Copa Libertadores : LDU Quito vs Fluminense (R)

nolando

And Ecuador finally has a champion of South America in Liga. Don't know how excited FIFA or the rest of the world will be now that there is a virtual no-name representing S.A. at the next World Club Championships, but Im over the moon as this was the team that I followed during my time in Ecuador, and they are a strong and deserving side with a huge and very loyal fan base. The Ecuadoreans took a 4-2 lead into Maracana Stadium and lost the second leg 3-1, before disposing of the Brasilians 3-1 in penalties.

Virtually no news whatsoever on the net about this even though the game must have finished a few hours ago - strange?

in spanish: http://conmebol.com/articulos_ver.jsp?id=62310&slangab=S

video hilights:

full penalties here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=939q8HgH3rw

This has been a particularly strange year in the Copa Libertadores. I can't speak for the rest of Latin America, but as a follower of the Brazilian leagues, Flumenense was also not the Brazilian team I expected to reach the final. Flu currently is in last place in Serie A domestically. While I'm sure their run in the Copa had something to do with it, the club has been out of form lately.

On the other hand, LDU seemed to stickhandle through the tournament carefully, making it through each round by the skin of its collective teeth.

I love the Copa Libertadores, and as far as confederation-wide club competitions go, it's probably the second largest in the world. Well behing the Euro champions league, though. Actually, maybe 3rd behind the UEFA cup. ..

I'll be cheering for LDU to beat Man Utd!

quote:Originally posted by nolando

And as if to prove my point about lack of press, here is the Guardian's article on the game, published two days (well, more like a day and a half) after it ended. Imagine if this happened with the Champion's League Final.

Kinda unfortunate, but not surprising -- we do live in a world of sheep.

I'm not going to go as far to say the Copa Libertadores is better than the UEFA CL, but the 2008</u> Copa Lib. was far better than the 2007/8</u> UEFA CL (especially the early knockout rounds which produced some remarkable contests, most notably nine-men San Lorenzo coming back from 2 goals down to beat the Argentine champions, River Plate, away [:0]).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived