De Vos likely retiring

CanadianSoccerFan

What part of 'in some capacity' don't you understand? I never said they should be made CEO. I said that they should be encouraged to get involved with the CSA. I said that their experience as national team players gives them a unique insight into how the CSA is doing at managing the game. The fact that they both have some understanding of economics can only help them, if they so choose to get involved.

No worries. Apology accepted. I still think that the CSA could win back some credibility by bringing aboard people like Jason DeVos. At the head of the organisation needs to be an experienced executive who can boss all aspects of the operation, but there need to be football people in significant positions throughout the organisation.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Good for both of them for preparing themselves for second careers, very wise, but it takes more than a fresh university degree to run a major business operation. Excellent if they are willing and able to get involved in some capacity, they likely would have much to contribute but I would prefer an executive with proven abilities and experience running a multimillion dollar venture to fill any CEO position at the CSA, not some greenhorn straight from the playing field and nightschool.

I think that SthMelbRed has hit upon something though. Have you noticed who gets to represent the players at the CSA AGM? Usually kids or young pros with no real experience operating in that kind of environment. I attended a CSA AGM once and both the player reps had that 'deer in the headlights' look. Make's you wonder who gets to choose the player's reps? These reps don't weild any real voting power (they might get one each or something) but if someone like de Vos (once he moves back) or perhaps even a former player like John Catliff (a Harvard grad and businessman) took on that role they might be able to at least use the AGM as a chance to effectively advocate on NT player issues. A well-known respected (and well-spoken) former international might also be able to convince delegates with voting power (provincial associations) to run the association in a more professional manner... dare to dream!

Good for both of them for preparing themselves for second careers, very wise, but it takes more than a fresh university degree to run a major business operation. Excellent if they are willing and able to get involved in some capacity, they likely would have much to contribute but I would prefer an executive with proven abilities and experience running a multimillion dollar venture to fill any CEO position at the CSA, not some greenhorn straight from the playing field and nightschool.

The CSA isn't a major business operations. I've audited many NPOs with similar revenues and rarely is there more than one person in the management team presenting any official business credentials (ie. MBA, CA, etc.). Moreover, football more than any other sport, has a long history of men taking and succeeding at jobs for which they are vastly "under-qualified." Klinsmann jumps to mind as a recent example. While I agree that neither De Vos nor Gervais should be immediate top choice for CEO, I wouldn't rule them out so quickly. Though I think Marty has hit the nail on the head in terms of Catliff being a top candidate who I would have no problem with leading the Association.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

The CSA isn't a major business operations. I've audited many NPOs with similar revenues and rarely is there more than one person in the management team presenting any official business credentials (ie. MBA, CA, etc.). Moreover, football more than any other sport, has a long history of men taking and succeeding at jobs for which they are vastly "under-qualified." Klinsmann jumps to mind as a recent example. While I agree that neither De Vos nor Gervais should be immediate top choice for CEO, I wouldn't rule them out so quickly. Though I think Marty has hit the nail on the head in terms of Catliff being a top candidate who I would have no problem with leading the Association.

All I said about the CSA was that it is a multimillion dollar enterprise - which it is - not some trivial storefront operation. Indeed we would all like to see the budget tripled or better through sponsorships and gate revenues so we can properly finance our international teams. You want the same old same old perpetuated at the CSA then go with inexperience again and hire some young ex-pro ballplayer fresh from the locker room with no real world executive management experience. An economics degree or even an MBA does not guarantee a competent CEO who is a good fit for the job. The majority of folks who have been complaining about the CSA have been saying we need a competent CEO to turn the organisation around.

All I said about the CSA was that it is a multimillion dollar enterprise - which it is - not some trivial storefront operation. Indeed we would all like to see the budget tripled or better through sponsorships and gate revenues so we can properly finance our international teams. You want the same old same old perpetuated at the CSA then go with inexperience again and hire some young ex-pro ballplayer fresh from the locker room with no real world executive management experience. An economics degree or even an MBA does not guarantee a competent CEO who is a good fit for the job. The majority of folks who have been complaining about the CSA have been saying we need a competent CEO to turn the organisation around.

Ten million in revenue is actually right in the zone for a new MBA grad looking to run their first organization I would say. I'm not disagreeing that experience is important, but you need to define what kind of experience. Personally, I would always be very interested in talking to anyone (ie. De Vos) who has competed for many years at a top level of athletics. This requires an impressive skill set and intangibles that may be lacking in the average MBA type -regardless of their experience level. Because, let's face it, it's a lot easier to hide the odd off day in the office than it is on the pitch.

I also think you're exaggerating the complexity of the CSA. What do they do? They collect membership fees and put on events. It's not that hard to understand. I don't claim it would be an easy job by any means, but for the right candidate it could be considered "entry level" given the that the organization requires very specific action at the moment which can be undertaken without necessarily worrying too much about day-to-day operations.

I think the two issues on which most people agree is that governance reform is required and that sponsorship revenue must be dramatically increased. Rich, you're probably right that more experience is better given this challenge, which is why a guy like Catliff would be an interesting choice. But I don't understand your distain for retired footballers, as if this choice of a first profession is somehow a stain on their resume? And how you equate this with status-quo is beyond me? When was a former Canadian International last in charge of the CSA?

I can assure you that as a former CEO of many years and business owner I would most certainly not take any fresh MBA grad with no realworld management experience to speak of and appoint him as CEO of an organisation such as the CSA, or pretty much any operation for that matter. I would put him/her in a lesser position and evaluate performance, character and a whole lot of other factors before giving him/her the top job. But you're all welcome to disagree with me of course.

The CSA task has some unique challenges and selection of somebody who can meet those challenges and move the game of soccer forward in this country must be very carefully done or we will end up in a worse situation even than we are now.

Though I think Marty has hit the nail on the head in terms of Catliff being a top candidate who I would have no problem with leading the Association.

Whoa! Lets walk before we run!... and if Catliff is reading this he is probably already thinking about running...away. :)

I would assume if Catliff was inclined to be involved in soccer politics we would have heard of him working with a youth club or District in BC (perhaps he is??). I just think an ex-player would be a better athlete representative at the CSA AGM than someone who is still playing and therefore doesn't really have the time to be an advocate. Maybe if someone like him (Andrea Neil, if she doesn't join the CSA Coaching staff, would also be a good one) can be convinced to attend one meeting on behalf of the athletes they might get a taste for advocating the changes that are necessary within the system.

There are probably rules disallowing retired players from taking up that position anyway. The players should be able to vote on who they would like to represent them just like everyone else though.

quote:Originally posted by Martyr

Whoa! Lets walk before we run!... and if Catliff is reading this he is probably already thinking about running...away. :)

I would assume if Catliff was inclined to be involved in soccer politics we would have heard of him working with a youth club or District in BC (perhaps he is??). I just think an ex-player would be a better athlete representative at the CSA AGM than someone who is still playing and therefore doesn't really have the time to be an advocate. Maybe if someone like him (Andrea Neil, if she doesn't join the CSA Coaching staff, would also be a good one) can be convinced to attend one meeting on behalf of the athletes they might get a taste for advocating the changes that are necessary within the system.

There are probably rules disallowing retired players from taking up that position anyway. The players should be able to vote on who they would like to represent them just like everyone else though.

Catliff was vice president of sales with Helly Hansen and, according to wiki, is currently involved at Aritzia. I'd say he's vastly over qualified to be a player rep. That would be an interesting job for De Vos, though I don't think he's well liked enough to represent the membership. Gervais would probably be a better choice. Or someone like Martin Nash.

Let's face it, Gwyn Morgan isn't going to be the next CEO of the CSA. In order to find a quality person willing to stay the course through a stormy reformation, we need a person who already has a stake in the sport in Canada, who is recognizable to the public, and who has shown some commitment and integrity toward the nation.

I'm not saying Nykamp shouldn't have sued, but he might have attempted to pursue a settlement that was less financially punative to the organization as whole in a favour of trying to roll a few heads for those who were responsible in blocking his appointment. A separate issue I suppose, but nothing about Nykamp's resume gives me any reason to think Catliff is under qualified. Though I agree he might not be interested -hopefully not due to the content of a Voyageurs thread though, as you seem to suggest.

Though I agree he might not be interested -hopefully not due to the content of a Voyageurs thread though, as you seem to suggest.

I just meant that he might not be interested in being 'volunteered' to fix the CSA. It was just an attempt at being light-hearted...

It would be interesting to know what the thoughts of our ex-Nats are on the CSA. For instance, I wonder if they would have vastly different points of view or whether they would all have the same opinions. All of the current and ex-players that have spoken out seem to all say the same things.

Archived