Black future for Hirschfeld in Romania

Melpomenus

I take advantage of the fact that I was born in Romania to tell you what I found today in a sport newspaper from that country.

Apparently Hirschfeld has some back problems and refuses to train with his teammates. The coach seems to be fed up with the situation (the team is preparing for the UEFA Champions League) and is about to transferlist him. He's saying that the team needs competition for eash position, and while the other two keepers work hard, Hirschfeld trains two days while he rest for other two days. The article is called "Let him go!" and mentions Hirschfeld's salary: 270.000 euros per year, and the fact the CFR Cluj paid 1,2 milions for him, but the keeper only played 5 games and has 8 goals scoared against.

http://gsp.ro/stire/sa-plece-84417.html

This situation was an inevitability. He just hasn't been the same since the last couple games of the Champions League. He needs to get healthy, that's for sure, but at this point it looks like he will have to take a step back before he can go forward. He'll be turning 30 this year and even though goalkeepers play to about the age of 40, I don't know if he can stay with a top level club.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The sooner he leaves, the better.

Exactly, he can still use those Champions League performances to help him getting into a decent club.

If he doesn't find a club before the start of the european season, I don't expect to see him in the NT picture for the first WCQ games even if he's healthy.

It's no secret that I don't rate him that much but I still think he's someone I would like to see competing for a starting spot with our MNT. More competiton, the better for us.

yeah, that was such a dumb move to go to romania....the iron was hot last january after his good run with rosenborg....that was the stepping stone he needed to move to a starting role in a good league (even BL2)...it seems that opportunity has been missed now.

how many times has lars taken one step forward and two back?...he worked his way up dilligently and 5 games may have set him back years...hopefully someone sees his potential if given a chance before his time runs out.

back to tromso...they liked him there.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

yeah, that was such a dumb move to go to romania....the iron was hot last january after his good run with rosenborg....that was the stepping stone he needed to move to a starting role in a good league (even BL2)...it seems that opportunity has been missed now.

how many times has lars taken one step forward and two back?...he worked his way up dilligently and 5 games may have set him back years...hopefully someone sees his potential if given a chance before his time runs out.

back to tromso...they liked him there.

The problem doesn't seem like it's Romania here, it's the situation (that could've happenned anywhere in Europe).

There is some corruption in Romanian soccer, but where you can find it clean these days? (maybe in some Scandinavian leagues...)

I have to tell you that back in 2002 or so, the last game I watched live in a stadium before leaving Romania, was a 3rd Division one, involving CFR Cluj and another small club from the town I was living in. That year they got promoted to the 2nd Division, and now they became champions. And if there is a clean place to play soccer in Romania, that is CFR Cluj.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

Regarding taking a step backwards...would the MLS be a step backwards?

Romania wasn't a step back it was a lateral move or maybe a slighthy better league than Norway. It's the situation he's in that he's bad for his career so I say MLS would be a better place than being with Cluj if his status doesn't improve with the coach.

Interview with the executiv manager of CFR Cluj, June 30:

(...)

Q: Will Hirschfeld continue with CFR? The coach was not very happy about him during some training sessions...

A: He'll surely stay with CFR. There's nothing wrong with him. We followed him during the training sessions, he jumps from post to post (laughs...)*, he's at ease. We never thought to transferlist him, we talked to him and he's decided to fight for a place in the squad. I like him a lot, he's ambitious.

(...)

* Few days before, the coach compared Hirschfeld to the other two keepers, saying that they jump from post to post, while the Canadian keeper refuses to train properly.

http://www.onlinesport.ro/stiri/fotbal/fotbal-intern/liga-1/cfr-cluj/35002/zamfir-kone-poate-deveni-cel-mai-bun-varf-din-liga-i.htm

Archived