quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

Maybe I've just missed it, but has there been any publicity about the Voyageurs Cup being used on official websites? Wouldn't hurt to mention that the teams are vieing for this particular trophy. Rather than compromising the integrity of the tournament, I feel that it legitimizes it and gives it historical significance. Much as the Stanley Cup preceded the NHL, so too does the Voyageurs Cup date back to pre-CC days.

It's been in many newspapers in Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

Isn't the last game pretty well guaranteed to be the decider now? No reason not to have the trophy on display and presented to the winner. Unless Vancouver take 6 points from Toronto, winning by 2+ goals both games, and set up a 3-way tie (providing toronto beats montreal) -- which I think we can agree is unlikely -- TFC-Impact will be "the final", whether their points totals are 9 and 6, 7 and 6, 6 and 6, 5 and 6, or 4 and 6.

Maybe I've just missed it, but has there been any publicity about the Voyageurs Cup being used on official websites? Wouldn't hurt to mention that the teams are vieing for this particular trophy. Rather than compromising the integrity of the tournament, I feel that it legitimizes it and gives it historical significance. Much as the Stanley Cup preceded the NHL, so too does the Voyageurs Cup date back to pre-CC days.

In years past there was, but I haven't seen anything this year. I think the CSA is really pushing the new name as it is the inaugural set-up with the sponsors.

The legitimacy and history is why they wanted the Voyageurs Cup.

I certainly hope there is an opportunity for the champion club to hoist the cup at the last match, although it would be awkward if it were Vancouver (possible anymore?) since they wouldn't be playing that day. I agree that having the cup adorned with ribbons would be superb. For the tournament itself, having a cup hoisting in front of both a live crowd and the tv audience would just add that much more to the competition in my eyes.

What is the tie-breaker if teams have equal points?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I certainly hope there is an opportunity for the champion club to hoist the cup at the last match, although it would be awkward if it were Vancouver (possible anymore?) since they wouldn't be playing that day. I agree that having the cup adorned with ribbons would be superb. For the tournament itself, having a cup hoisting in front of both a live crowd and the tv audience would just add that much more to the competition in my eyes.

What is the tie-breaker if teams have equal points?

The ribbons works if you do like with the Eurocup or Champions league, pick two colours for each team and have them on hand. If one of the teams playing wins it on the last day, put on the ribbons and deliver the trophy after the game (means organizing and risking not doing the ceremony, but that happens in a lot of sports, like auto racing), if it is Vancouver put on the ribbons and wait for the ceremony in Ottawa.

Vancouver and Montreal share the same colours (blue and white), even though the Impact has played in black.

Put red-white-blue ribbons on the trophy and take off either red or blue, depending on the winner. If it's either TFC or IMFC, have a presentation.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Put red-white-blue ribbons on the trophy and take off either red or blue, depending on the winner. If it's either TFC or IMFC, have a presentation.

Great Idea.

I have to say, I don't like trophies with pedestals. Especially this sport, it's just out of place and even more so 30 years down the road.

I have some photos of the trophy that were taken by a pro photographer when it was first made. I'm currently at a conference but I will dig them out and post them when I'm back (early next week).

I may also have some photos from the inaugural presentation of the trophy in 2002... I'll do my best to find those too.

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

I have some photos of the trophy that were taken by a pro photographer when it was first made. I'm currently at a conference but I will dig them out and post them when I'm back (early next week).

Don't bother, a selection ("best") of those are already posted here and the people in this thread know about them. I have the rest of them as well, but I think the ones on that page (the first one in particular) are good enough.

Regarding Wikipedia: the photo has been taken down at least twice by Wikipedia's ImageRemovalBot. themodelcitizen explained the issue earlier in this thread.

themodelcitizen, if you're reading this: the photos were taken for the Voyageurs, so you can claim ownership and get the ImageRemovalBot off your back.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Sorry I ever said I don't like the base.

[B)]

What is not to like? The silver maple leafs look great.

One per year for the winning team's name to be carved into it so 21 on the top and 28 for each layer below it. That's 5 decades before anyone has to mess with it.

If you don't like larger bases then just get a GOLD maple leaf with Montreal Impact 2002-2007(8?) and that will save some space :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived