Australia Brasil....

Trillium

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Any comments on Australias performance today ?... sure seems like they have a emerging star in Devana... do we have players in the pipe who can move fast and take on defenders ?

De Vanna was the best of the Australians I thought. All she needs is a little bit of space and a nice leading ball and she is away. Not that tall, but what pace. Australians were badly outplayed in the 1st half but bounced back in the 2nd for a strong gutsy effort. The game was decided by the superior brazilian offensive players. I wasn't overly impressed by the ref and the Brazillians got a gift penalty shot goal on a weak call. As much fun as it is to watch the Brazilians I find it hard to warm up to them. They are not the classiest team around. If they lose in the semi's to the US on a controversial call I could well imagine seeing them pull a Chile and take a swing at a cop or 2 on their way out of the building.

I thought that the penalty was close enough to the edge of the area that it should have been spotted outside. Still the way the Brazilians shoot they might have put it in anyway. McLeod might have stopped the first goal depending on how close to her line she was standing. Brazil dramatized every foul, but you have to expect that. It is just the style in S. America. They were the better team and I bet the Americans wish they could change places with the Germans and play Norway instead. You do have to hand it to Australia. Down two and without their capitan early in the first half. They fought back and really had a chance to win, which is all you can ask for.

All four group winners advanced which will set up some good semi-final matches. I'll have to go in late both days.

quote:

As much fun as it is to watch the Brazilians I find it hard to warm up to them. They are not the classiest team around. If they lose in the semi's to the US on a controversial call I could well imagine seeing them pull a Chile and take a swing at a cop or 2 on their way out of the building.

Oh I hear ya. I remember a lot of them Marta, Cristiane and Daniela from 2002 in Edmonton. I remember their assistant getting tossed behind the net during the game, Sinclair getting clocked after taking her penalty, and whining and diving like I hadn't seen in decades of the women's soccer. It was a real black mark on the tournament. You're right, it's all the beautiful game when they're winning, but watch how quickly all that changes when they US is leading and they're running out of time.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

I thought that the penalty was close enough to the edge of the area that it should have been spotted outside. Still the way the Brazilians shoot they might have put it in anyway.

Might have is right, but there is a world of difference between a penalty kick (with anyone taking it let alone Marta) and a 19 yarder (off center) with a wall and the whole team back there. If nothing else the least a ref ought to do is make sure they are 100% sure before awarding a (practically) certain goal. Don't guess ref. That's all I ask.

Referees are human and make mistakes. Just as players don't have perfect games neither do refs. They have only a moment to make a decision and they can only see it from one view point. Refs will admit to mistakes when confronted with evidents by viewing a film of the play. Unfortunately the game will have already been decieded. Unless they are crooked and I hope very few are, poor calls are like a bad bounce or a wet field. You just have to put up with it and do the best you can.

Refereeing a game involves a lot of subjective judgement calls and decisionmaking. How many laws include the words 'in the opinion of the referee'? It is inevitable that referees will make decisions that prove controversial and occasionally make outright mistakes but it's all part of the game just like a bad or lucky bounce or a slip on a wet field as mentioned above. Accept the result after the final whistle and look forward to the next game.

Vic said: "I remember a lot of them Marta, Cristiane and Daniela from 2002 in Edmonton."

I vividly remember Kara Lang preparing to take her penalty shot. A very young and naive Kara Lang, or so I thought at the time.

The Brazilian keeper was shameless and absurdly came off her line to knock the ball away from the penalty spot. Spitting obscenities and trash talk the entire time, I'm sure.

Kara Lang, with that now familiar look of calm determination, repositioned the ball on the spot, backed up a few steps, strode up and purposefully stroked it into the back of the net. No fuss.

Then she proudly returned to her team-mates, long ponytail bouncing merrily behind her.

Class versus No-Class.

Archived