Miami lands MLS team for 2010: Orlando Sentinal

spiral

quote:Originally posted by spiral

you dumb ass: a threat to knock Vancouver out of a MLS spot!

what the hell do ya think I'm referring to??????

mabey if you'd follow the Portland situation you'd wouldn't be so clueless

You're as stupid with your tickle fetish as vancouversoccerman

Show me the quote in the article that says Portland is any threat to Vancouver. Just show it. Do some homework for a change. Show all of us where it states in the article you posted that Portland is somehow a threat to Vancouver.

You're such a tool.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Show me the quote in the article that says Portland is any threat to Vancouver. Just show it. Do some homework for a change. Show all of us where it states in the article you posted that Portland is somehow a threat to Vancouver.

You're such a tool.

Totally opposite. Having all 3 (Seattle, Vancouver and Portland) is what MLS wants and will get. A long time, established regional rivalry, 3 way derby (Cascadia Cup), great fan support at USL-1 level and a history of travelling fans.

Vancouver is just farther along than Portland so they will get in first. Portland will get to MLS around 2012/13 once they sort out the stadium financing issues.

If Miami gets in then there's one spot left and it goes to Vancouver or someone else, likely Portland.

If anything, I'd say Portland is farther along as they have a SSS ready to be upgraded (funding has to be approved) and they have some ideas on where to build a new stadium for the Beavers.

Here we have BC Place and nothing solid on a SSS, just ideas and hopes.

The MLS says they're topping it off at 18 teams. Miami will be # 17. I don't see expansion past 18, not with this economy

If Miami gets in then there's one spot left and it goes to Vancouver or someone else, likely Portland.

If anything, I'd say Portland is farther along as they have a SSS ready to be upgraded (funding has to be approved) and they have some ideas on where to build a new stadium for the Beavers.

Here we have BC Place and nothing solid on a SSS, just ideas and hopes.

The MLS says they're topping it off at 18 teams. Miami will be # 17. I don't see expansion past 18, not with this economy

First of all, there's been many suggestions that Garber is ready to accept 4 teams, and introduce team's 19 and 20 in 2012 or 2013. He has been quoted as saying they're NOT capping the league at 18. Which, is BECAUSE of the economy, not despite it. He wants to grab 160 million dollars (or more) of expansion fees while he can...to spread amongst the teams affected by "the economy".

Secondly, just because Portland has PGE Park does not put them in the driver's seat. They must have funding to bring the stadium up to MLS standards and the city also has to build a triple A ball park. Like TCMurph posted, MLS wants Vancouver Seattle and Portland...period.

Vancouver has more than just "ideas and hopes" they have LAND, and the money</u> to build. BC Place has been, and always will be a temporary solution...and will in all likelihood come into play for bigger games down the road even when the Whitecaps get their SSS.

But it's pointless trying to deal in fact and reason with you because you DON'T WANT the Whitecaps to go MLS, nor do you want MLS to succeed...you've made that very obvious. And if you are who I think you are, that makes perfect sense. The Whitecaps are as good as in...and that's been whispered from within the board of governors all the way back to when this process started.

I DO want Vancouver to be in the MLS. Whether MLS will succeed I have no idea. What the hell gives you the idea I don't want Vancouver in the MLS? How stupid.

No the Whitecaps don't have the "LAND". That's being controlled by the Port of Vancouver. So far, they Port is not interested in giving up that land in lieu of future Port expansion.

Negotiations have broken off. You have some evidence that Kerfoot and the Port and back together talking again?

If so, quote a news release or article indicating so.

I DO want Vancouver to be in the MLS. Whether MLS will succeed I have no idea. What the hell gives you the idea I don't want Vancouver in the MLS? How stupid.

No the Whitecaps don't have the "LAND". That's being controlled by the Port of Vancouver. So far, they Port is not interested in giving up that land in lieu of future Port expansion.

Negotiations have broken off. You have some evidence that Kerfoot and the Port and back together talking again?

If so, quote a news release or article indicating so.

You mean like all the credible news releases or articles you've wasted our time with?

Learn what's going on. They OWN the land...the city has given them the approval. The negotiations are on-going, but there will be new players coming on board from the port and the Whitecaps aren't under any pressure because they have BC Place for 5 years starting 2011 ...but the process is ONGOING. They are currently having the lands appraised independently. Google it.

And why do I think you don't want MLS in Vancouver? Because practically every one of your posts has a negative slant toward Vancouver's chances.

Vancouver is IN. Guaranteed...take it to the bank. MLS wanted Vancouver before this whole process even started.

You're an idiot! They DO NOT own the land! There's no agreement in place and there's NO negotiations going on currently.

Are you in Calgary? Stay there cause you are clueless as to what is REALLY going on here.

Stop depending solely on wikipedia for your info.

Whether Kerfoot owns a tract of land in that area or not...

the fact is there is a Federal Law that prohibits construction of a Stadium on Port Land near the water (the Oceans are Federal jurisdiction).

Kerfoot still neads clearance from the Feds before construction of that Stadium can go ahead.

^ Alright Mr. Wikipedia, please show all of us how smart you are and link us to the Federal Law (why the random capitalization?) prohibiting the construction of a stadium on Port Land near the Water (or the Oceans for what it is worth).

I would hazard a guess that you aren't able to find such a Federal Law (here is a hint to help you in your search, Federal Laws are called statutes and have related regulations).

Guest Jeffery S.

Back to the thread topic.

A possible set-back or negative side to the Miami-Barça bid has come out in the press this week. El País newspaper (in an article in fact written by my wife's cousin and head of sports for the Barcelona edition) has revealed a number of possible business conflicts of president Joan Laporta. The first was his law firm being involved in the possible sale of Mallorca club to an Uzbek investor. Barça recently received 5 million euros from a Uzbek team for training, a friendly here, and a friendly to be played there, and many Barça players have gone to do clinics, being paid very high fees.

The second question was Miami-Barça. The doubt concerned Laporta pushing ahead to possibly open up his own business opportunities in North America. The fact that Adidas is the MLS sponsor was said to be a problem for the Nike deal, which directly affects player contracts as well, meaning squad stability. Mention was also made of the relative benefits of going into MLS for Barça and for the club president personally.

Though much of the article basically insinuated areas where Laporta was under fire, and emphasized his use of the post to get personal economic advantage (which I think has been relatively modest to date, but just my view), this does represent the first important suggestion of reticence about MLS-Barça coming out in a reputable press story.

well would those issues you outlined be grounds to deny Miami a franchise?

I'm sure every owner at some time has done some questionable dealings; unless it was a criminal act I'm not sure how much to make of it.

These Miami guys are parading around like it's a done deal

Guest Jeffery S.

The Adidas deal with MLS is actually a problem for Barça, and a big one. If MLS were Nike then it would be a natural fit, they could do two complementary shirts even, use them to sell each other.

As is they can't do that, and I am not sure Nike will like Adidas shirts in Barça colours contaminating their market, especially when it is the only major club with the colour combination.

I guess I thought there was some flexibility there, did not realize how exclusive the deal was. I wonder how they are going to work that out.

Miami confirmed for MLS in 2010 by Feb 15. I would hope there's an announcement about Vancouver then. Not sure where this leaves us for 2011:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_soccerblog/2009/01/barcelona-has-a-precontract-for-mls-team-in-miami-official-news-to-be-out-by-feb-15.html

Sh*tty journalism has got to be one of the greatest evils in I've encountered in this world. Barca are rumoured to have cooled their interest in an MLS franchise. It's anything but a done deal.

Archived