New Stadium in Victoria?

Grizzly

West Shore wonder: State-of-the-art sports facility expected to house stadium and velodrome

Mark Johnston, administrator of the Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre, explains the stadium/multi-purpose field house proposal yesterday.

Mark Johnston, administrator of the Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre, explains the stadium/multi-purpose field house proposal yesterday.

Photograph by : Ray Smith, Times Colonist

Sharie Epp, Times Colonist

Published: Thursday, September 21, 2006

Represented as a bargain-priced facility that would be the envy of North America, plans for a new stadium and field house at Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre look good on paper. Now the real work starts.

Politicians, special interest groups, and media packed the Juan de Fuca field house on Wednesday for a press

conference held by the West Shore Parks and Recreation Society, made up of representatives from Colwood, Langford, Metchosin, and Highlands, and the West Shore Economic Development Association. With detailed illustrations, the groups presented their ambitious plan to replace the current velodrome cycling track with the West Shore Stadium and Multi Sport Field House.

The 10,000-seat stadium would be suitable for Canadian football, rugby, soccer, and field lacrosse, while plans for the attached field house include an indoor wooden velodrome, plus an multi-sport infield, the size of four basketball courts. In addition, architect Vic Davies, who designed popular Bear Mountain Arena, has the field house roof cantilevered over the stadium bleachers, providing a covered area for 3,500 spectators. The two facilities would share change rooms, offices, and washrooms.

The estimated cost is $3 million for the stadium, and another $9 million for the field house, with a completion date of 2009 or 2010.

"I'm urging you people -- when we need money, when we go out for help, support us," said Colwood businessman Bob Saunders, who was described by WEDA CEO Peter Fibiger as the wings beneath the project. "We need to recognize kids that are involved in sport."

Saunders and the WEDA have spent about two years working on the stadium concept, and now they are going after the funding to make it a reality. So far, besides the public land for the buildings, the only local taxpayer money involved is $700,000 already earmarked for replacement of the worn turf in the infield of the velodrome, which was constructed for the Commonwealth Games in 1994. If plans for the stadium proceed, that money would likely be transferred to the new facility.

Otherwise the group, which has set spring as a deadline for the dollars-to-doughnuts study, expects to apply for funds from government Olympic programs such as LiveSites and 2010 Olympic Opportunities Now, and develop regional, provincial, and national business partnerships. Fibiger said the $12-million price tag is an "extreme

bargain," thanks to having the stadium lighting and most of the drainage already in place, and using an economical-style exterior for the field house, similar to the tin-sided Bear Mountain Arena. As far as more parking, talks are ongoing with the DND next door.

"The intent from the beginning is to make this happen without further burdening the taxpayers of this community. Our goal is to make this happen," Fibiger said.

It all sounds great in theory, but bike racer and trainer Jason Anson voiced the worry of the cycling community that the velodrome would be razed for the stadium, and the money would run out before the field house was built. He said the prevailing opinion that the current track is outdated for international events is misguided, as only World Cup races need a smaller-sized oval.

"We are the cycling capital of Canada," Anson said. "It's incredibly important for us to take a lead role."

A potential West Shore home for Canadian cycling program is just one of the national links being explored for the new facility. Internationally, most events require a minimum of 10,000 seats, and the stadium would be a given to play host to prestigious competitions. Locally, the Victoria Rebels football club is expected to be a tenant, and gridiron exploits might include a B.C. Lions training camp or CFL exhibition game. If the dollars match the vision, the possibilities are boundless.

"We're going to be the envy of North America," Saunders said. "Let's move forward."

I think you could justify a USL 1 team in Victoria, based strictly on geographics with Vancouver, Seattle, Portland and Northern California. I would love the Vancouver-Victoria Rivalry to be renewed. If Victoria can average 5,000+ for the Salmon Kings, they can attract 3500 for soccer, and that would more than a few USL teams.

By the way, was the only one who missed the fact that the U-20 World Championship group games in Victoria will now be played at Royal Athletic Park?

You may get your wish, for a USL1 team in Victoria - especially if the Whitecaps move up to MLS once they get their new Waterfront Stadium.

If the Abbotsford Mariners can play in the PDL out of the 2,000 seat stadium in Abbotsford there's no reason why a Victoria PDL team can't play out of your existing facilities. No PDL team needs a 10,000 seat facility.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

You may get your wish, for a USL1 team in Victoria - especially if the Whitecaps move up to MLS once they get their new Waterfront Stadium.

If the Abbotsford Mariners can play in the PDL out of the 2,000 seat stadium in Abbotsford there's no reason why a Victoria PDL team can't play out of your existing facilities. No PDL team needs a 10,000 seat facility.

I agree -- a PDL club realistically doesn't need more than what already exists in Victoria. This new park in Victoria would clearly be sufficient for a USL Div 1 club. Finding an owner and making it work financially is another set of issues, but they would be fine regarding a venue.

Jason

quote:Politicians concede stadium may need tax dollars

Bill Cleverley, Times-Colonist

Published: Friday, September 22, 2006

The dream is to do it with private-sector funds, but local politicians concede building a proposed $12-million stadium/velodrome without West Shore taxpayers kicking in cash will take some fancy footwork.

If it comes to it, Langford Mayor Stew Young says he would probably support local taxpayers contributing to the proposal announced this week. Young calls it a "huge" project and said pulling it off is doable but won’t be easy.

"The best chance they’ll ever have to get it so it’s provincially and federally funded is now," he said. "You wouldn’t get it after 2010, [Olympics year] so their timing is perfect."

Colwood Mayor Jody Twa agreed with Young that building the project without having to ask for local tax dollars is a long shot.

"We’re talking about a plan that is $12 million. ... Realistically, will the federal government write a $12 million cheque?" said Twa. "I think it probably will require [local] public funding."

Both Twa and Highlands Mayor Mark Cardinal said going to their residents for stadium funds would be a tough sell.

"The Highlands has struggled. We barely passed the referendum for the [bear Mountain] Arena. So to ask my community to put funds into this would be the $64,000 question," said Cardinal.

As it stands, the plan for a 10,000-seat stadium that could accommodate everything from football to rugby and field lacrosse, with an adjacent field house, is nothing more than a concept — financial details to come next spring.

The Juan de Fuca Parks and Recreation Society’s only commitment to the project is relatively small — essentially providing the site. The stadium would be built where the velodrome built for the 1994 Commonwealth Games stands. The velodrome needs its infield artificial turf replaced anyway, at a cost of about $700,000. JdF officials say the actual velodrome site could be better used if the ends were blown off the cycling track, and the field — which already has drainage and lighting — was expanded to accommodate a full-size football or soccer field.

The stadium idea is coming from the private sector. The West Shore Economic Development Association wants to transform the West Shore into a sports tourism mecca. Association CEO Peter Fibiger says the project "absolutely" can be built without local tax dollars but that the financial plan is still being developed.

Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard, chairman of the B.C. Municipal Finance Authority, the lender to municipal governments, said one of the difficulties the project will face is that it doesn’t fit into many existing funding programs.

"The federal/provincial infrastructure programs has been rolled over, but that would be a maximum of $2 million — one million provincial and one million federal. The gas tax money would not apply because it’s mostly for green transportation. Green funds federally would not apply. The provincial government LiveSites grants would apply but they’ve only been in the tens of thousands of dollars. So they’ve been small projects," Leonard said.

That means searching for federal or provincial funds outside existing programs, and that’s a tough lobby, he said.

"With the federal/provincial infrastructure program there’s a form to fill out and you get in line. When there isn’t a form to fill out. that means there’s no program that it fits."

While it's not in the greatest of locations relative to downtown Victoria, based on the rate at which things get built in that area and the boom it's currently undergoing, this thing will probably be up and built long before the Whitecaps Stadium is.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

If this gets built, I would expect someone to attempt to start a PDL club in Victoria.

Why?

The PCSL already has a club here and frankly the slight bump in level of competition could in no way compensate for the huge rise in costs. Amateur soccer in Victoria can only draw so many fans and attract a certain level of sponsorhip money.

Professional soccer might do better and it is an issue I am sure we will be discussing around this town over the coming months.

But Ted seriously, you know the scene there. You saw the Vistas draw more than some current USL teams. You see the embarassment of rich talent Victoria has with their climate and clubs. Surely, Victoria could push for a USL 1 club. A 10,000 seat stadium, teams nearby in Seattle Vancouver and Portland and Northern California?

They're one philanthropist away from having a great club, and I hope Ted, you'd be a part of the group. A new Vancouver-Victoria rivalry would be magic.

I understand the comparison, and he's right...the PCSL is a good product and good fit for Victoria with the economics etc.. I wish the entire PCSL could somehow fall under the USL umbrella, or its own PDL league just for the sake of continuity, shared costs etc.

By the way Richard, you do a great job with the web-site!

Ted/Daniel - I am curious when the name was changed from Lower Island Selects (at least at the metro level) to Victoria United. was this simply a name change, or was there a club format change as well?

a stadium is something i'd be absolutely thrilled to see in victoria. i really don't see why they couldn't support a 5000 seat USL stadium in victoria - with ferry costs/time they aren't in much danger of losing support when (yes WHEN) vancouver joins the MLS.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I understand the comparison, and he's right...the PCSL is a good product and good fit for Victoria with the economics etc.. I wish the entire PCSL could somehow fall under the USL umbrella, or its own PDL league just for the sake of continuity, shared costs etc.

By the way Richard, you do a great job with the web-site!

Thanks. The advantage of keeping the PCSL independent is that the league is able to remain its own master, answerable only to its member clubs, and can keep costs down. Any involvement with the USL (or CSL for that matter) would immediately increase participation costs by many orders of magnitude and I don't believe either would bring any particular advantages to our member clubs.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I am curious when the name was changed from Lower Island Selects (at least at the metro level) to Victoria United. was this simply a name change, or was there a club format change as well?

The name change came about with an agreement between Victoria United (of which I am currently VP) and LISA (Lower Island Soccer Association) to re-brand all LISA select teams (Metro, Y-League etc) with a distinctive and well-respected name.

The relationship is currently hands-off in terms of organization but we are hoping in the next year to make improved and more regular connections between the senior and U21 teams and the LISA Victoria United teams. Specifically coaching and mentoring opportunities by our senior and U21 players working with the youth players.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

But Ted seriously, you know the scene there. You saw the Vistas draw more than some current USL teams. You see the embarassment of rich talent Victoria has with their climate and clubs. Surely, Victoria could push for a USL 1 club. A 10,000 seat stadium, teams nearby in Seattle Vancouver and Portland and Northern California?

They're one philanthropist away from having a great club, and I hope Ted, you'd be a part of the group. A new Vancouver-Victoria rivalry would be magic.

I could not agree with you more on this topic. I would be happy to make a presentation to any philanthropist who would even consider such an investment.

:D

Of course the Van-Vic rivalry would have to played out in the new open cup competiton Pipe spoke of but that would just add to the delight: Wow, not only did we win our derby game but we knocked an MLS team out of the cup!

interesting notes on the unification there in victoria, ted. thanks. this is something similar as to what is happening in chilliwack. the youth soccer association here has begun a collaboration with the fvsl premier team. to be honest, i think it won't help in the long run and believe the cysa should begin their own men's program as the current men's program, while successful on the pitch, is a bit of a farce.

Archived