Where to spend the $$$?

Saviola7

Question: Assuming that the CSA spends x amount of dollars on their staff, how should the breakdown between COO, Technical Director, and MNT Head Coach go?

In a normal company, pay would scale with position level, but maybe you should pay the big bucks to your Coach since he's so important. Anyway, I see it like this:

CEO/COO: 40%

TD: 25%

Head Coach: 35%

I think the question is rather hypothetical.

In my opinion it is very likely that reputable head coaches recruited internationally will make significantly more than the CSA COO admin type but how much I have no idea. What's the average remuneration package worth for MLS coaches?

daniel: exactly.

richard: spot-on. maybe more pertinent to ask in regards to the MLS would be what are the pay structures for MLS coaches compared their ceo's and td's.

regs: don't be an assh**e.

the man(saviola) posted what he believes the pay structure MIGHT be. i asked..."are you suggesting an alternative?" & "do you know if we are not using this pay structure."

i can extrapolate...and will...

-are you suggesting an alternative? ... you bring up the point, but offer no suggestion on your part. simply stating what you believe it may or may not be. i'd like to know what you believe it should be.

-do you know if we are not using this pay structure? ... are you aware of our current pay structure? if you believe it to be different from what you have mentioned above, then what is your belief on our current pay structure? what is this belief based on? and if you are completely unaware of our current situation, why even discuss this type of topic - no point in guessing on this genre.

regs: is that clear enough for you? see i can be an assh**e too. now that we are even, can we carry on?

hmmm ... well that didn't really get the response I was hoping for. Let me try this again. The issue is tied up into two parts:

a) What are the relative importances of each positions?

B) Given that a certain job (ie, head coach) may be high profile and garner a greater salary than its importance suggests, what would/shouuld be a typical breakdown of the salaries?

I don't really know what is in place now, and I'm not trying to suggest an alternative, I'm merely soliciting opinions as to what people's expectations are. I don't even know what sort of numbers we're throwing around here, so my guess was just a shot in the dark. Suppose you had 1.5 million/year to spend on the three positions, how would you distribute it?

Why am I asking this? I'm curious what others think and maybe someone else knows.

1.5 million just for salaries to satisfy the CEO, TD, and Coach? ok, that's probably very close to what we have in Canada in total for those three positions. I'd give 1 million to the coach, 250,000 for each of the other two. The coach is ultimately responsible for the on-field product, thus should receive the majority of wages.

I agree with bettermirror that the bulk of available funds should go to the head coach. If we have a top notch coach he will probably have a lot of say about the technical development area so I am not as worried about this position. Many top coaches might want to take both positions like Ossieck. If we do not get a first rate coach then the TD position becomes much more crucial. We need a competent CEO who can get corporate sponsorship but we don't need to hire the CEO of Sony or Coca-Cola either. I think for $250 000 we can get a good CEO.

At this point in Canadian soccer the one thing that would give soccer in this country an overall boost were if the national team were to start having regular success and qualified for the next WC. If players such as Hutchinson, DeGuzman, Stalteri and Radzinski started to become household names this would probably do more for soccer at all levels than having a great technical development program (though that is also important). Brazil is such a soccer power not so much because they have great programs but because they have millions of soccer mad kids who play every free moment whether in a club setting or in the streets of a slum. I think in order to get kids enthusiastic about Canadian soccer our senior men's team has to have a lot more success and that is why we need to hire a coach able to bring our men's team up a level.

bettermirror,

the whole point of my post was that your retort came across as coming from someone being an arse. You didn't ask if he was suggesting an alternative, you asked if he was *going to* suggest an alternative - as if he didn't give a breakdown at all. This was after your brilliant opening of "OK, and?"

Anyways, I agree that probably the coach would take the most with the other 2 positions garnering less (but both in the same ballpark).

What do typical COO/CEOs make in sporting associations? What's the breakdown in the Aussie model?

Archived