OMG!

michaeltfc91

An announcement has been made that the CFL will close operations after the 2008 season. The Canadian Soccer Association took this opportunity to create a fully professional, FIFA affiliated, Canadian Soccer League. The inaugural season will take place in 2010 and will consist of a first division of 8 teams and a second division of 8 teams similar to Italian Serie A and Serie B. The seasons will run from April to November with a 28 game regular season (All teams play each other 4 times, 2 home, 2 away). There will be no playoffs similar to European leagues. Throughout the season there will be cup matches with all 16 teams participating in straight knockout 1 match format. The winner of the tournament will win the Voyageurs Cup. The winner of the First Division regular season will advance to the CONCACAF Champions League the following season. Therefore 3 trophies will be handed out each season: The Canadian Championship (first division winner), the Craig Forrest Cup (second division winner) and the Voyageurs Cup. The Craig Forrest Cup is named after Craig Forrest himself for howling at the CSA to do something about it’s current situation. The Voyageurs Cup is already in existence and is named after the greatest Canadian fan base, The Voyageurs. There will also be promotion and relegation between the 2 divisions, with the second division winner promoted to the first division and the last place team in the first division relegated to the second division. Teams that are already in existence have agreed to drop out of their respective leagues. The former CSL has folded along with the PCSL. The MLS and USL and PDL will continue to operate without any Canadian teams. The teams and stadiums are as followed:

Canadian Soccer League First Division

Team Stadium

Toronto FC (MLS) On BMO field (SS, 20,000 to 40,000, remove turf, put in grass)

Montreal Impact (USL) Que Saputo Stadium (SS, 13,000 to 30,000, grass)

St. John`s (Expansion) NFL King George V Park (SS, 10,000 to 30,000, remove turf put in grass)

Ottawa Fury (PDL) On Ottawa MLS Stadium (future: SS, 30,000, grass)

Calgary (Expansion) Alb McMahon Stadium (Remove football lines, SS, 37,000, put in grass)

Edmonton (Expansion) Alb Commonwealth Stadium (Remove football lines, SS, 61,000, grass)

Winnipeg (Expansion) Man Canad Ins Stadium (Remove football lines, SS, 29,000, put in grass)

Vancouver Whitecaps (USL) BC Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium (future: SS, 30,000, grass)

Canadian Soccer League Second Division

Team Stadium

Thunder Bay Chill (PDL) On Chapples Park (SS, 3,500 to 15,000, grass)

Hamilton (Expansion) On Ivor Wynne Stadium (Remove football lines, SS, 30,000, put in grass)

Quebec City FC (CSL) Que Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard (9,500, grass)

London City (CSL) On Cove Road Stadium (SS, 1,000 to 10,000, grass)

Moncton (Expansion) NB New Moncton Stadium (Future: 8,500, install grass instead of turf)

Regina (Expansion) Sas Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field (Remove football lines, SS, 31,000, put in grass)

Victoria United (PCSL) BC Royal Athletic Park (SS, 9,000 to 14,000, grass)

Surrey United (PCSL) BC Cloverdale Athletic Park (SS, 1,000 to 10,000, grass)

Michaeltfc91, your outline is ambitious and is 99% certain to never happen, but it still begs the question, why not? Not only are the potential owners too gaga with MLS, but so are so many Canadian fans. Our own inferiority complex will prevent this from ever happening.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Michaeltfc91, your outline is ambitious and is 99% certain to never happen, but it still begs the question, why not? Not only are the potential owners too gaga with MLS, but so are so many Canadian fans. Our own inferiority complex will prevent this from ever happening.

It is not that ambitious if you think about it. 13 of the 16 stadiums are already buily and the other 3 are to be built in the near future. Every stadium needs about a $10,000,000 upgrade and there you have 16 perfect venues with 16 perfect teams. I did this all after lunch with my fam because I thought it would be better than mourning on all the other threads. If the CFL folds this could and should happen in my opinion.

I think your ignoring certain, possible markets, of course this may not actually be helpful because I always advocated a 2 division, 40 league team but here are some other important areas that depending on how low budget it was, could probably support a team:

In BC I would think Vancouver could support a big team and a small team, as well, the kamloops/kelowna/penticton (sorry If I spelt it wrong) could probably support one combined, markets like this and st John's could be extremely important because these tiny soccer teams would for a lack of competition (except usually non NHL hockey) be big fish in their markets (finding niche's). Halifax could probably support a div 1 team and Gatineau could probably support a division 2 team to go with Ottawa. Trois Riveres, Saskatoon, Oshawa, Kitchener etc. could all proabably fit a tier 2 squad that occasionaly reaches division 1. I like your moncton idea, because of it's proximity to saint johns and fredricton makes it a great possible market. Then on top of this I think Toronto (and to a scaled down degree Montreal) should have like 4 teams, like a toronto, north york, mississagua and scarborough (not necessarily those four) like an arsenal, chelsea, west ham, fulham etc.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

I think your ignoring certain, possible markets, of course this may not actually be helpful because I always advocated a 2 division, 40 league team but here are some other important areas that depending on how low budget it was, could probably support a team:

In BC I would think Vancouver could support a big team and a small team, as well, the kamloops/kelowna/penticton (sorry If I spelt it wrong) could probably support one combined, markets like this and st John's could be extremely important because these tiny soccer teams would for a lack of competition (except usually non NHL hockey) be big fish in their markets (finding niche's). Halifax could probably support a div 1 team and Gatineau could probably support a division 2 team to go with Ottawa. Trois Riveres, Saskatoon, Oshawa, Kitchener etc. could all proabably fit a tier 2 squad that occasionaly reaches division 1. I like your moncton idea, because of it's proximity to saint johns and fredricton makes it a great possible market. Then on top of this I think Toronto (and to a scaled down degree Montreal) should have like 4 teams, like a toronto, north york, mississagua and scarborough (not necessarily those four) like an arsenal, chelsea, west ham, fulham etc.

I wasn't going into too much research to be honest.. I was just having some fun and looking at our stadiums on Wikipedia. This is a start, you guys could come up with something better I guess[:o)]

Archived