Pellerud suspended at WC China

Richard

Canadian soccer coach suspended for World Cup opener

Head coach Even Pellerud has been suspended from Canada's first game against Norway at the women's World Cup of soccer which begins next week in China.

FIFA, soccer's world governing body, announced the suspension Monday. The punishment stems from Pellerud's ejection from the Gold Cup final against the United States last November in Carson City, Calif. The Gold Cup was a qualifying tournament for the World Cup.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2007/09/03/pellerud-suspension.html

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Canadian soccer coach suspended for World Cup opener

Head coach Even Pellerud has been suspended from Canada's first game against Norway at the women's World Cup of soccer which begins next week in China.

FIFA, soccer's world governing body, announced the suspension Monday. The punishment stems from Pellerud's ejection from the Gold Cup final against the United States last November in Carson City, Calif. The Gold Cup was a qualifying tournament for the World Cup.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2007/09/03/pellerud-suspension.html

Precious! Pellerud suspended, that makes my day, even if it is just for one game. Fifa listens!

The Gold Cup seems so long ago now. As leekoo posted the coach must have known all along. So what could be a reason to delay such an announcement if he in fact knew or even say anything at all. It makes Fifa look a bit tardy in their decisions and listening. Was the sanction ever appealed?

The Canada Press news release makes it look as if it just happened.

I'm wondering if it has to do w/ the Gold Cup & WC being connected whereas the Gold Cup is not connected to the Pan Am Games hence the long time no sit out. Otherwise it does make FIFA look very late in timing.

Any players in the Gold Cup going to the WC must have know it was coming.

Been so long ago.........but I'm sure the WNT is going to use it to fire up their performance as it's against Even's old team.

Suspensions for the WWC were announced on site by FIFA just today. This is not unusual. I doubt Pellerud or any of the CSA delegation were surprised and were probably expecting it. The only ones taken by surprise would appear to be the media but we know they have short memories and a predeliction for sensational headlines :-)

I don't know. It does seem rather late in the day doesn't it? It takes FIFA 10 months to distribute punishment?

Can't imagine Sven getting punished by FIFA for some hissy-fit nearly a year after the fact. He'd have know his punishment within weeks.

Don't know but I'd guess this sentence was know to those who needed to long ago.

Interesting bit on the TV the other day (The Score I think) where they were saying Canada may be hard pressed to get out of their group but could go deep into the tourny should they advance. Seemed fair judgement from where I sit.

I am quite sure that Pellerud and the CSA were well aware immediately after the fact that he was suspended for the first game in China or the next FIFA sanctioned competition in which he and his team particiapted. It is not the sort of thing that was likely to be raised by Pellerud or the CSA in public discussion between then and now, why would it be if not raised by the media? Only the press and some people here were taken by surprise when FIFA reminded folks about the suspensions in effect on Monday.

quote:

I'm sure we all remember the call so no surprise this was coming. Good for him to stand up for the team on a lousy call in the final seconds.

If you are implying that officials representing this country should not follow the process for protest, or that you do not stand up for your team by being on the sideline, I beg to differ.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

If you are implying that officials representing this country should not follow the process for protest, or that you do not stand up for your team by being on the sideline, I beg to differ.

I'm implying that Even did what he should have done & did which was let the Ref'ing crew know what he thought of the call in the dying seconds of the game. I totally support his & the teams disatification of the call.

Rich, refereeing soccer is a Hell of a lot of judgement and interpretation, and as coaches, we're dissatisfied in half the calls a referee makes or doesn't make. But just like a player on the field who snaps at a referee and puts themself before their team and gets a red, it's even more so for a coach. There is nothing that can change, and nothing that cannot be said better and with more force and intent in due process. No one is bigger than the game.

You put a lot of time and energy into supporting the program, and have created a lot of positive things with good results. But this time you get a red card. Cheering blindly is sometimes not only not helping, it's dangerous. Part of really supporting a program means criticizing when it's needed.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

The Gold Cup seems so long ago now. As leekoo posted the coach must have known all along. So what could be a reason to delay such an announcement if he in fact knew or even say anything at all. It makes Fifa look a bit tardy in their decisions and listening. Was the sanction ever appealed?

The Canada Press news release makes it look as if it just happened.

canada played 11 games since the gold cup ...

the first one, on may 3, 2007 (Canada 1, China 3) ...

why NOW ...

is there some rule here we don't know about ...

is the CSA being stooopid again ...

see:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WWC/FWWC_results.asp?display=all⊂=2

Why is everyone making such a big deal about this?

The Gold Cup is an official FIFA sanctioned event. The next official tournament Canada is playing in since then is the World Cup.

The only strange thing is how long it took FIFA to announce the suspension. But seeing as how Pellerud did receive a red card, the suspension was academic.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

What is funny is that very few Voyageurs respond to any of the WNT news unless it is negative.

There is a German word for that, my friends - Schadenfreude.

There isn't much talk on gobigred.ca either.

Plus, is there much positive to talk about anyway?

Take a look at the men's forum. The Linford resignation has caused the Men's forum to have a tremendous increase in posts, pretty much 95% of them on negative issues. That's just the nature of the beast.

Seems Pellerud was surprised after all, or at least is feigning surprise...

Pellerud caught off guard

FIFA suspends women's coach

By JIM MORRIS

(CP) - Canadian head coach Even Pellerud says he was surprised to learn he has been suspended from Canada's first game against Norway at the women's World Cup of soccer, which begins next week in China.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2007/09/03/4467276-cp.html

Well that was interesting. So contrary to some assumptions of who should have known, Pellerud says he didn't know, that he has not been officially notified nor does he know the protocol for appeal. All funny in a sense. And just to clarify the rules, Pellerud could not have been shown a red card. Cards are only for players. Team officials are simply ejected if they become a nuisance. Fifa sanctions could be a monetary fine, suspension or a combination of both. He is right in one thing, it should not affect the team's performance or even they may play better without him. What is also funny is that our own association (CSA) did not fine him, or if they did, it was kept quiet.

Archived