Miami lands MLS team for 2010: Orlando Sentinal

spiral

Miami was always going to get one. Once Barca signed on, that was cache the league couldn't say no to. With that being said its good a few ways:

its geographically the opposite side of the country, this hurts ottawa if they want one west and one east team.

They followed the money. If this is what MLS wants, a guaranteed big money investor, look no further than Vancouver.

It's not Ottawa, St. Louis or Portland. If it was one of those it would've really hurt us. Given the timing of this too, that must've meant they never really considered Ottawa a viable option.

How in your opinion does this hurt our bid?

In your other post you mention this hurts Vancouver as they will give one of the other ones to St. Louis or Portland. What's the basis for that opinion?

The fact they haven't given one to the west is great for us. if your of the belief its going one for the east and one for the west it effectively eliminates Ottawa.

I find more similarities in the miami Barca bid (big cash, pre-existing soccer infrastructure, big cash, big cash) to Vancouver than St. Louis or Portland.

We have a soccer academy that's competitive with any in the mls, we have a training facility that's second to none. Portland has a park that's shared with a baseball team, we have one that's shared with a football team. The difference is we've already got approval to make it more soccer specific where Portland does not.

I agree Portland has a shot, I was just curious what made you so sure BC wasn't getting it, as you alluded to in your other post.

This is what I think helps vancouver's bid. Half of the owners are cheap and would love to have a have Vancouver because they would get that share of the expansion money. The other half want to expand the league think the Whitecaps FO have a similar vision so I'm guessing they want them in. I still believe that the '2 teams' thing is bull****, the MLS will take all teams that qualify.

Honestly, I have my doubts abouth So.Florida as a sports market. I have been living here for just about 7 years, and the only thing that seems to have any staying power is Miami Dolphins football, and occasionally Miami Hurricanes football. Everything else is so far off the radar, except for special events. The Marlins,with a young, exciting team (and a couple of championships despite the low salary budget), barely averages 10,000 fans/game. The Heat gets decent crowds, but no one really tlks about them. The Panthers are probably averaging 10,000 a game, and the only great crowds coincide with the Habs, Leafs, Rangers, Flyers and Bruins coming to town. Don't get me wrong, as an Ottawa guy, I don't mind seeing my Sens down here twice a year, but really, the Panthers should not be here.

Which leads me to the Barca expansion team....what a mistake that's going to be(IMHO). Playing in a college football stadium, on plastic, and in the middle of nowhere. Right now, no one even knows there's a USL1 team,and even though that didn't mean anything in Toronto, it will here.

I think MLS is going for the sure expansion fee $$$$ not worrying about the future of the team. I am confident Vancouver will get in by 2011, and Montreal down the road will do the same, as I am positive that within a couple of years, there will unfortunately be some more room in the league by way of contraction.

PS If my theory is correct, then Ottawa will be in also by virtue of MLS needing the bucks....

The Miami situation is no different from the Chivas situation in every way. An owner with BAGS of money, an existing soccer brand and a grand plan of attracting a Latin audience.

Sadly, I agree with Gloucester in FLA...you'll wind up with the same result. 5,000 people in an empty stadium, with probably a decent team.

I have it on good authority that no final selection has been made, and that these reports out of Spain are entirely presumptive.

I can imagine that because of Barca's involvement, there are a fair amount of contractual negotiations needed before Miami can even be properly considered. If MLS and Barca can't come to terms on things like sponsorship and branding, then the whole Miami-Barcelona connection goes out the window, and where would that leave the Miami bid?

Guest Jeffery S.

Guys, Barça director Joan Oliver or maybe one of his boys is/are leaking details to the press to create a bit of buzz. Buzz is valuable. It may also be a factor in negotiations with Nike or other sponsors, the earlier the decision is made the more valuable for Barça, which could exploit it almost immediately.

So don't underestimate the rumourology in the Spanish sports press, which is full of speculation and lies, but also surprisingly ahead of things and indiscreet at times.

If you want I can just call them up and ask, being a club member I have every right. But so far I can't be bothered.

There is no doubt that Barca are negotiating pre-contract paperwork with MLS, as it's a necessary step in considering the Miami bid. But it doesn't mean they will get an MLS franchise. If the other expansion bids were tied to overseas teams, then those teams would have the same paperwork (excluding any whose bid had already been dismissed outright).

Of course Miami are a strong favourite, and they should get in. Except maybe if these negotiations with Barca go pear shaped.

quote:Originally posted by spiral

Now apparently the Miami bid has been rejected by MLS.

Oh, and by the way, British Columbia and Vancouver are two different bids:

http://www.eufootball.biz/Clubs/6684-miami_deal_mls.html

"Miami has a good chance of gaining a football (soccer) team, along with British Columbia; Portland, Oregon; Ottawa; Vancouver, and St. Louis."

Too funny. Whitecaps for the coast and Snowcaps for the interior?

;)

quote:Originally posted by spiral

Looks like Vancouver is still in the running but Portland is a threat:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/02/11/1105039/garber-barcamiami-team-would-start-in-2010

Where in that article does it suggest that Portland is a threat? A threat to who? OH of course...you're trolling...so a threat to Vancouver because you have a BC Place stadium fetish, along with your tickle fetish.

you dumb ass: a threat to knock Vancouver out of a MLS spot!

what the hell do ya think I'm referring to??????

mabey if you'd follow the Portland situation you'd wouldn't be so clueless

You're as stupid with your tickle fetish as vancouversoccerman

Archived