Harper Government Reviewing Amateur Sport Funding

Vancouversoccerman

The Harper government is going to do a study reviewing the economic impact of amateur sport, and how the government should approach funding in tough economic times.

Depending on how this goes, it could have a big impact on the dollars the CSA gets, as well as our athletes:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=aa63232a-5833-4440-808c-c580f5085c03&p=1

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Ideologically the conservatives would prefer to have government cease all such spending and leave it to sponsorships from the private sector.

Makes sense. If I was in government, I'd rather spend tens of billions of dollars on health care than spend a few million dollars here or there on promoting active living and preventing a good chunk of our population from needing health care.;)

I would be curious to see what the CSA was budgeting from the Federal Gov't going forward. I doubt they receive as much as most would expect. Remember 2006-2007 would be anomalies because of the U-20 WC.

I also doubt that much of that money could have been used for the MNT and was more likely focused on specific projects and probably on providing programming to youth and women. That also makes it politically sensitive to cut.

At the end of the day, the CSA will never change if we rely on government to change it for us. The change needs to be pushed from the bottom up. I agree with those who look at the larger more forward-thinking local clubs as the change drivers.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Ideologically the conservatives would prefer to have government cease all such spending and leave it to sponsorships from the private sector.

That's pretty simplistic, given all the funding allocated to

hockey and the Vancouver Winter Olympics. All governments are

pragmatists; but in "recessionary" times, all governments go

for infrastructure spending as their focal point.

Stadium, anyone?

With most parties there is a gap between the ideology preached during election campaigns and the harsh reality of real governing. Some parties are worse than others - how many ideological election promises has the present Harper Conservative government actually kept versus promises made during its two terms?

Fact remains Harper style conservatives are ideologically opposed to government funding of culture and sports.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

Makes sense. If I was in government, I'd rather spend tens of billions of dollars on health care than spend a few million dollars here or there on promoting active living and preventing a good chunk of our population from needing health care.;)

They would prefer not to be spending money on healthcare either - ideologically they would like nothing more than to hand the whole healthcare business over to the private for-profit sector.

Archived