocup final. You also have to wonder why Lampard or Terry get rated so high in international awards after performances like this, especially Lampard disappoints almost always. If only England could rejuvenate Scholes.

Also watched first half of France Argentina, tape delay. Have to say France carried the play, was aggressive, went for it, met good keeping and was unlucky. And then Argentina made them pay late in the half, without really dominating, and, held up well 2nd half. Still, I liked the spark of both sides, a livelier match from what I saw than Spain-England, a bit dull on the pitch due to Spain's control and England's ineffective responses.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Brasil-2, Italy-0wned!!

Luca Toni has to be the most overrated striker in the world today! Andrea Pirlo also deserves a place in the world's overrated XI.

It'll be a while before this video gets old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZxVUqoTcg

[:P]

Not sure who else is playing during this international break. Does anything else matter? [^]

I'm sure they wish they could trade in their World Cup for a better effort in a meaningless friendly...

Well I like Carrick, one of my favourite English players, but it did not happen. The England midfield worked hard for about 20 minutes and there was even a few chances for them, but Spain's short passing game was too much for them, 2-0 win. One goal first half, Villa dribbles straight through the middle, the other later 2nd outraged Capello, Llorente rising to head home for his first Spain goal from a fine Xavi free kick. Overall a weak performance from the England centre backs, and the winner looked dominant with Xavi in charge.

Those who rate Torres higher than Villa: the latter, having a "poor" season, no one talking about him, is 2nd in Spanish league scoring and has struck in 6 straight games for Spain, every one since the Eurocup final. You also have to wonder why Lampard or Terry get rated so high in international awards after performances like this, especially Lampard disappoints almost always. If only England could rejuvenate Scholes.

Also watched first half of France Argentina, tape delay. Have to say France carried the play, was aggressive, went for it, met good keeping and was unlucky. And then Argentina made them pay late in the half, without really dominating, and, held up well 2nd half. Still, I liked the spark of both sides, a livelier match from what I saw than Spain-England, a bit dull on the pitch due to Spain's control and England's ineffective responses.

Carrick is one of the best passers of the ball in the world. He has good composure on the ball and sprays 30, 40 yard balls effortlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZuH5TVVFk&eur

watch this video at about the 3:17 mark or one of the nicest passes you will ever see - notice that Carrick delivers the ball with his first touch.

I don't think too many people expected Argentina to dominate in France. But I think they were well worth the two-goal victory. Then again if Anelka is your lone striker up front you're not going to beat anybody. You'll rarely even score a goal. If Benzema starts maybe France score first and then it could've been a different second-half.

Lampard gets rated high for international awards because of his club play. And deservedly so. He always sucked with the England-jersey on but that doesn't mean he isn't a great player!

Terry? Yeah, he's overrated.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

If England are to produce successful National teams in the future then young English kids need to take up Futsal, big time.

Spain, Brazil, Portugal, Italy, etc did and look at how comfortable they are on the ball.

Portugal are awful ATM. Probably won't even qualify for the World Cup. Overall England is playing very well under Capello (shows what you can do with a great manager and mediocre skill, but then again Italy has proven that for decades). Nobody can touch Spain right now especially in Spain when missing your best 4 players.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I don't think too many people expected Argentina to dominate in France. But I think they were well worth the two-goal victory. Then again if Anelka is your lone striker up front you're not going to beat anybody. You'll rarely even score a goal. If Benzema starts maybe France score first and then it could've been a different second-half.

Lampard gets rated high for international awards because of his club play. And deservedly so. He always sucked with the England-jersey on but that doesn't mean he isn't a great player!

Terry? Yeah, he's overrated.

Portugal are awful ATM. Probably won't even qualify for the World Cup. Overall England is playing very well under Capello (shows what you can do with a great manager and mediocre skill, but then again Italy has proven that for decades). Nobody can touch Spain right now especially in Spain when missing your best 4 players.

If I remember correctly one of your main criticism of Italy is that they always play defensive but have the players to play attractive and positive soccer. So, now they have mediocre skills?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

If I remember correctly one of your main criticism of Italy is that they always play defensive but have the players to play attractive and positive soccer. So, now they have mediocre skills?

I was obviously wrong as they played attacking football for the first two matches in Euro 2008 and got pantsed!

Portugal's main problem is having no Natural Born Goalscorer. Their best Striker is Nuno Gomes, but he is getting on in Years.

Spain beat England because they have the best Midfield in the World at the moment. Xavi and Senna dictate the Tempo and can pass well. In relation to England's injuries, let's not forget that Fab 4 was missing for Spain.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Portugal's main problem is having no Natural Born Goalscorer. Their best Striker is Nuno Gomes, but he is getting on in Years.

Spain beat England because they have the best Midfield in the World at the moment. Xavi and Senna dictate the Tempo and can pass well. In relation to England's injuries, let's not forget that Fab 4 was missing for Spain.

Spain had an improvised centre defense, Albiol and Piqué, with Puyol injured, and England could still not perforate, though they came close in the first minutes, or at least had chances. Cesc is not a regular starter, imagine the depth there. Some complained that Del Bosque should have called in Arteta, who deserves it I agree, but the argument is not to bring in someone who won't have continuity when Cesc is back.

Spain will probably be making a few changes in the next few official matches. Starting with changing the third striker (Guïza is in Turkey and not shining, so look for Negredo from Almeria for example). They also need to get a few outside attackers into the mix, to get that option back, sometimes you need a wide wing to open up a tough defense.

As for Carrick, honestly, I went to the Barça-ManUtd semi final and thought he was excellent. Mostly tactically, defensively (Man U did nothing with the ball, they just defended in ordered fashion). But as a creative mid he would not even be called up for Spain, there is no comparison, sorry. Let's not let colours blind us. Carrick is nowhere near the quality of player Scholes was, and without someone like that and a killer striker, not to mention better keeping (James was at it again, though not on the goals to be fair), they are not likely to go very far even qualifying for the WC 2010.

Have to add: Gourcuff. This is most probably the big transfer fight for this summer. I was in France last week working and saw on tv the Girondins win over PSF 0-3, got to see him a whole match, very interesting player, a real talent. And young. He has appeared in the Barça rumour mill as a possibility alongside Ribery, and I expect more teams will be after him come summer. Any thoughts on him for those who saw France-Argentina?

Spain had an improvised centre defense, Albiol and Piqué, with Puyol injured, and England could still not perforate, though they came close in the first minutes, or at least had chances. Cesc is not a regular starter, imagine the depth there. Some complained that Del Bosque should have called in Arteta, who deserves it I agree, but the argument is not to bring in someone who won't have continuity when Cesc is back.

Spain will probably be making a few changes in the next few official matches. Starting with changing the third striker (Guïza is in Turkey and not shining, so look for Negredo from Almeria for example). They also need to get a few outside attackers into the mix, to get that option back, sometimes you need a wide wing to open up a tough defense.

As for Carrick, honestly, I went to the Barça-ManUtd semi final and thought he was excellent. Mostly tactically, defensively (Man U did nothing with the ball, they just defended in ordered fashion). But as a creative mid he would not even be called up for Spain, there is no comparison, sorry. Let's not let colours blind us. Carrick is nowhere near the quality of player Scholes was, and without someone like that and a killer striker, not to mention better keeping (James was at it again, though not on the goals to be fair), they are not likely to go very far even qualifying for the WC 2010.

Have to add: Gourcuff. This is most probably the big transfer fight for this summer. I was in France last week working and saw on tv the Girondins win over PSF 0-3, got to see him a whole match, very interesting player, a real talent. And young. He has appeared in the Barça rumour mill as a possibility alongside Ribery, and I expect more teams will be after him come summer. Any thoughts on him for those who saw France-Argentina?

I said one of the best at spraying 30-40 yard passes across the pitch. By one of the best I mean top 8-10, I agree with you though Scholes was, and still is better, but he is a very different player. Much less floated and curving balls, Scholes plays a lot more direct and often creative balls. As for the Barca - Man. United semi to be fair that was one of Carrick's better games defensively, purely because of the fact that Barca had so much of the ball. Carrick's tackling isn't brilliant, but he is very good at breaking up opponents attacks.

The one thing I disagree with is saying England will not go very far in qualifying for the World Cup. I don't think England will win the tournament, but they have at least a shot at making the semis. They beat Germany in Germany missing several starters, and they are beat teams like Croatia and Belarus away with relative ease. Until Capello loses a competitive match I will keep my hopes up for England. I won't get too excited like the English media have over this team, but I think they are better than you give them credit for.

Guest Jeffery S.

I said one of the best at spraying 30-40 yard passes across the pitch. By one of the best I mean top 8-10, I agree with you though Scholes was, and still is better, but he is a very different player. Much less floated and curving balls, Scholes plays a lot more direct and often creative balls. As for the Barca - Man. United semi to be fair that was one of Carrick's better games defensively, purely because of the fact that Barca had so much of the ball. Carrick's tackling isn't brilliant, but he is very good at breaking up opponents attacks.

The one thing I disagree with is saying England will not go very far in qualifying for the World Cup. I don't think England will win the tournament, but they have at least a shot at making the semis. They beat Germany in Germany missing several starters, and they are beat teams like Croatia and Belarus away with relative ease. Until Capello loses a competitive match I will keep my hopes up for England. I won't get too excited like the English media have over this team, but I think they are better than you give them credit for.

If England had a proven keeper, which they do not (Spain has about 8 keepers better than anyone opting for England no. 1) and a killer striker, world class, which they don't either, and had everyone healthy, I'd agree with you.

I think this World Cup is going to be a great chance for Spain because as mentioned by others Argentina has some serious gaps, though Maradona has time to correct a few, Brazil is also accessible (no leadership on the pitch, and less talent than normally), and Spain is psychologically stronger than everyone. Except maybe the two S American powers and Italy, who are always dangerous, for me the most dangerous team in official competition. Just look at last year's quarter final in the Eurocup, such a tough match, when really Spain was clearly the superior side. As also mentioned, France has great talent, some of the best, another side that is not playing to their potential.

I'm not saying they are world class, but the Heskey-Rooney partnership has been working pretty well for England, and Rooney generally plays well when playing behind a target man. Something that Rooney didn't have at all under McClaren. As for the keeper situation I'll give you the fact that the English don't have too many quality keepers at the moment, but Lehman wasn't that good when Germany made the Euro final, neither was Barthez when France made the World Cup final in 2006. A quality keeper is much less important that a solid back four.

I said one of the best at spraying 30-40 yard passes across the pitch. By one of the best I mean top 8-10, I agree with you though Scholes was, and still is better, but he is a very different player. Much less floated and curving balls, Scholes plays a lot more direct and often creative balls.

At the risk of inciting rebuke, I have to say that I have never been a big Scholes fan, at least at international level. Can't really pinpoint why, to tell you the truth: perhaps I have always felt that he should have been much more influential or dominant, and that may have as much to do with where successive England managers have played him on the pitch (i.e. on the left of SVG's midfield "diamond").

As you said he was often played out of position with England, hence him quitting the English National Team at a considerably young age. His performances with Man. United were much greater than his performances with England ever were.

As you said he was often played out of position with England, hence him quitting the English National Team at a considerably young age. His performances with Man. United were much greater than his performances with England ever were.

Definitely. Regardless of the factors, it wouldn't be the first time we've seen players who failed to match their club performances when wearing a national team shirt.

Guest Jeffery S.

Glad to see there are other admirers of Scholes out there, I would have loved to have seen him in Spain a few years, I think he could have handled it wonderfully.

England has a nice problem with players coming in through Villa or Everton, meaning a wider player pool, some youth. Another thing is whether they have enough time to really groom that new talent for a World Cup in little over a year.

One thing that is really helping Spain like never before is the versatility they get from having players in EPL, have to say. That kind of personal and playing experience is considerable.

BTW, not sure if mentioned: Cyprus played Slovakia and beat them. Their U-21s drew with Serbia. Maybe we should not be knocking them as a rival, they seem to be getting stronger.

Guest Jeffery S.

Nobody mentioned that Dani Fernandes played the last 25 minutes of Portugal-Finland, I think his first minutes in a full senior match for Portugal, the only other one was against a Kuwait XI or selection from clubs, if I recall correctly.

Archived