Referees for Canada's games

Guest Dave

Guest Dave

I haven't been able to find any reference to the referee selection process for the semifinal round. Given recent history, the CSA had better be on the ball on this one, as choice of referee could very well determine who goes through.

How exactly does the process work? I know our funds are limited, but surely we can outbid the likes of Jamaica and Honduras in terms of paying Jack Warner for a favourable referee selection. [}:)]

OK obviously I'm kidding around a little bit here.... but in all seriousness, I want to know what the CSA is doing to ensure that Benito Archundio and Carlos Batres do not referee any of our games.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

OK obviously I'm kidding around a little bit here.... but in all seriousness, I want to know what the CSA is doing to ensure that Benito Archundio and Carlos Batres do not referee any of our games.

While I have no idea of the inner workings of CONCACAF, I would speculate that the CSA has the least respect, the least clout, the least ability to influence these decisions of the remaining 12 federations. From the outside (CONCACAF) looking in, the CSA is a national youth soccer assocation, run by 11 fifedoms of youth soccer. I would be surprised if a letter pointing out past instances of MNT questionable officiating, or a video demonstrating past calls, would even be looked at by someone selecting officials.

I would guess that CONCACAF is looking for the most respected officials within the region, and Marco Rodriguez, Carlos Batres, and Benito Archundia are the ranking officials in that regard given their recent posting as referee for the 2007, 2006, and 2005 World Club Championship final matches. (As an FYI, our own Vergara was a linesman for the 2005 game.) Will CONCACAF only take one referee from each nation? Unlikely - I'd guess they'd take at least two from Mexico based upon the quality of officiating they'd like to see. And with Archundia's lengthy record at WC2006, I have to believe he'll be in the mix.

You can complain as loud as you want, you can edit as many Wikipedia pages as you want, but at the end of the day, the people making these decisions aren't interested in these comments. :(

quote:Originally posted by Dave

While I have no idea of the inner workings of CONCACAF, I would speculate that the CSA has the least respect, the least clout, the least ability to influence these decisions of the remaining 12 federations. From the outside (CONCACAF) looking in, the CSA is a national youth soccer assocation, run by 11 fifedoms of youth soccer. I would be surprised if a letter pointing out past instances of MNT questionable officiating, or a video demonstrating past calls, would even be looked at by someone selecting officials.

I would guess that CONCACAF is looking for the most respected officials within the region, and Marco Rodriguez, Carlos Batres, and Benito Archundia are the ranking officials in that regard given their recent posting as referee for the 2007, 2006, and 2005 World Club Championship final matches. (As an FYI, our own Vergara was a linesman for the 2005 game.) Will CONCACAF only take one referee from each nation? Unlikely - I'd guess they'd take at least two from Mexico based upon the quality of officiating they'd like to see. And with Archundia's lengthy record at WC2006, I have to believe he'll be in the mix.

You can complain as loud as you want, you can edit as many Wikipedia pages as you want, but at the end of the day, the people making these decisions aren't interested in these comments. :(

• 4 weeks later...

*Bump*

So, are we any closer to knowing which incompetent corrupt evil lying scumbag CONCACAF piece-of-sh## referee has been assigned the task of ensuring Canada's elimination from the next round?

I'd be very happy with Argentinian or Brazilian officials. But believe me, you guys don't want to have to deal with the likes of some of our CONCACAF refs.

Ha-Ha

I just did a Yahoo search for the words "Archundia" and "cheat" and got 465 references! :-)

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=archundia+cheat&ei=UTF-8&y=Search&rd=r1&meta=vc%3Dca&fr=yfp-t-501&fp_ip=CA&xargs=0&pstart=1&b=1

Other fun searches:

"Archundia" and "corrupt"

"Archundia" and "bribe"

"Archundia" and "bastard"

"Archundia" and "scum"

and my all-time personal favourite:

"Archundia" and "kerry fraser"

('[:P]')

Archundia only real bad game was the game against Honduras in 2004. That was crazy, even suspect. Against the USA, it was the linesman who made the call, Archundia isn't to blame for it (all referees on this planet would've blown the whistle in that situation after their assistant raised his flag).

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

We could theoretically get an American ref this round, right? Would that be a good thing?...

An american crew cancelled a legit goal for offside in Honduras (would've been 2-0 for us) last time around...

Well, it was an American ref who robbed us of our second win against Honduras during the last WCQ cycle. The two wins that were stolen from us by biased officiating were the difference between going to the Hex and being eliminated. Does anyone remember which US ref was responsible for that atrocity?

However, all things being equal, if I had my choice between a US official and a Central American official, I suppose I would take the American. However the guy I'd really want is Jamaica's Peter Prendergast (one of the few non-corrupt CONCACAF refs) however with Jamaica in this round that's not possible.

This got me thinking.... I'd actually prefer to take my chances with Prendergast reffing our game vs Jamaica, than have someone like Batres butchering the job.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

hmmm, I think it was with canadian linesman Vegara about an offside call??? Rafa Benitez said something to the effect that bad call like that would've never happened in Europe....the call turned out to be the correct one.

Bring in European Refs.

Concacaf referees consistently call dives as fouls. That's where I see us getting the most screwed.

Moreso, I find Concacaf refs susceptible to external influences. I am just basing that on the conditions and environment that I see in in this region versus say Europe where the exposure is much larger. Specifically, many concacaf refs are not scruntinized enough here or under the microscope as much a Europe. they work far fewer games and are seldom seen by anyone outside their own country. Whereas in Europe, ref XYZ who gets called, say, to ref a WCQ, he will be already familar to to the millions who had watch Champions league. As result the european understand the importance of his reputation and will referee accordingly.

Whereas in concacaf, why should the ref even care about his reputation. Do we even know if Ref ABC from Honduras is even the best ref in Honduras ? How much do they earn from reffing in concacaf? lack of media scrutiny hurts Concacaf when it comes to ensuring fair officiating.

There was also controversy with Archundia in the World Club Championship final in 2005 between Sao Paulo and Liverpool but that's not mentioned on the Wiki page.

Not sure, but that controversy was likely two offside calls made during the match. I believe Vergara was on the flag for both calls (one for sure).

Archived