2006 CIS Thread

EZmac

I know there has got to be some fans out there.

I'll try to keep this thread going as best as I can, especially in regards to the Canada West.

WEEK ONE starts this weekend

http://cis.infinityprosports.com/2004/index.php?page=schedule&season_id=2006&sport_name=msoccer

No Top Ten yet. Will UBC repeat as Champion this season?

2006 Nationals will be hosted by the University of Alberta Nov. 9-12

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope the two local schools U de Moncton and Mount A can win 6 games combined. Man they've been biting the last 5 or 6 years. I can't understand U de M with students from all over French speaking Africa, Asia and Caribbean you'd think they'd be able to convince more who grew up with soccer to play? (or maybe I'm stereo-typing)

But look to UPEI, UNB, Saint Mary's, and Memorial to be the class in '06.

Anyway looking forward to a good year as this is the highest level of soccer I get to see live.

Of the 11 member AUS only St. Thomas is not fielding a team this year. So with Acadia in this year the conference is up one to ten teams.

In the Quebec Conference, it will be Montreal University, Mcgill and Laval Rouge et Or who'll be the teams to watch.

Montreal is the most talented team playing very effective soccer, tough team to beat. Great coach too.

Mcgill didn't qualified for the playoffs last year, look for them to do better this year. Don't know much about their players.

Laval will have a lot of players, about 10, who played together this summer in the Provincial Premier Division with Royal Beauport, who finished 2nd and are still on the hunt for a berth to the Challenge Cup. They returned a lot of players who were last year team who went to the Nationals.

UQAM, Sherbrooke and UQTR are always tough team to beat and this league should be very close this year.

In Canada West UofA, Trintity Western, and UBC will likely be the favortites.

Trinity usually has the early edge because of there extended preseason. They've lost some key players but appear to have picked up some quality players in College Transfers.

UBC is always tough and will likely be again. They always have tremendous depth and they haven't lost too many players (I believe) from their Championship winning team.

UofA is also always competitive and with their automatic birth to Nationals this year look for them to build for the end of the season. Three key players who won a championship in 2003 and took a year off have returned.

Honorable metion goes to UVic who had a transition year last year. With Bruce Wilson coaching, who knows the Canada West game better than anyone. They could make an impact.

2nd Honorable mention goes to the UofS who had a very young squad last year and could cause some surprises.

I should mention that throughout the school year both Rogers Television French and English stations in N-B Saturday nights are AUS nights although no schedules have been released.

EDIT: I keep forgetting stuff.....

The assistant coach of Mount A has stepped down to take over Men's and Women's teams at Atlantic Baptist Universty who play not in AUS but in ACAA.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

University College of the Fraser Valley is a new addition to the CanWest conference. They have excellent coaching, and facilities. http://www.ucfv.bc.ca/athletics/Intercol/msoc.htm. Alan Errington has just won two consecutive national metro/select championships with Abbotsford Mariners. UCFV will acquit itself very well.

Interesting note on this. Because there are now 4 teams from BC the prairie teams of UofA, UofC, UofS, and UofL will now make two trips over the course of the season to BC rather than one. The four prairie Universities would used to have to play 3 games in 4 days when they went to the BC coast. A very demanding schedule. This used be one advantage BC teams used to have. It was almost impossible to come out of that trip with three positive results.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

University College of the Fraser Valley is a new addition to the CanWest conference. They have excellent coaching, and facilities. http://www.ucfv.bc.ca/athletics/Intercol/msoc.htm. Alan Errington has just won two consecutive national metro/select championships with Abbotsford Mariners. UCFV will acquit itself very well.

Interesting note on this. Because there are now 4 teams from BC the prairie teams of UofA, UofC, UofS, and UofL will now make two trips over the course of the season to BC rather than one. The four prairie Universities would used to have to play 3 games in 4 days when they went to the BC coast. A very demanding schedule. This used be one advantage BC teams used to have. It was almost impossible to come out of that trip with three positive results.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I should mention that throughout the school year both Rogers Television French and English stations in N-B Saturday nights are AUS nights although no schedules have been released.

Rogers 22 (Ottawa) will be showing the only soccer games on the OUA/Rogers Television schedule (as of tonight anyway):

October 4

Women's Soccer – Ottawa @ Carleton – 3 pm

October 7

Men's/Women's Soccer – Queen’s @ Carleton – 8 pm

I believe we are doing the Ottawa v Carleton game live with the Queen's games tape delayed.

If the Ravens host a playoff game it is possible we may get lucky and do that too.

Cheers,

GWS

PS: On a personal note, I was hoping we would do the Carleton v UofT game in late October. Could be a terrific game with first place overall on the line. However, it doesn't look like we will be unless Rogers adds more games.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Carleton (OUA Champions from last year) have played a few preseason games already. They beat York 1-0, Concordia 5-0 and tied UQAM 1-1. Their season begins on September 2nd against Nipissing.

The realignment back to two divisions in Ontario has seen UofT return to the East (as they were before the split to four divisions) to face the Ravens. Interestingly enough York (who were in the East like UofT) didn't return, instead going to the Western Division with Western.

These teams were the semi-finalists last year and one would expect the Ontario champion to come from this group of four.

Top 10 #1: Defending champs Victoria, UBC lead first rankings

OTTAWA (CIS) - The defending national champion University of Victoria Vikes (women) and University of British Columbia Thunderbirds (men) find themselves atop the first Canadian Interuniversity Sport soccer Top 10s of the 2006 season.

The Vikes, which claimed their first-ever CIS title a year ago with a 3-0 shutout of Ottawa in the national final, host UBC on Saturday to kick off the regular season.

Week one of CIS women's soccer saw 15 games played in the Ontario conference, with the tenth-ranked Carleton Ravens emerging as the only team with an unblemished 2-0-0 record.

The Thunderbird men, which captured their CIS-record 10th national banner in 2005 with a 2-1 victory over Toronto, open their regular schedule on Thursday against CIS newcomers, the University College of the Fraser Valley (UCFV) Cascades. Top-ranked UBC is also set to visit No. 3 Trinity Western on Saturday.

Thirteen games were played in Ontario on the opening weekend of CIS men's soccer, with the No. 2 Toronto Varsity Blues, Brock Badgers and Western Mustangs posting two wins apiece.

WOMEN'S SOCCER

(regular season record)

1. Victoria (0-0-0)

2. Ottawa (1-0-1)

3. McGill (0-0-0)

4. Calgary (0-0-0)

5. UBC (0-0-0)

6. Alberta (0-0-0)

7. Cape Breton (0-0-0)

8. Western (1-0-1)

9. StFX (0-0-0)

10. Carleton (2-0-0)

MEN'S SOCCER

(regular season record)

1. UBC (0-0-0)

2. Toronto (2-0-0)

3. Trinity Western (0-0-0)

4. UPEI (0-0-0)

5. Montreal (0-0-0)

6. Saint Mary's (0-0-0)

7. Carleton (1-0-1)

8. Laval (0-0-0)

9. Western (2-0-0)

10. Alberta (0-0-0)

-CIS-

I played 4 years in the AUS and went to three national championships with SMU. Based on what I have seen and heard around here is that the league isn't as stong as it has been in the past few years. Since 2000, the AUS has faired quite well nationally (two silvers and a bronze in 6 years), but it seems that it may be a period of building for more than one of the tradtionally strong sides. That being said, I don't have much to compare it to as I haven't seen other teams around the country. As we all know the rankings that the CIS use are dodgy at best (its not their fault)due to the fact that there is no interleague play (at least not out east). Either way I'm looking forward to seeing what happens this season. Go huskies!

Week 2 schedule: The official start for all conferences.

http://cis.infinityprosports.com/2004/index.php?page=schedule&season_id=2006&sport_name=msoccer

Reigning champ UBC open with a bang, spoil UCFV debut

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - The reigning CIS men's soccer champion UBC Thunderbirds successfully started their title defence on Thursday night as they blanked CIS newcomers, the University College of the Fraser Valley Cascades 4-0 in the opening game of the 2006 Canada West regular season schedule.

After a Fraser Valley goal was negated on an off-side call, the momentum swung in favour of the national champions, who scored four times for the season opening victory.

With just over five minutes remaining in the first half of a scoreless game, the four-hundred plus crowd in attendance thought the Cascades took an early lead. Fraser Valley freshman Karl Bardossy's (Mission) goal was waved off with an offside call. UBC capitalized on the dejected Cascades by pocketing two goals to end the half.

UBC freshman mid-fielder Spencer Nebel (Port Moody) scored twice to send Fraser Valley into the locker rooms trailing 2-0. Nebel's first came in the 41st minute and notched his second in added time. The senior-laden UBC squad controlled much of the possession and out-shot Fraser Valley 9-1 in the period.

Early in the second Cascades keeper Estevan Garcia (Abbotsford) denied UBC on a penalty kick attempt by Steve Frazao (Port Moody). Garcia dove to his left to make the initial save and quickly returned to his feet to deny the rebound attempt. Ten minutes later the former All-Canadian Frazao would solve Garcia, finding the top right corner from 15 yards out in the 75th minute. Michael Elliot (Vancouver) scored the fourth goal for UBC in the 78th minute.

To celebrate the historic occasion of the inaugural CIS game for the Cascades, UCFV's Board of Governors was on hand to take part in a pre-game ceremony. Dedicated Cascades fans UCFV President Skip Bassford and Board Chair Rob Nicklom participated in a ceremonial first kick-off.

Fraser Valley resumes CIS action Saturday, September 9 with a battle against another recent national champion. The 2004 CIS gold medalist University of Victoria Vikes will meet up with the Cascades for a 1:30 p.m. match at Rotary Stadium.

NOTES:

Six freshman started for the Cascades... UBC meanwhile started six seniors... UBC keeper Serge Djekanovic (Vancouver) picked up the shut-out with five saves... Garcia made 12 saves... Fraser Valley was out-shot 23-6... cautions were issued to the Cascades' Matt Hunt (Pitt Meadows) and Nick Turner (Abbotsford).

-30-

Source :

Mike Tucker

Marketing Coordinator/Sports Information Director

University College of the Fraser Valley Cascades

The Rogers Moncton French (channel 9) schedule is out. No soccer and it's not AUS/SUA night. It's Soirée Rogers chez les Aigles Bleus.

So it's 8 hockey games 6 mens, 2 womens and 5 volleyball, 3 womens and 2 mens....sucks. Mind you there's quite a few left as TBA. I'll just have to make sure I go to soccer games.

Can't wait to find out the English (channel 10) is all UNB hockey and basketball oh yeah and U de M and UNB swimmimg ;)

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Carleton lost 2-1 to Queen's on the weekend to take their record to 1-1-1.

Carleton's biggest problem this year will be scoring goals.

Top two strikers from last season gone and they will struggle in that department.

Still say it will come down to UofT, Carleton and Queen's from the East.

PS: What the h*ll is going on at York???????

Reigning champs Victoria, UBC remain atop rankings

OTTAWA (CIS) - The defending national champion University of Victoria Vikes (women) and University of British Columbia Thunderbirds (men) remain atop the Canadian Interuniversity Sport soccer rankings for a second consecutive week.

The Vikes women (1-0-0) opened the 2006 regular season with an impressive 2-0 win over No. 6 UBC on Saturday. Top-ranked Victoria stays at home this weekend as Regina (0-2-0) and Manitoba (1-1-0) pay a visit.

Also of note this past week in CIS women's soccer, the Alberta Pandas blanked provincial rivals, the Calgary Dinos 1-0 on Sunday. With the victory, Alberta (2-0-0) moves up two spots to No. 4 in the Top 10, while Calgary (1-1-0) loses one position to No. 5.

The QSSF will join the three other CIS conferences in regular-season action this weekend. The No. 3 McGill Martlets open at home versus Sherbrooke on Friday night.

On the men's side, the reigning champion Thunderbirds are off to a perfect 2-0-0 start following a 4-0 shutout of CIS newcomer UCFV and a huge 1-0 win over the No. 6 Trinity Western Spartans. Trinity Western (1-1-0) was ranked third in the country entering the contest.

No. 1 UBC hosts Victoria (1-1-0) on Saturday.

Also of note in men's soccer, the Western Ontario Mustangs (3-0-1) leapfrog all the way to No. 3 from ninth place in this week's poll following a 3-0 win over McMaster and a scoreless tie against the No. 8 Brock Badgers (2-0-2).

The regular season kicks off in Quebec on the men's side as well this weekend. The No. 4 Montreal Carabins are the top-ranked team from La Belle Province.

WOMEN'S SOCCER

(regular season record) / (previous week) / (points in voting)

1. Victoria (1-0-0) / (1) / (50 pts)

2. Ottawa (3-0-2) / (2) / (41 pts)

3. McGill (0-0-0) / (3) / (40 pts)

4. Alberta (2-0-0) / (6) / (38 pts)

5. Calgary (1-1-0) / (4) / (21 pts)

6. UBC (0-1-0) / (5) / (19 pts)

7. Queen's (3-0-0) / (NR) / (13 pts)

8. Memorial (2-0-0) / (NR) / (11 pts)

9. StFX (1-1-0) / (9) / (10 pts)

10. McMaster (2-0-2) / (NR) / (8 pts)

Other teams receiving votes: Carleton, Laurier, Trinity Western, Western Ontario.

MEN'S SOCCER

(regular season record) / (previous week)

1. UBC (2-0-0) / (1)

2. Toronto (4-0-0) / (2)

3. Western Ontario (3-0-1) / (9)

4. Montreal (0-0-0) / (5)

5. UPEI (1-0-0) / (4)

6. Trinity Western (1-1-0) / (3)

7. Saint Mary's (1-0-1) / (6)

8. Brock (2-0-2) / (NR)

9. Alberta (1-0-1) / (10)

10. UQAM (0-0-0) / (NR)

-30-

Links for stories on the UofA games.

On their 1-1 tie with UofL: http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Soccer/Men/?pt=news&ID=2056

On their 1-0 over UofC: http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Soccer/Men/?pt=news&ID=2061

Weekend wrap up: http://www.gateway.ualberta.ca/view.php?aid=6338

And I guess the AUS guys are too good for the rest of us so I'll let them do their own thing.

quote:Originally posted by EZmac

And I guess the AUS guys are too good for the rest of us so I'll let them do their own thing.

I'm still here kinda ;) GO......MOUNTIES [B)]

I have a question for OUA guys.

For some reason in my head York was always the YEOMEN, when did they become the LIONS? and why Yeomen was unique.

Archived