Toronto Star: It's time to exploit local talent

RS

The same could be said for basketball judging by the TV ratings across the country. Or lacrosse for that matter and there is not a more Canadian sport than lacrosse.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Hey Canuck,our game still has to be accepted by Canadians as a whole. These registered kids alone will tell you the story as well as the non existance of any player who has Canadian parents in the competitive side of soccer and the MNT teams in particular.All I am trying to convey that we have along road ahead of us and that the acceptance of soccer as a major sport among those parents is vital. The help of the media is also vital since sofar they have done a masterfull job of keeping that fear and or low scoring and or riot factor up there.

I find it all so strange that we seem to have to fight for recognition and even some status. What is wrong with the game to get that type of treatment. Is the whole world wrong?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me that the NBA have extensive coverage on tv. I really have not checked the numbers but if nothing else the printed media is enormous and certainly in Toronto.Lacrosse is not a worldsport on the level of soccer,nor do i believe an Olympic sport.

Again it seems thst the local team gets very good coveage in the TO media.

Re: McCown. He doesn't like soccer and makes no secret of it. And that's fine. Not everyone will like soccer. But he also has Stephen Brunt on his show regularly and there are few journalists in the country who have such a high profile and are such allies for soccer. McCown's act is his act and it's never going to change. But he (and his producers) know that there has to be soccer on the show (or risk being irrelevant) and his guest hosts ensure that the discussion is meaningful.

The point was about a sport not being accepted across the board by Canadians. My point, in addition to that, was that across the board acceptance is not necessary just enough support and interest to attract sponsors is and media coverage will follow. Not the other way around.

It seems to me that the NBA have extensive coverage on tv. I really have not checked the numbers but if nothing else the printed media is enormous and certainly in Toronto.Lacrosse is not a worldsport on the level of soccer,nor do i believe an Olympic sport.

Again it seems thst the local team gets very good coveage in the TO media.

It is always media first,marketing ie sponsors second. No sponsor or marketing guru will touch anything at all unless the media will pick up and or has already.Those pres clippings and tv/radio reports are vital to any sponsor. No media no sponsor,period.

If 15,000 to 20,000 fans show up to each TFC match and if the U20 WC draws large crowds across the country, the media will pay attention.

The hardcore fans have to put their money where their mouths are

and buy tickets, scarves, jerseys...the works. Make an effort to support the few sponsors that Soccer Canada has and support the sponsors that TFC signs on. If you do that, more sponsors will line up to be part of the action. It's simple...money talks. If we just prefer to sit on the sideline and wait for someone else to fork over the money to grow the game you will be waiting forever and we'll never build the popularity of the pro game. Soccer will just forever remain a recreational pastime. We need to stop worrying about the past and do our part to creat a better future for the game.

It will be interesting to see if the media will change their historic soccer attitude,meaning don't write about an upcoming game just sent a rookie reporter to the game and put the story on the third page.That's what killed soccer again and again and again.We expect front page coverage not third page coveage,we demand that we become part of the regular tv shows as having a regular on it to talk soccer and not as a courtesy or afterthought.We demand all the trimmings these other sports receive at no cost at all.We demand that there are highly qualified reporters that have a specific soccer beat.We also demand that reporters travel with the team and report from there as any other major sport gets.We aslo demand that there will be reporters that travel with our Canadian teams men and women in both competitive as well as friendly matches.

This is what we as soccer supporters should demand and foremost TFC.should receive in order to make the big time. Without this it will flounder and these guys will get away with murder again.

As I said so many times it is all about our kids and kids they are these young players.

It will be interesting to see if the media will change their historic soccer attitude,meaning don't write about an upcoming game just sent a rookie reporter to the game and put the story on the third page.That's what killed soccer again and again and again.We expect front page coverage not third page coveage,we demand that we become part of the regular tv shows as having a regular on it to talk soccer and not as a courtesy or afterthought.We demand all the trimmings these other sports receive at no cost at all.We demand that there are highly qualified reporters that have a specific soccer beat.We also demand that reporters travel with the team and report from there as any other major sport gets.We aslo demand that there will be reporters that travel with our Canadian teams men and women in both competitive as well as friendly matches.

This is what we as soccer supporters should demand and foremost TFC.should receive in order to make the big time. Without this it will flounder and these guys will get away with murder again.

As I said so many times it is all about our kids and kids they are these young players.

It's a classic case of the which comes first, the chicken or the egg. In my opinion, you have to earn the attention of the media, not demand it. You have to show up at all the games, create a buzz, make them feel stupid for ignoring it. Making demands just makes you look foolish because if no one is supporting the game, why cover it? Being a fan on an internet forum is fine and good but all that really matters to the media is how many butts are in the seats and how many people are clammoring for soccer coverage. Look at hockey in the US. People in many parts of the US don't care about the game, no matter what the NHL tries to say, and as a result, many newspapers don't have a beat reporter anymore and only report scores. Other NHL teams may have a beat reporter but that person doesn't travel when they go on the road. If you want the media to be interested, make damn sure you get to all the games, cheer like mad and help create a buzz. Buy the shirts, support the sponsors and make the corporate types feel like they made a wise investment.

I am also a huge hasketball fan so I also get frustrated by the fact that my Toronto Raptors get so little attention relative to hockey but that is a fact of life. However, thanks to the power of MLSE, there are 17-20 thousand people at each game, there is an excellent atmosphere at each game (better than Leafs games) and the team is now actually decent so people are actually more willing to talk about it now, which makes me happy. If we provide the atmosphere at the games and the team is good or at least entertaining, we'll get attention. Without that, don't expect anything.

It is always media first,marketing ie sponsors second. No sponsor or marketing guru will touch anything at all unless the media will pick up and or has already.Those pres clippings and tv/radio reports are vital to any sponsor. No media no sponsor,period.

Wow. Good thing you're not in PR anymore. Or never were in marketing, for that matter.

Ok what is your almighty background anyway. Show me your credentials and I will pay attention.

I can assure you I can run circles around you, but show me who you are,ok lm

I will bet you any money you will hide distord or come up with some typical phony lm excuse,ok show me!If you don't I will make you the laughing stock on this board.

It is all yours baby!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Who is this Eric Francis idiot - anyone know? It's like that article was written in 1975 with the words "Pele" changed to "Beckham".

Somebody might want to tell him that season tickets are season tickets. A simple concept I know, but one which apparently confused him.

I believe he is a radio personality for a local fm station here in Calgary. I believe he also writes occasionally for the Sun here as well. His attitude towards the game is one that is prevailing amongst several local conservative right wing media personalities in this town. It’s funny how they just doesn’t trust soccer around here. They seem to put up with the world cup once every 4 years but that’s it. I guess with these people its a matter of I know what I like and I like what I know.

Ok what is your almighty background anyway. Show me your credentials and I will pay attention.

I can assure you I can run circles around you, but show me who you are,ok lm

I will bet you any money you will hide distord or come up with some typical phony lm excuse,ok show me!If you don't I will make you the laughing stock on this board.

It is all yours baby!!!!!!

What's my background? I need to justify my comments? Fine then...

I have a BA in Political Science, a post-graduate diploma in Public Relations, and am currently a web marketing professional.

I have worked in PR for a Toronto firm specializing in brand marketing, as a communications assistant for an Ontario MPP, in sales and training for a company dealing with major clients such as Loblaws Companies, Black's Photography, and Japan Camera Centres, and I now work for a small e-commerce company as the Search Engine Marketing and Search Engine Optimization Manager.

Happy now?

Will there be a webcast or some kind of pay-per-view when John TV runs circles around Loud Mouth Soup? This is something I definitely want to see. Maybe we could run it as a benefit for those who lost money in the scarf debacle. We could pledge money for each circle run.

No readers, no circulation. No circulation, no advertising.

No proven reader interest, no media.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

No readers, no circulation. No circulation, no advertising.

No proven reader interest, no media.

Well put...or..

Fan interest = ratings

ratings = advertising $$

advertising $$ = CSA affords better coach

CSA affords better coach = better performance

better performance = fan interest

Media will not cover something that is not there, nor will they cover something unsuccessful (unless it's in a negative light). So if we want the media to get into soccer, soccer will have to put out. Lacrosse never got any significant coverage, then the Rock became successful with cheap tickets and catering to the youth demographic (marketing) and now their games are televised and there's media interest.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

What's my background? I need to justify my comments? Fine then...

I have a BA in Political Science, a post-graduate diploma in Public Relations, and am currently a web marketing professional.

I have worked in PR for a Toronto firm specializing in brand marketing, as a communications assistant for an Ontario MPP, in sales and training for a company dealing with major clients such as Loblaws Companies, Black's Photography, and Japan Camera Centres, and I now work for a small e-commerce company as the Search Engine Marketing and Search Engine Optimization Manager.

Happy now?

Sorry Loud Mouth with all these credentials,why call yourself Loud mouth,in your position and background i could have thought about a trillion better names.

My appologies for treating you this way and I am glad that you responded in such an informative and honest level. Yes I am very impressed and I just wonder were is that soccer coming from.

Parents foreign oops,

When I made my statement about getting the numbers i was referring back to my illustrious carreer in the robbie. I became the PR guy and I managed to get the media attention,which helped us greatly to get the sponsors involved. The stands were filled to the rafters when i got the media to write our stuff and the sponsors were delighted. So i always believed get the media one way or another and than everything will fall in place. Now you could ask the sponsor to help you with the media since they have their pr departments. the problem with that was that they had no one who knew anything about soccer or even had the desire to get involved,back to that crazy feeling again.

I can assure you that my scoup was to have two artivles in the Congrassional records of the United States which were speeches in the Congres,clearly stated that the Robbie should be looked upon as the tournament which showed that women soccer was very much a great sport and that this should be an Olympic sport and guess what,it became one,hey the Robbie was the culprit without any doubt.

That was of my many experiences that all started with media releases,public interest and resulting into the great sponsorships.

Hey i even got David Miller involved in soccer and guess what happeben we got ourselves a stadium.Did I have something to do with it,who knows,but it was the first time he really became interested in soccer and when i asked him to become an adviser in the Robbie he said yes and also became a sponsor and advertiser.Hey maybe he was thinking about the soccer vote whatever,i got him in soccer.

This all because all the newspaper articles and yes TV shows.

Anyway no hard feelings and maybe you and I should meet and put our heads together and find a way to use that internet more effectavely,I have a whole bunch of ideas and most of them are very good,but i need that devil thing to hold me back.What do you think. Talking about optimizing this is it,to the top of the page.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Will there be a webcast or some kind of pay-per-view when John TV runs circles around Loud Mouth Soup? This is something I definitely want to see. Maybe we could run it as a benefit for those who lost money in the scarf debacle. We could pledge money for each circle run.

Personally I prefer the above idea to Johntv's current attempts to end the fued with LMS.

Archived