Now Saputo wants in to MLS

Gian-Luca

It appears the owners of the MLS are taking measured steps to success. Some correct, some less than perfect. The NASL died mired in debt. The MLS is trying to learn from history.

They are likely building 5 and 10 year business plans. The musings of the MLS on which cities will get a franchise, (not club) are deliberate trial balloons. If they believe money is to be made with more teams in Canada than more teams will be added to Canada.

If, and only if, they get to the point of a very large league (30 teams) will they divide, east/west. Time zones and travel being the issue. They will not go for 2 divisions, unless they come up with a financial plan that has a lower price entry fee for the 2nd division and if you want to get promoted you have to cough up the cash. The franchises (not teams) that are there now forked out a lot of cash to be in the MLS. They will not want to be relegated. They are the owners of the league, they set the rules.

Remember the golden rule of business, “those with the gold make the rules”

quote:Originally posted by Niagara Hammer

Remember the golden rule of business, “those with the gold make the rules”

the golden rule of business is that it takes money to make money, that's just a rule with the word gold in it.

As for the healthy skepticism about the eventual formation of a second division with a route to promotion from first to second, remember that the goal of the MLS is to create a high quality product. The league is that product. It is organized around this goal.

They might innovate by giving brand new franchises a 3-5 year exemption from relegation. After that point, there would not further franchises add except through promotion from the 2nd division. Owners who don't want to risk relegation will do as all owners do -- plan to succeed. And, yes, plenty of owners would be very happy to be successful in a second division only.

The MLS has its criteria for playing in the MLS today. That won't change with the addition of a second division. The biggest factor will be soccer specific stadiums -- and that's how a more club-like system will grow -- along with contributions to the development of players.

I am optimistic that franchises which perform more as clubs will succeed far more than those which do not. They will be popular across the marketplace, with fans in cities around the continent. And such organizations will reach beyond the MLS for more success at higher and higher levels. Extra-league competitions will become another measurement of a club/franchise's success in the marketplace. It all adds revenues -- and not just at the gate.

I guess in theory any team in Europe could be ending up playing in their top league.The relegation and or promotion system is the one that rules,not the owners at all.I sometimes wonder what the best system is for all involved and certainly player development.I venture to say that the European system is the better one and certainly for the overall player development.

So that "golden"rule does not apply in Europe it seems.I guess the clubs with the most money also have the biggest buying power and that may in the long run be a very serious problem, unless they keep on producing these great soccer players and things will equal out because of the so called world wide supply.

It is even so remarkable that there are countries who are soccer powers and yet they don't have that population that may be part of the numbers game. For one Holland has a very small population compared to many others and than there are the Chechs,who are even more remarkable etc.

The question is what would be the very best system to ensure proper player developments as well as having many more soccer clubs on the pro level.Should the powers be in the hand of the Associations or should we be satisfied with the owners calling the shots?Taking Hamilton as an example we all know what these owners will do,forget about the fan and let's control that market our way,no such thing as relegation and or promotion, they will say.I suspect many many many years from now that question will have to be answered and we may very well have the relegation and promotion system.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Take a look at the current standings...

maybe i should have been more clear in my statement.

The league will take the division in name only that presently exists, and make it a formal wall (if you will) and not have any crossing of that wall until playoffs.

Promotion / Regulation may work here in NA. However, the current owners will have to have the business case work for them first.

On another note.

Hamilton will not get a club under the current methodology, ever. The Franchise system currently in place will deal with it the same way the NHL does. Small market franchises in the US are more valuable than a sporting rivalry between the much loved Hamilton ______ and anything Toronto. I, for years, cheered for ‘Not Toronto’ that is until TFC came our way. I still will not cheer for anything else Toronto.

I am biased can you tell. Oske wee wee

• 2 weeks later...

If Lino Sr. wants this to be his legacy, $30 million is pocket change for the Saputo family. As I mentioned in another thread the Saputo Family ranks with Malcolm Glazer and Jim Balsillie in terms of wealth and well ahead of George Gillet Jr. That is according to Forbes Magazine. It's just that making cheese is less glamorous than owning EPL and NHL teams and being in the IT business.

quote:Originally posted by valenciafc

Vancouver will happen before Montreal ..... Saputo was balking at the $10 mill price tag .... it has now gone up to $30 mill

Lino Saputo ranks as the 317th richest man in the world and is depending on the estimate 8th to 12th richest in Canada well above many more prominent people such as the Molson family and the Aspers. Kerfoot's wealth is small change compared to that of the Saputos.

Archived