2008 CIS Thread

Sam

Montreal won at Laval 2-1 despite getting a man sent off after 35 min.

Both teams are quality and should represent Quebec in the Nationals again this year (they've been there together for 3 yrs in a row now). I would think MTL is a bit stronger than Laval this year but Laval would be able to win it all base on last year Nationals result.

In Ontario, York looks scary. They are 5-0 with 16 GS and 2 GA. I started a thread about their roster, lots of former U-20's international and TFC players in hat squad. It will be interesting to see what they can do.

Went to watch Queens again today. They played to a 0-0 draw with Nipissing. I only caught the second half, but Queens could have won today lots of chances, one very close header in injury time. Once again most of their chances come from Andy's throw-ins. But they really couldn't finish. The played 4-4-2 until the last 5 minutes and their forwards had no support from the midfielders, they really would have benefited from switching to a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 (which they switched to eventually) quicker. Anyways Queens play #2 in Canada, Carleton this Wednesday. I know gwsmith63 said he gets out to a lot of Carleton games so I'd like to know who to look out for this week.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

I want to ask a question of the BCers or anyone else in the know about how the new universities in BC will affect CIS sport. More institutions, more demand for facilities, but also more teams competing and legitimately, perhaps affecting schedules, travel.

I see UC Fraser Valley is playing in the CIS Western league, doing okay in spite of losses, but keeping it close. Thompson Rivers does not play in it, despite being a CIS member in other sports, nor does Vancouver Island U, which is not a CIS member. Let's not talk about new unis who will probably not have a serious sports program (Emily Carr), though if they want a coach I'll volunteer.

What could it mean for BC to have UBC, UVic, Vancouver Island, Trinity Western, UC Fraser Valley, Thompson Rivers all in the soccer tournament: their own division?

Guest Jeffery S.

In Canada West UBC leads undefeated, they have 7 straight shutouts in all games, 5 with Srdjan in the net, three other keepers have played for them as well.

Go against U. Vic this upcoming, who are second.

And an interesting match, a friendly vs. SFU at UBC on Wednesday eve.

Was just going to post that...

http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=251537&lid=sublink09&lpos=headlines_main

The York Lions men's soccer team had four victories taken away by Ontario University Athletics on Friday after the school said it unknowingly used an ineligible player last month.

The OUA said the participation of former Toronto FC forward Andrea Lombardo was in violation of an eligibility by-law which states that student-athletes must have an amateur status in order to be eligible for participation in OUA sports.

<snip>

OUA and Canadian Interuniversity Sports regulations permit participation within MLS as a member of the developmental roster without impact on CIS eligibility.

However, since Lombardo was a member of the senior roster, he is subject to professional participation regulations, which prohibits him from participating in CIS competition within one year of his last professional game.

A little more info.

No. 1 York self-discloses ineligible player, forfeits four games

HAMILTON, Ont. - Ontario University Athletics (OUA) announced today that the York Lions men's soccer team has disclosed they unknowingly used an ineligible player for four games.

The player's participation was in violation of Rule 2.3.10 of the OUA Unit III Eligibility By-Laws, which states that "student-athletes must have an 'amateur status' in order to be eligible for participation in OUA sports."

Andrea Lombardo was a Senior Roster member of Toronto FC of Major League Soccer (MLS) in both 2007 and 2008, with his last game played being April 19, 2008. OUA and Canadian Interuniversity Sports (CIS) regulations permit participation within MLS as a member of the Developmental Roster without impact on CIS eligibility, however, as Mr. Lombardo was a member of the Senior Roster, he is subject to professional participation regulations. This prohibits Mr. Lombardo from participating in CIS competition within one year of his last professional game.

Mr. Lombardo participated in four regular season games between Sept. 6 and Sept. 14 of this year; a 5-0 win over Guelph on Sept. 6; a 3-0 win over Waterloo on Sept. 7; a 3-1 victory over McMaster on Sept. 13; and a 1-0 win over Brock on Sept. 14. The results of these regular season games have been changed to a 1-0 York loss. All statistics from th! ese games will remain valid, except for those of the ineligible player.

The current standings of OUA West men's soccer is now as follows (Click here for OUA West Standings):

1. Western 15 pts

2. Laurier 15 pts

3. Waterloo 11 pts

4. McMaster 11 pts

5. York 10 pts

6. Brock 10 pts

7. Windsor 10 pts

8. Guelph 9 pts

"York University is committed to the principles of student athlete eligibility and is working diligently to ensure that any potential gaps in our vetting process of all student athletes are identified and corrected," commented York's Director of Sport and Recreation Jennifer Myers. "York would also like to thank members of the CIS and OUA eligibility committee's for their patience and assistance in dealing with this matter as quickly as possible"

The matter remains under review by CIS which has the option to impose further sanctions.

quote:Originally posted by SR

If you have to wait a year to get reinstated how did UBC then play Srdjan last year?

Exact same thing I was thinking. He also played lots more games for the TFC than Lombardo, and was definitely on the first team of TFC.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived