TFC vs. Pachuca (R)

Gian-Luca

Game ended in a 1-1 draw, both goals scored in the second half, Julius James with a header on a corner with the tying goal for TFC. In order to decide the "Carlsberg Cup" they decided to have a PK shoot-out which Pachuca won 4-3 after 6 kicks. Ricketts, Robert and Smith scored in the shoot-out, while Brennan, Cunningham (of course!) and Harmse missed. Harmse had the last PK which he struck off the underside of the crossbar, it bounced on the line but stayed out of the net. Brennan missed to the same side of the net he missed on against Martinique in the 2002 Gold Cup, so if we need any PK takers in qualifying I'd rather us go with another Canuck. The worst PK of the bunch was Cunningham who just shot poorly for an easy save for the keeper. Edwards saved two penalties for TFC (having come on at half-time).

TFC fielded a second-string line-up that for once had a Canadian majority - Sutton started in goal, Hemming at RB, Attakora-Gyan at CB, Jim Brennan at LB with Harmse & Rosenlund in central midfield. The young more than held their own against Pachuca, Harmse had his best game in a TFC uniform and made us not miss Carl Robinson in the slightest. Very late in the game Rosenlund sent an excellent through ball to a streaking Tyler Hemming on the wing, who then wipped in a perfect cross to Cunningham all alone in front of the net, and true to his form, he missed the net completely with the shot. It was amazing to me that he was let anywhere near the penalty spot for the shoot-out, and I'm surprised they didn't let Hemming take one after watching him finish clinically on one in the Olympic team third place match.

In any event, it was nice to see a lot of Canadian players on the field for TFC for a change, and even better, they all acquitted themselves quite well against tougher competition than TFC usually faces in the MLS.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Game ended in a 1-1 draw, both goals scored in the second half, Julius James with a header on a corner with the tying goal for TFC. In order to decide the "Carlsberg Cup" they decided to have a PK shoot-out which Pachuca won 4-3 after 6 kicks. Ricketts, Robert and Smith scored in the shoot-out, while Brennan, Cunningham (of course!) and Harmse missed. Harmse had the last PK which he struck off the underside of the crossbar, it bounced on the line but stayed out of the net. Brennan missed to the same side of the net he missed on against Martinique in the 2002 Gold Cup, so if we need any PK takers in qualifying I'd rather us go with another Canuck. The worst PK of the bunch was Cunningham who just shot poorly for an easy save for the keeper. Edwards saved two penalties for TFC (having come on at half-time).

TFC fielded a second-string line-up that for once had a Canadian majority - Sutton started in goal, Hemming at RB, Attakora-Gyan at CB, Jim Brennan at LB with Harmse & Rosenlund in central midfield. The young more than held their own against Pachuca, Harmse had his best game in a TFC uniform and made us not miss Carl Robinson in the slightest. Very late in the game Rosenlund sent an excellent through ball to a streaking Tyler Hemming on the wing, who then wipped in a perfect cross to Cunningham all alone in front of the net, and true to his form, he missed the net completely with the shot. It was amazing to me that he was let anywhere near the penalty spot for the shoot-out, and I'm surprised they didn't let Hemming take one after watching him finish clinically on one in the Olympic team third place match.

In any event, it was nice to see a lot of Canadian players on the field for TFC for a change, and even better, they all acquitted themselves quite well against tougher competition than TFC usually faces in the MLS.

A good game from Robert with a bit more effort than we're used to seeing. He just missed on a very nice free kick from about 20 yards out and then later in the half spotted the keeper off his line and let fly from midfield. The keeper was able to get back and tip it over the bar.

Ya, he's frustrating as hell sometimes but he can do some very nice things out there.

His corner on James' goal was outstanding!

Credit for Edwards on his two penalty saves. The Pachuca keeper made only one.

Tough luck for Harmse. He really did play a good game. G-L, you mentioned not missing Robinson. For me, it was not missing Edu!

db

It was a pretty good game, considering we played a technically competent experienced championship team. Rosenlund seemed a little out of his depth, but I think he might play better on the wing. Cunningham as per usual missed a tap in to the far post by a hair - created by a wonderful cross from Hemming.

As far as the penalties go, Jimmy booted his into orbit, and I swear Harmse's kick went in after deflecting off the crossbar: it hits the bar, deflects down ever-so-slightly past the goal line and immediately bounces vigorously out of the net. I'm in section 109 and I saw it immediately, quite furious the linesman missed it (he could've been blocked by the keeper himself, since the official was on the west-side and the shot occurred on the other side of the keeper - why don't both linesmen sit on the line?)

Anyway, like I said, a good performance against a winning team.

Very late in the game Rosenlund sent an excellent through ball to a streaking Tyler Hemming on the wing, who then wipped in a perfect cross to Cunningham all alone in front of the net, and true to his form, he missed the net completely with the shot.

The cross was "near perfect" as my vantage point from the front of 113 allowed me to see that it was ever-so-slightly out of Cunningham's reach.

Jeff was in full stride and stretched as far as he could to get a foot on it. If the cross was six inches back, he would have had a proper shot on goal.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The cross was "near perfect" as my vantage point from the front of 113 allowed me to see that it was ever-so-slightly out of Cunningham's reach.

Jeff was in full stride and stretched as far as he could to get a foot on it.

Well I was in 116 for this game & the play happened right in front of me, it looked very much to me like Cunningham did, as you say, get a foot to the ball. I just don't think he timed it properly.

Well I was in 116 for this game & the play happened right in front of me, it looked very much to me like Cunningham did, as you say, get a foot to the ball. I just don't think he timed it properly.

He got a foot on it, but I meant it the pass was *slightly* more accurate, he would have gotten a proper shot away rather than a glancing deflection.

From 113 the ball was coming right towards us.

Either way, it was a positive play from Hemming, which would have been even more positive if Cunningham was slightly taller.

Harmse had his best game in a TFC uniform and made us not miss Carl Robinson in the slightest.

Good to hear that he had a strong performance. I'm hoping to see him continue to be more involved and prominent in TFC's passing buildup play.

Here's an amateur video of the PK shoot-out, where it looks distinctly like Harmse's shot was in:

Mind you from that angle Brennan's miss is worse than I remember it, it looked closer from behind the goal. Of course, while I was disappointed he missed, part of me was pleased that the one of the incosiderate guys who decided to stand in the aisle in front of me and block my view of the pk shoot-out even when I was standing (in a spot where security usually don't allow the carlsberg staff to stand for two seconds to sell beer) got hit right in the head by the ball on that Brennan miss. Served him right!

Here's an amateur video of the PK shoot-out, where it looks distinctly like Harmse's shot was in:

It's so bloody frustrating. That's two games in a row where blatant mistakes by officials have effected the outcome of matches.

Archived