Netherlands next World Cup winners for sure!

wildboy26

quote:Originally posted by loyola

With Holland starting to snap our best players and Wildboy26 cheering for them I think I'll have to find another to team to cheer for in South Africa...

The way you say that were you originaly a fan of the Netherlands to begin with?

quote:Originally posted by River City

How is that a dumb project?

Throwing money into a soccer program doesn't make you a contender for the World Cup in 12 years. The USA will always suck at soccer. The reasons should be obvious.

quote:

The US has been able to develop its system, especially at the youth level. They were unlucky to get drawn into a really tough group in Germany, otherwise, they may very well have repeated their past Worl Cup heroics.

"really tough group"? I don't agree.

I'm sorry, but a team that loses to Ghana and Czech Republic isn't good enough for the knockout stages. The only group they *may* have advanced through was group "D", and even then they would have gotten ripped a new one by Argentina in the round-of-16.

A team that tied the World Cup Champs with 9 men vs 10 men for a whole half might've been good enough for the knockout stages....but they weren't this year. Czech Republic was a good team (Euro 2004 seminfinalist, which isn't an easy thing to do, I think you've wrote something about it in another thread) who suffered the loss of Koller. Ghana was pretty good too, not a great team but they had a good first round (good game against Italy and the Czechs). It was to me the best group of all with no teams assured of a qualification before the last game.

I think the project for 2010 is a bit optimistic but with the way they're developping their youth players I don't see why the USA won't be a real top 10 team 5-10 yrs from now.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

A team that tied the World Cup Champs with 9 men vs 10 men for a whole half might've been good enough for the knockout stages....but they weren't this year. Czech Republic was a good team (Euro 2004 seminfinalist, which isn't an easy thing to do, I think you've wrote something about it in another thread) who suffered the loss of Koller. Ghana was pretty good too, not a great team but they had a good first round (good game against Italy and the Czechs). It was to me the best group of all with no teams assured of a qualification before the last game.

I think the project for 2010 is a bit optimistic but with the way they're developping their youth players I don't see why the USA won't be a real top 10 team 5-10 yrs from now.

I can see USA being top 10 in 5-10 years, AS LONG as the MLS improves and more players play in Europe. I just wish Canada will follow suit

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Throwing money into a soccer program doesn't make you a contender for the World Cup in 12 years. The USA will always suck at soccer. The reasons should be obvious.

True. But not spending any money in the hope that players magically develop will definitely not make you a contender. The US program has come a long way in the last decade and a bit.

"really tough group"? I don't agree.

I'm sorry, but a team that loses to Ghana and Czech Republic isn't good enough for the knockout stages. The only group they *may* have advanced through was group "D", and even then they would have gotten ripped a new one by Argentina in the round-of-16.

Yeah...Ghana and the Czech Republic are crappy teams.....along the lines of Lichtenstein...

Yeah...Ghana and the Czech Republic are crappy teams.....along the lines of Lichtenstein...

uhh... that's a silly point. (So much for having an intelligent with you).

We're talking about the World Cup here. Pretty much every non-Euro team is stuck with 2 European teams in their group. And Czech Republic is merely an average European team among the collection of European nations that qualified</u> (Liechenstein didn't qualify, BTW). In fact, you can argue that they were below average based on their qualifying campaign and how they did in the World Cup (ie. terrible).

Ghana is merely an average African team, among those that qualified (admittedly, they are strong compared to Mali though).

You could wank-off all you want about their draw against Italy. But since they didn't complement that result with any other good result, it doesn't put the USA any higher than Lithuania in my book. [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Forza_Italia

I can see USA being top 10 in 5-10 years, AS LONG as the MLS improves and more players play in Europe. I just wish Canada will follow suit

As long as NFL, NBA and MLB are the major sports in America and soccer remains a niche sport, the USA will continue to suck at soccer.

And its pretty safe to say NFL, NBA and MLB will rule for several decades more. Of course, that won't stop people from saying "the USA will be top 10 in 5 to 10 years" for the next 50 years.

uhh... that's a silly point. (So much for having an intelligent with you).

Right...and saying America sucks is a definite sign of your higher than average IQ.

If the Czechs and Ghana are average, then so is every other team in the world cup as no one really dominated their group games(argentina excluded).

You could wank-off all you want

I thought it made you go blind....

The U.S were in a really tough group at the last World Cup, but they also did not perform like a team that deserved to move on to the 2nd round. In atleast 5 of the 8 groups they also would not have, and if they happened to be in a group they moved through in 2nd place they would have been swept away in the first round.

The Netherlands were in just as tough a group IMO, considering the Czechs in the U.S group underperformed and the Italians were not even that great in the round robin, and they did much better job of showing they were competitive then the U.S, and they have alot more young guys coming up to build on then the U.S has.

what people forget about the U.S' great run in '02 was Korea's gift to the U.S. in the final group stage game which allowed the Americans to progress. If not for that the Americans would have again not advanced beyond the group stage. 06 was not an abbheration, 02 was, and unfortunately it gave them unrealistic expectations for players, media, and fans alike.

Are they good? Yes. Should the expect a quarterfinal spot as Mexico does? No. Not until they begin defeating/drawing Mexico at Azteca on a regular basis.

Right...and saying America sucks is a definite sign of your higher than average IQ.

If the Czechs and Ghana are average, then so is every other team in the world cup as no one really dominated their group games(argentina excluded).

LOL. Well, if you look hard I'm sure you could find a few more teams that played better than the Czechs.

But looking back, the groups were fairly well-balanced. In fact, the 8 quarterfinalists were from 8 different groups, iirc.

Archived