Why is MLS so competitive?

trueviking

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

With such a reflexion, we could also say that...

USL teams beat MLS teams in US open cups

MLS teams equals euro teams in their face to face

So, USL equals a top Euro level...

Indeed:

Richmond (USL2) 1 Los Angeles 0

Charleston (USL1) 1 Houston 0

Harrisburg (USL2) 1 DC 0

Carolina (USL1) 1 Chicago 0

Seattle (USL1) 3 Chivas 1

In the quarterfinals there are 5 USL teams (3 USL1, 2 USL2) and only 3 MLS teams.

So what does this all mean?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

In the quarterfinals there are 5 USL teams (3 USL1, 2 USL2) and only 3 MLS teams.

So what does this all mean?

Obviously there is a 'coast' factor as some teams care about only certain competitions. I don't follow the US Open but do MLS teams tend to use more of their bench? If so, then there's the answer...

And to muddle the issue even more:

July 17, 2005

Whitecaps 3 Sunderland 0

July 18, 2006

Seattle Sounders 1 Cardiff City 1

July 19, 2006

Whitecaps 3 India National Team 1

July 23, 2006

Whitecaps 0 Cardiff City 0 (Cup match - Whitecaps win on penalties)

July 23, 2007

Seattle Sounders 2 Preston North End 1

So...what does it mean?

to be fair, the most famous Indian footballer(besides people who played for other countries), Bhutia, played for Bury. South East Asia and USA/Canada are pretty much the final frontiers of soccers, the difference is the amount of money we got means our team is decent compared to south east asian teams despite the lack of interest.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

to be fair, the most famous Indian footballer(besides people who played for other countries), Bhutia, played for Bury. South East Asia and USA/Canada are pretty much the final frontiers of soccers, the difference is the amount of money we got means our team is decent compared to south east asian teams despite the lack of interest.

In fairness, India did not play well and the Whitecaps could have scored more than the 3 they did. But still, I think a club can still take some pride in beating a national team.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

If any MLS team went over to England in December and played any Championship side they would get murdered.

Maybe, although I doubt the Championship teams would take it seriously. They would probably field a reserve-side.

Anyway, I'm glad MLS teams are getting good results against the British clubs. It might encourage more European clubs to choose North America in future summers for their preseason tour instead of Asia where the games are complete laughing festivals.

The only downside of MLS teams getting these good results is that the American spazzos come-out in full-force with the "we have the greatest athletes", "we will dominate soccer world in 30 years time" , "MLS is the 5th best league in the world", "world cup 2014 is ours to lose" , "MLS teams should compete in UEFA Champions League" nonsense

what? sheffield united is the only team there I'd agree with, and they got relegated, Middlesborough have the potential to beat the MLS allstars 12 - 0 as far as I'm concerned, when there in top form, most national teams would be hard pressed to stop them.

Middlesborough would lose by four goals.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

"MLS is the 5th best league in the world

no one could be that dumb could they? someone earlier said 12th to 15th and I thought maybe they could make tenth, but then I counted the better leagues in my head, 3 from the americas (Brazil, Argentina Mexico(despite superliga results I say MLS is a few years off the mexican league)), the big 5 in Europe (Serie A, La Liga, Premiership, Ligue 1, Bundesliga) and then in my humble estimation I put the portuguese, the dutch and the turkish leagues ahead of MLS which means the 12 to 15 is spot on to me. I put MLS at the level of the belgian, the scottish and the greek leagues.

I'd say Serie A, La Liga, EPL and the Brazilian league are the top 4, what kinda retard puts MLS above bundesliga and ligue 1?

Guest Jeffery S.

no one could be that dumb could they? someone earlier said 12th to 15th and I thought maybe they could make tenth, but then I counted the better leagues in my head, 3 from the americas (Brazil, Argentina Mexico(despite superliga results I say MLS is a few years off the mexican league)), the big 5 in Europe (Serie A, La Liga, Premiership, Ligue 1, Bundesliga) and then in my humble estimation I put the portuguese, the dutch and the turkish leagues ahead of MLS which means the 12 to 15 is spot on to me. I put MLS at the level of the belgian, the scottish and the greek leagues.

I'd say Serie A, La Liga, EPL and the Brazilian league are the top 4, what kinda retard puts MLS above bundesliga and ligue 1?

Actually the MLS teams would have problems playing away against any of the top teams in almost any S. American league. I mean they are not better than Colo Colo or Universidad de Chile, Olimpia de Asunción or Cerro Porteño, Millionarios or Independiante de Medellín or Deportivo Cali, though of course on a good day anything could happen. I think the best of MLS would be better than teams in Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru or Venezuela, but then again home and away it would be close.

Think about when the MLS teams do preseason in Spain, they go to La Manga del Mar Menor and play average Norwegian teams and they are pretty even in fact.

No MLS team is as good as any of the Athens teams. I would put them at the level of Belgium or Austria or Denmark, but until you see them in a competitive match it is of course really hard to say.

That said, the results in Superliga were pretty good the other night, so maybe MLS is getting better, I have no doubt about that. And as the money comes in and they spend more on players, retain more players (I think DeRosario got a new contract that more than doubled the previous, a way to keep him at Houston), and play more internationally, we'll see it is a league on the rise.

Re: The SuperLiga.

The Mexican teams are still in preseason. The semifinals and final of that tournament (which take place in the second-half of August) will be a better measuring tool. Assuming of course that any Mexican teams are still alive.

French Ligue 1 and the German Bundesliga are better than the Brazilian league.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

French Ligue 1 and the German Bundesliga are better than the Brazilian league.

I disagree, Brazil may tend to have to many oldies and young guys but they never relent in being able to provide plenty of talent for all the leagues of europe, if they fell behind in producing talent, then maybe but at this time they still seem to be boiling with talent that any of the big leagues would be lucky to have.

THis isn't the best arguement cause the world clup championship isn't very prestigious, but when was the last time a brazialian team didn't win it? at least 2 years ago, if not more

Archived