2 U17 Players sign with Whitecaps Residency

masster

Well I think you'll finally start seeing some national team pool players coming out of the Vancouver area again as Thomas Niendorf has an eye for talent and the respect in Germany to get the young players a look.

Good news.

My understanding from what people have posted here previously is they are at least looking at carribbean and central american players and were scouting in the concacaf U17 qualifiers.

This is particularly interesting.

"In the program's second year the players will be placed on under-19 teams in Germany and in the third year players are expected to sign a contract with a European club or return home to attend university or suit up with the Whitecaps."

So it seems they will do one year in residencey, one year loaned out to youth teams in Germany, and then be expected to turn pro in Europe or with whitecaps. I assume if they turn pro in Europe, the whitecaps will get compensation. Probably not a bad business model.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

My understanding from what people have posted here previously is they are at least looking at carribbean and central american players and were scouting in the concacaf U17 qualifiers.

This is particularly interesting.

"In the program's second year the players will be placed on under-19 teams in Germany and in the third year players are expected to sign a contract with a European club or return home to attend university or suit up with the Whitecaps."

So it seems they will do one year in residencey, one year loaned out to youth teams in Germany, and then be expected to turn pro in Europe or with whitecaps. I assume if they turn pro in Europe, the whitecaps will get compensation. Probably not a bad business model.

You are correct. At a news conference I attended earlier this summer Lenarduzzi and Thomas Niendorf said the scouting for residentcy players would begin in British Columbia and be expanded in due course across Canada. Ultimately the hope is to include the USA and the Caribbean as well.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Finally, someone in Canada realizes that the real money in NA soccer is grooming young players for European professional teams. Most Brazilian professional teams would be money-losing entities if they did not have this source of revenue. Kudos to the Whitecaps.

Well, Toronto FC makes money.

Archived