Mo Weighs in on CSA

Stephen LaRose

Back end of Dean McNulty's column on SLAM sports ...

CSA A MESS

Johnston also weighed in yesterday on the resignation of Canadian Soccer Association boss Colin Linford.

He said if Canada wants to improve on its world ranking, it will have to get its soccer house in order. And that may mean professional sides such as TFC should be in charge of developing young home-grown players, not the CSA.

"It doesn't do anybody any good to see 15- and 16-year-old players going overseas and never coming back," he said. "I would love to think that (if) Vancouver and Montreal can come into (the MLS) and help grow the sport by developing young players, it's a good thing because at the end of the day that's what it is all about."

Johnston said that Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., nearly is ready to unveil its own plan for developing local talent through the establishment of a TFC academy.

"Our academy, and there's going to be an announcement of that coming up, will help immensely," he said.

Johnston said that for the national soccer program to succeed, it has to get help from all of the best minds in the game.

"We are here to help, as well. We are all in this together," he said. "I would love to sit down with some major soccer people -- guys who know the sport within this country -- and take a look at it."

I started another thread on the same thing & but then deleted the topic.

Just going to say I think these are the best comments I've heard from Mo in a long time.

The full article is also posted in the TFC forum in case people want to read about Mo's comments in getting rid of Andy Welsh.

I'll give Moe the benefit of the doubt and assume it is the reporter, and not Moe who is clueless about the state of soccer in Canada. In the absence of extensive rules regarding the training of young player or the requirement that they go to Europe, the conclusion that the CSA is "in charge" of developing young players is simply a bubbleheaded comment.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I'll give Moe the benefit of the doubt and assume it is the reporter, and not Moe who is clueless about the state of soccer in Canada. In the absence of extensive rules regarding the training of young player or the requirement that they go to Europe, the conclusion that the CSA is "in charge" of developing young players is simply a bubbleheaded comment.

TRUE...The CSA is not exclusively in charge of player development. But since we don't have a truly national professional league and we have few real pro teams (who only recently started working on academies), who is going to be responsible for nurturing young talent in Canada? If the CSA really cared about the success of the national team programs, they would not have allowed 15+ years pass without trying to plant the seeds for a new professional league.

Things will inevitably improve as more academies are established in Canada but I dont foresee a lot more pro teams other than Vancouver, Montreal and TFC so what's going to happen to all the talented players who dont get discovered by those 3 teams. Do they quit the game at 16? Do they try to go overseas, again relying on foreign clubs to develop our young talent?

I really just wish the people at the CSA would sit down with all the stakeholders and admit their shortcomings. If they would just be honest and open, the process of moving forward would be much easier. However, i think i have a better chance of being gifted a Ferrari then ever seeing that happen.

Guest Jeffery S.

It is a bit much to have to hear how a team that until now has done zilch in player development, and with a coach afraid to give some of the younger guys time on the pitch even though his signings are not working out too well, has the gall to make a dig at the CSA.

That is pure bull, Mo. TFC is not a developer of Canadian players, that is merely a project, a hope for the future. There are literally hundreds of clubs developing players, and our pro players right now represent dozens of amateur clubs across the country that gave them a chance and taught them something. The Lynx have done twenty times more (lets not mention the Lynx because TFC pales in comparison).

So before using the current crisis to take pot shots maybe better to shut up and get a move on it, and in a few years time, if the results can be seen, maybe brag about what you've done. But of course by then Mo will be nowhere to be seen.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

TRUE...The CSA is not exclusively in charge of player development. But since we don't have a truly national professional league and we have few real pro teams (who only recently started working on academies), who is going to be responsible for nurturing young talent in Canada? If the CSA really cared about the success of the national team programs, they would not have allowed 15+ years pass without trying to plant the seeds for a new professional league.

Things will inevitably improve as more academies are established in Canada but I dont foresee a lot more pro teams other than Vancouver, Montreal and TFC so what's going to happen to all the talented players who dont get discovered by those 3 teams. Do they quit the game at 16? Do they try to go overseas, again relying on foreign clubs to develop our young talent?

I really just wish the people at the CSA would sit down with all the stakeholders and admit their shortcomings. If they would just be honest and open, the process of moving forward would be much easier. However, i think i have a better chance of being gifted a Ferrari then ever seeing that happen.

I'm hearing some very positive comments with regard to how TFC/MLSE is moving forward with their youth academy. Its a work in progress, almost a year in the making. They've spoken with people at the Fury, Lynx Jrs, Whitecaps, Abbotsford (the Super Ys) and they have spoken to some clubs in the GTA area and of course their select few who are in the academy circuit in Southern Ontario.

The biggest drawback as I see it will be if they go forward with current TFC Assistant Coach Mike Matkovich as the lead dog. He polarizes people, he'd fit right in with the fartcatchers at the OSA or the CSA - same kind of attitude/ego. He was plucked from the Chicago area and the two main Super Y clubs (Sockers & Magic) are more or less delighted he's gone.

Depending on what TFC intend on doing, they need someone more concilliatory as the lead. Established youth team coaches are going to be pissed when the top player from their team is plucked to go play for one of TFC's youth teams. The clubs are going to be under some internal pressure so TFC will want to work with the clubs. Hopefully the model is to affiliate with the academy, get the top 5% of each age group and "co-mingle" the players to enhance development.

Finally, TFC will be competing with the OSA for the top players in each age group. Those discussions have been nothing less than each side, "smiling and nodding" with each other! Both sides need to be very cautious, "if you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas"!

quote:Originally posted by squid2

Depending on what TFC intend on doing, they need someone more concilliatory as the lead. Established youth team coaches are going to be pissed when the top player from their team is plucked to go play for one of TFC's youth teams. The clubs are going to be under some internal pressure so TFC will want to work with the clubs. Hopefully the model is to affiliate with the academy, get the top 5% of each age group and "co-mingle" the players to enhance development

Sorry squid, but to me that sounds like we're just going to have a duplication of the the provincial program. A player can't have two masters, it won't work.

TFC have made it clear that they want to keep everyone happy, but if they want to produce a real academy, they need to take on these players full time. If they are going to try to be everyone's friend, it ain't going to work.

It is mandatory for all MLS teams to have soccer academy from 14+,with prof.coaching staff paid by the club.In a interview with Mike from RPB Paul A. CEO TFC explained about TFC soccer academy and why they don't have it already.

Keep one thing in mind TFC must have 12 Canadian players on roster so it is in their interest to have good development program.

Between TFC academy and provincial team with part time coach I would choose TFC any day.

Check out Red Patch Live's exclusive one on one with Paul Beirne today!!!

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?do...786027070516578

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Sorry squid, but to me that sounds like we're just going to have a duplication of the the provincial program. A player can't have two masters, it won't work.

TFC have made it clear that they want to keep everyone happy, but if they want to produce a real academy, they need to take on these players full time. If they are going to try to be everyone's friend, it ain't going to work.

I agree...TFC's only obligation when it comes to their academy is to let all other stakeholders know what they planning to do in advance of the public so its not perceived as a sneak attack.

beyond that, they should build the best program they can and let players and parents vote with their feet. A top quality TFC academy, will create competition for the best local players and only good things come from competition, IMHO

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

It is mandatory for all MLS teams to have soccer academy from 14+,with prof.coaching staff paid by the club.In a interview with Mike from RPB Paul A. CEO TFC explained about TFC soccer academy and why they don't have it already.

Keep one thing in mind TFC must have 12 Canadian players on roster so it is in their interest to have good development program.

Between TFC academy and provincial team with part time coach I would choose TFC any day.

Check out Red Patch Live's exclusive one on one with Paul Beirne today!!!

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?do...786027070516578

link is not working...

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

They did try, and they failed - the attempt was called the CUSL. And I wouldn't lay the blame for the failure entirely on the CSA's door.

When that didn't work, the CSA changed the initiative to bring MLS to Canada.

Archived