Toronto Star: It's time to exploit local talent

RS

I agree I should have been more specific and ask the question which player has two Canadian parents.Although i suppose if the father is non Canadian it makes sense while if the father is Canadian and the mother is not I wonder what sport that child will be playing and would it be soccer.If you were to check the houseleague teams you will find a much higher percentage of Canadian parents and i also wonder why.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the issue is that children of parents who are soccer fans are more likely to play soccer and also more likely to take it as a serious sport as opposed to a recreational activity. Since many immigrants come from countries where soccer is the dominant sport, a much higher percentage of immigrants are soccer fans than people of Canadian heritage. Also before we get amazed at how many of our players have immigrant parents, consider that if you take the number of Canadians who were not born in Canada or who have one parent who was not born in Canada that this is probably about one third of our current population. It is also very hard to know who to include as an immigrant unless you know the family or an article has been written about them. Stalteri is obviously of Italian background but of what generation? Many Italians immigrated 4 and 5 generations ago so if his family are not recent immigrants he should be included among those of Canadian heritage.

Hopefully a benefit of TFC is that more non-immigrant Canadians will also become soccer fans. It is hard to be a soccer fan when you don't have any teams playing in a decent league. Getting EPL games on tv is only going to do so much as far as creating an interest in the game. Attending live matches and having press coverage of a local team will hopefully turn more parents and their children into soccer fans.

The real story is that soccer at one time was a totally Canadian sport meening that all players came from Canadian parents. Case in point when the team from the Western football Association went to Brittain in 1888,the only player not born in Canada was David Forsyth who came to Canada when he was 1 year old.The 1904 team that won that gold medal in the Olympics all were players who had Canadian parents and even check their names.Up untill 1918 it truly was a totally Canadian sport.Than after ww1 the picture changed since many soccer players lost their lives in Europe.The influx of emmigrants took place and other sports overtook soccer.I did some extensive surveys and asked the question what soccer team did your father and or mother play.It became very obvious that the influx of foreign parents was just about 98% in competitive boys soccer while the houseleauge players had a higher percentage of Canadian parents. On the girls side there was a distinct higher content of Canadian parents.

Competitive soccer is mostly all children with at least one foreign parent and in many cases two foreign parents.

That is why we need that media acceptance and the media reports on Canadian teams and Canadian stars. We must make that breakthrough among the average Canadian and I agree with Grizz that TFC can play a vital role in the acceptance and with their obvious media cloud get this thing on the front pages and electronic media reports as well as talk shows. That is why I have such a dislike for Bob Macgowan, he is practally sabotaging the acceptance of soccer as a major sport in Canada and only because he knows he has a big following that eats his stuff.He is also hurting Canada as well and Canadian parents in particular.

He should not be allowed to express his intense dislikes for a game and certainly not soccer. He does it since there are many that feel the way he does and I am sure that he gets enough calls, letters and I guess e-mails to think he has a niche.If he did not he would not. Believe me Grizz I have done the talk and I know what level soccer is and this has to change. The quikest and most logical way is through the media. I feel like a machine gun every bullit is the same story,but there it is. We can't stop we musy continue to get the media to see what soccer really means and what soccer can do for spectator,for children and as a country.I keep on seeing these stories about soccer being some kind of healing force meaning it brings even ennemies together,the story about soldiers playing soccer ,the brits against the germans.Even Canadians were those that would kick a soccer ball first before they jumped out of the trenches.The Palestanians and the Jews,even south America has stopped this internal war business.

I really don't know what is wrong with that game at all.

I often wondered how important was soccer to accept the unification of Europe as the E.U.

The diasappearance of communism and also the economic power that soccer has I guess it does not hurt to have a labour force that has as it's common denominator soccer and probably because of soccer many other sports as well.

Anyway back to that parent stuff,I believe that we must strive for the acceptance of soccer as a major Canadian sport and hey we may even have an abundance of Steve Nashe's and Steve Yzerman's.

As I told you the story of soccer has not been told yet,but it is coming.

He does it because it makes people like you john TV keep talking about him and his show, people who otherwise would not pay him any attention at all. Some people as a result may just tune in to listen out of curiosity if nothing else who might not otherwise have done so and they will boost his ratings. Clearly his core listenership reflects the persona he projects on the air so he is not losing anything by badmouthing soccer. Best thing to do about him is to ignore him completely.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I often wondered how important was soccer to accept the unification of Europe as the E.U.

The diasappearance of communism and also the economic power that soccer has I guess it does not hurt to have a labour force that has as it's common denominator soccer and probably because of soccer many other sports as well.

You know I never believed either the American or Catholic propaganda that Reagan/Pope was the one responsible for the fall of communism and the establishment of the European Union but I never realized it was actually soccer that caused all of this. Thanks for clearing that up for me John!

Hey I said I wondered if. I really believe it has something to do with it. When they were hacking down that Berlin wall they were singing soccer songs as well as the fall of the ruler of Roumania,again they stormed his palace singing soccer songs.Hey maybe a coincidence but they were singing their little hearts out obviously singing about and demanding freedom and no songs out of the bible.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

He does it because it makes people like you john TV keep talking about him and his show, people who otherwise would not pay him any attention at all. Some people as a result may just tune in to listen out of curiosity if nothing else who might not otherwise have done so and they will boost his ratings. Clearly his core listenership reflects the persona he projects on the air so he is not losing anything by badmouthing soccer. Best thing to do about him is to ignore him completely.

Hey Richard I watched that guy twice and by coincidence I might say,the first time Steve Brunt got my eye and the second time it was Beckham that got my ear. I have seen comments about him on this board and I wondered over the years what he was saying,but I could never get interested in baseball and footbal to begin with.

I am ignoring him on a direct basis contact. He knows who I am and we had some discussions in the past,but I can't really remember when.I think he was around during the Blizzard days.

I am only talking about him on this board as an example as to the power of the media and in his case his negative one and because of his ratings a powerfull one.That does not help soccer and that's why I use him as that example.

Read the following article John but calm yourself before you do so, maybe take a sedative of something. MacGowan is a soccer fan compared to this guy. Prediction: after he reads this article John will call his mafia friends and take a hit out on Francis. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but this article is so stupid and ignorant Francis almost deserves to get knocked off.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Francis/2007/01/13/3342319-sun.html

Footie fascination will fade

Bump Beckham will provide for soccer in North America will be short-lived

Eric Francis

They're already calling David Beckham The Next Great One.

And while no one outside North America has a clue who the original Great One is, there couldn't be a more appropriate title for the L.A. Galaxy's newest midfielder.

Because in the end he'll have the same impact on pro soccer in the U.S. as Wayne Gretzky did on the NHL south of the border: Very little.

Oh sure, like Gretzky initially did for the Kings, at first Becks will surely "save" pro soccer in California. (Truth is, you can save almost anything in the world -- including Mel Gibson's career -- if you throw $250 million at it.)

Jay Leno spoke for the nation when he said of the signing, "I didn't even know L.A. had a soccer team."

So, yes, landing one of the most famous sportsmen of our time and his world-renowned wife is a marketing coup that garnered front-page headlines worldwide yesterday.

Although nowhere near one of the world's best anymore, his personality, good looks, marketability and fame allow him to transcend the sport he'll try popularizing while wearing Galaxy green and gold.

When you consider nothing matters more in America than fame (money is a close second) Beckham indeed has it all.

And America -- like the U.K. and every other country in which he's played -- won't be able to get enough of him.

He'll have a far bigger impact on hairstyles, casual wear and man-purses in the U.S. than he will on the game.

Of course he'll be able to ensure sellouts in every stadium he plays.

But it won't mean a damn for the balance of the MLS schedule that doesn't include him.

The fascination with Beckham won't translate into sustainable interest in the pro game because while he'll initially draw more eyeballs to his new team and league, it won't change the fact soccer in the U.S. is seen for what it is: A horrific bore.

By far the most popular participation sport in the U.S. and Canada for quite some time, the terrific pastime simply doesn't enjoy massive popularity at the U.S. pro level because it's a monotonous game of turf chess interspersed with the briefest of failed offensive forays and regular stops for wussiness.

There aren't enough goals or stats, there isn't enough action or contact and it doesn't make for compelling TV.

There's only one football in America.

Always will be.

The reason soccer enjoys unparallelled popularity elsewhere has much to do with the history of the game and the storied local clubs in every other corner of the globe.

There's civic or international pride involved with every match.

Not here.

The only history pro soccer has on this side of the pond is one of failure at every turn.

World Cup USA in 1994 drew record crowds for the same reason we watch luge or table tennis at the Olympics: It's all spectacle.

It failed to produce enough pro soccer fans to sustain a viable league, nor did the importing of Pele, Giorgio Canaglia or Franz Beckenbauer by the ill-fated NASL of the '70s.

Through TV, sports fans here are exposed to so many more entertaining sports to watch and play.

While they may tune in to watch the initial circus surrounding Beckham's new club, they'll leave disappointed to see he only touches the ball for the briefest of spurts in a soulless game destined to finish 1-0.

Despite Gretzky's brilliance on and off the ice, hockey currently sits somewhere between spelling bees and paintball championships in U.S. popularity.

Soccer is even farther down the list and having Beckham around won't change that.

Like his cologne, the novelty will quickly wear off.

It is what I have been reading at the various US chat lines.It is what I am hearing in my waterholes and it is what I am fightin against.Hey I was in the trenches well before some of you were born. I suffered becaus of this ignorence. i spoke to all my soccer buddies and they all felt the same way. I saw Pat Surphlus the other day,my predecessor at the blizzard and I wondered what really went through her mind.The next time I see her I will find out what she thought.It was murder and many a time she was totally devastated. She would tell me so and so promised etc,etc.The media would not do a darn thing prior to a game. They killed it with deliberate ignorance. Hey how many times were there write ups about the Lynx prior to a game,zilch.

Who is this Francis, a new one for my list.I don't know any Mafia guys in fact never knowingly met one.I guess we are stuck with these racoons and as i said before you try to convert a catholic to a protestant.

I am glad that at least you seem to understand or at least recognize my level of frustration and maybe even understand what i am fighting against. Hey somebody has to do it and yes montreal is blessed with their media,so much better than the ones in Toronto. In fact it would have been initialy wiser to put a MSL team in Montreal.

I only listened and observed his show twice and that was enough. It seems without any doubt that he has a tremendous dislike for soccer. Not only in the way he expressed himself but also his body language tells a thousand words.I really believe that the negative publicity is the culprit that has kept soccer out of the lime light in this country and of course the USA and is continuing big time.I guess that having worked for the NASL makes it even more mysterious why he feels and acts this way. Did he get stiffed by the boys of the NASL.What and when and were did he work for the NASL.Since you call yourself Loud Mouth Soap,would not be a coincidence that you are Bobby baby. Come to think of it ,it makes a lot of sense,so Bobby,now that we have demasked you ,welcome to the truth.

Is that McClown an ex-welder or just a piss-tank. What's with the shades? That whole crew really brings to mind the expression, "He has a face for radio". That time slot on Sportsnet really is a low point and I have never watched more than 1 minute of it at a stretch. Everything they have to say has been said before, usually with more style and wit. Certainly of 0 interest to this potential audience.

Hey Richard I watched that guy twice and by coincidence I might say,the first time Steve Brunt got my eye and the second time it was Beckham that got my ear. I have seen comments about him on this board and I wondered over the years what he was saying,but I could never get interested in baseball and footbal to begin with.

I am ignoring him on a direct basis contact. He knows who I am and we had some discussions in the past,but I can't really remember when.I think he was around during the Blizzard days.

I am only talking about him on this board as an example as to the power of the media and in his case his negative one and because of his ratings a powerfull one.That does not help soccer and that's why I use him as that example.

Doesn't matter whether you listen to him regularly or not at all, you keep mentioning his name and his show in this forum - that boosts him. With these guys any publicity is good publicity - look what happened with Howard Stern.

Again Richard I am using him as an example for my reasoning.That is all. I am only waiting for him o face the truth and that is that he has fmmmckd up many many years and that when the time comes he will be kept aside and out of the loop.What's is he going to do when this TFC will be a tremendous succes,will he become the converted one or the outcast.Will he be inviting soccer guest,hey I maybe one of them if he converts and hey i will remind him of his negative actions. If he is as smart as he thinks he is with or without those glasses he will eat crow,I promise. This thing is going to be very powerfull and nothing can stop it any longer.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

The funny thing is john doesn't realize that McCown actually gives the game publicity, and his hatred for Bob is skewed. I guess it's what happens when you don't listen to his show because you, well, don't really listen.

/Bob used to do TV for the NASL

I've listened to Bob's show online and watched his bits on Sportsnets. He's certainly a far bigger promoter of soccer than people on this board are willing to admit.

Again Richard I am using him as an example for my reasoning.That is all. I am only waiting for him o face the truth and that is that he has fmmmckd up many many years and that when the time comes he will be kept aside and out of the loop.What's is he going to do when this TFC will be a tremendous succes,will he become the converted one or the outcast.Will he be inviting soccer guest,hey I maybe one of them if he converts and hey i will remind him of his negative actions. If he is as smart as he thinks he is with or without those glasses he will eat crow,I promise. This thing is going to be very powerfull and nothing can stop it any longer.

It matters not why you keep talking about the man and his show, the fact that you do simply promotes him yet more. I am surprised that someone who professes to be as media savvy as you doesn't seem to grasp that simple fact. Until you yammered on about him I didn't have a clue who he was, thanks to you now I do. Is that really what you want to achieve?

The issue of Canadian-born parents is totally irrelevant. The issue having soccer-playing parents is relevant. Consider that the GTA is one of the more developed soccer markets in Canada and that it now has more than 40% of its residents foreign-born. It would not be unreasonable to assume that more than 50% of children in the GTA have at least on foreign-born parent. Add to that those, the children of Canadian-born residents that have at least one foreign-born parent (grandparent of the child)and it probably is the case that better than 70% of children in the GTA fit into that category.

There is already a fan-base for European soccer leagues in Canada that goes beyond foreign-born Canadians. That is why TV ratings in Canada always seem to surprise when World Cup time comes areound. It is also why more and more soccer seems to be shown on television.

The challenge for Canadian soccer is to show that it too is high quality and worthy of attention. Beckham´s arrival has not necessarily brought new fans to the sport of soccer in Toronto. It is simply converting some of those who watch the European game to TFC season ticket holders.

Hey Canuck,our game still has to be accepted by Canadians as a whole. These registered kids alone will tell you the story as well as the non existance of any player who has Canadian parents in the competitive side of soccer and the MNT teams in particular.All I am trying to convey that we have along road ahead of us and that the acceptance of soccer as a major sport among those parents is vital. The help of the media is also vital since sofar they have done a masterfull job of keeping that fear and or low scoring and or riot factor up there.

I find it all so strange that we seem to have to fight for recognition and even some status. What is wrong with the game to get that type of treatment. Is the whole world wrong?

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

I've listened to Bob's show online and watched his bits on Sportsnets. He's certainly a far bigger promoter of soccer than people on this board are willing to admit.

I have seen that show twice and all i got out of it a very negative message about soccer,not only in words but also that body language was so revealing.So i missed these guys I guess,but whatever guest he may have had on his show,I can't imagine he changed his tune and more so the message.He is one of those media guys that detest soccer,that's what I got.

Loud Mouth I am getting that feeling you know Bobby to well,how come?

Archived