Scouting Program

The Ref

The B.C. Soccerweb reports that Kelowna resident Chantal McFetridge, a 16 year old girl, will be suiting up for Switzerland. I must wonder if this lady is good enough for the Swiss, how come she is not good enough for Canada. Is this another example of our scounting, if any, failing to identify good prospects. Is this the responsibility of the head of the women's program, namely Pellerud?

This is the first time I have heard of the Swiss in terms of the women's game. In other words, I don't think their program is anywhere near ours. My thoughts are that she has checked her roots and deemed her chances are much better there than here.

When you say "suiting up for Switzerland" what team do you mean, under 17, under 20 or their national team? Since the Swiss women are ranked 31st between Serbia and Rep of Ireland there is a good chance that Ms. McFetridge would not be good enough for any of our teams. Still it would be nice to know if she got "looked" at by our side.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

When you say "suiting up for Switzerland" what team do you mean, under 17, under 20 or their national team? Since the Swiss women are ranked 31st between Serbia and Rep of Ireland there is a good chance that Ms. McFetridge would not be good enough for any of our teams. Still it would be nice to know if she got "looked" at by our side.

I don't really know. This is what the news release says:

Kelowna Teen Invited to Play with Swiss Nationals

September 3, 2007

Chantal McFetridge (#16-lower left) will move from Kelowna to Switzerland in December to play for the Swiss National Women’s soccer team. She has been confirmed as a team invitee and will suit up for the 2008 season.

Chantal has been a select player in the Central Okanagan helping the Kelowna United U16 girl’s team win a bronze medal at the 2007 B.C. championships.

Chantal McFetridge has dual citizenship; she currently resides in Canada and was born in Switzerland.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

It is the Swiss U-17 team as far as I am aware. I am awaiting a phone call from her Kelowna coach who says the story of how she ended up on the Swiss team is an interesting one. He chose not to respond to me in writing per email. Keep an eye on www.bcsoccerweb.com for any new information that comes to light.

The BCSA does routinely scout players in the British Columbia interior for provincial team programs and the District Develpment Centres so if they did not see her the only ones to blame really are her club, coach and/or local association. There has also been some ongoing resentment in the interior with people believing that preference is given to Lower Mainland players by the selectors. This should be balanced by the fact that well over 50% of the entire population of BC lives in the Lower Mainland and southern Vancouver Island so there is much more and better competition in this region for the youngsters as well as more playing opportunities than there ever could be in any of the centres in the interior.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

There is more information about this young lady in an article today on www.bcsoccerweb.com

Kelowna Teen Takes Opportunity to Play in Switzerland

http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-september/swiss-sep-04.htm

From what I understand but have not yet been able to confirm, the young lady's parents are footing the bill for this experience.

Thank you Richard for expanding the story. Well done.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Hey Richard. Here's a link to a Munich newspaper article on Chloe Hegland (the juggling phenom).

http://www.merkur-online.de/regionen/mstadt/Danteln-Fussball-Z%E9-Roberto-Weltmeisterin-Guinness-Wolrld-Records-Chloe-Hegland;art8828,833640

She's not been capped yet apparently :)

Thanks but I found an English article in a Canadian paper, see www.bcsoccerweb.com.

Oh sure, always appreciate pics but can't always use them. If the story was hosted on my server instead of on the newspaper's server I could use the pic with permission. Thanks for the effort nevertheless, much appreciated. Email me direct next time, address is on the website.

Archived