Canadians abroad: October 6-12, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete (in particular, American college matches, which are now broadcast by FSWC, are not included) or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

None.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for October 6-12, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Ante Jazic plays 90 minutes last night as LA Galaxy lose 2-1 away to FC Dallas.

Pat Onstad plays the entire game for Houston as they tie Salt Lake 1-1. De Rosario comes on in the 73rd minute.

Was/is dero nursing an injury??

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

why the heck couldnt we call him and serioux up for the jamaica game then?

I know what you mean, but Houston wouldn't release either player

during this playoff stretch. Neither would LA do the same for Jazic.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I can appreciate their logic to a point, but the thing that real confusses me is if MLS (our future league) teams are doing this with our players, what is going to happen when away frienlies role around with TFC? If they have a similar attitude, whats the real point in all this besides the stadium?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think the CSA will have to lobby hard for the MLS to honour international dates or at the very least to schedule Toronto games around international dates.

The CSA can force clubs to release players for international dates.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

I can appreciate their logic to a point, but the thing that real confusses me is if MLS (our future league) teams are doing this with our players, what is going to happen when away frienlies role around with TFC? If they have a similar attitude, whats the real point in all this besides the stadium?

Agreed with your concern. MLS teams can oppose these call-ups when

it suits them as they don't really follow the international dates.

Quite similar to CCC and lower divisions. While FIFA can FORCE the

teams to release them, the CSA prefers to work around a compromise

so that the players can be available for WCQ, when it really matters.

That's why a "Plan B" of a bigger pool of players, and lots of

friendlies would provide better options. As for TFC, it would be

better PR for them to release its Canadian stars for the MNT.

Whether they do it remains to be seen.

Unless the MLS honours the FIFA international calendar, the release of players will always be a problem or sore point. That is the main issue, not whether the CSA should demand the release of players or negotiate on an individual basis. The MLS is not "men's team friendly" in this regard and will not be until they shut down on "international weeks".

quote:Originally posted by redhat

While FIFA can FORCE the

teams to release them, the CSA prefers to work around a compromise

so that the players can be available for WCQ, when it really matters.

This is usually in regards to a spot on the team and travelling, both elements which would be reduced in the case of TFC.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Looks like Will was playing midfield in a 4-3-3. I thought he was a striker, but I believe he has been playing mid for the u-20's as well, has a switch been made? (Is this off topic?)

It certainly isn't any less on-topic than ranting about MLS releasing players. Anyway, the last 4 or 5 match reports I've seen from the Heerenveen reserves have listed Johnson in the same position and referred to him as "middenvelder". I think it is probably the right spot for him, as he doesn't strike me as a pure striker, but still needs to be in the middle of the pitch, making things happen.

Archived