2006 CIS Thread

EZmac

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Excellent results from what has often been a "killer" week-end to the coast.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this year the weekend is not as "killer" for the prarie teams. With the addition of UCFV there are now two trips to the coast rather than the old 3 games in 4 days. Already Alberta and Calgary have seen success on thier trips to BC.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

TWU should be top 10. They were fantastic.

Their #10 in the holding midfield role is roy keane incarnate.

Stefan Leslie was brilliant at right wing.

Agree that TWU should be top 10, as well as all 4 top CanWest teams. CanWest is the best conference in CIS.

#10 from TWU Nick Perugini is an excellent player. Sprays the ball with his left foot to all parts of the field. I think he could get more involved offensively though.

I was very impressed with Stefan Leslie when he played in Edmonton, definately quick. Saw him start at the back and run through 3 defenders then take a strike on net only to be denied be the side mesh of the goal. Impressive.

UCFV are going to struggle. 3 to 4 years is a long time to wait.

In men's soccer, the Alberta Golden Bears (5-0-3) leapfrog over no less than five teams to earn their first No. 1 ranking of the campaign following a huge 3-1 road victory over former No. 1 and defending CIS champion UBC. The Bears also blanked Victoria 2-0 on the weekend.

MEN'S SOCCER

(regular season record) / (previous week)

1. Alberta (5-0-3) / (6)

2. Montreal (4-0-1) / (4)

3. Toronto (6-1-1) / (2)

4. UBC (4-1-2) / (1)

5. Western Ontario (6-1-2) / (3)

6. Brock (6-1-2) / (7)

7. Cape Breton (5-1-2) / (9)

8. Calgary (5-2-1) / (5)

9. Dalhousie (5-1-1) / (10)

10. Queen's (6-2-1) / (NR)

I don't think the AUS deserves to have any teams in the top 10 this year. They will get blown out at the CIS tournament in November. Canada West really seems to be strong this year. Of course anyone who's watched a CIS tournament the last few years know the Carabins of U de Montreal are always a great team, but have a tendency to lose their cool when things get heated. I think Canada West has a good chance for a 1-2 finish at nationals this year, and could probably send 4 teams that could legitimatly compete for the title.

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

I don't think the AUS deserves to have any teams in the top 10 this year. They will get blown out at the CIS tournament in November. Canada West really seems to be strong this year. Of course anyone who's watched a CIS tournament the last few years know the Carabins of U de Montreal are always a great team, but have a tendency to lose their cool when things get heated. I think Canada West has a good chance for a 1-2 finish at nationals this year, and could probably send 4 teams that could legitimatly compete for the title.

That maybe true about the AUS/SUA but rankings in Canada are ususally political anyway. A top ten list almost always has teams from every Conference. Since they don't play any inter-conference games how do we know untill they actually play each other.

Truthfully as much as I'd be over-whelmed if an AUS/SUA team did well at the nationals. I'm just as happy if Halifax schools get shut-out of the AUS/SUA championship.....

Did I getcha goin' ;)

quick question: when will SFU be playing in CanWest? They play basketball in Canada now - as well as football.

UCFV's wait of 3-4 years for success will all be forgotten once the success does come. Fraser Valley/Lower Mainland has a huge cache of talent and can easily be spread among UBC, SFU, TWU, and UCFV (as well as uvic to an extent).

Not to mention luring players from out of province/country.

Actually I was yanking your chain a bit. NS schools traditionly put more emphasis on their sports programs then NB schools. Well unless Moncton or UNB has a bad year in hockey. I think the whole STU sports budget goes on hockey. Mount A tends to treat sports almost as an intra-mural thing, but they have fun. But hey Mount A still gets 1,500-2,000 to show up to see the football team loose and Moncton, UNB and STU get 1,500-2,000 to show up for hockey. Too bad outside of UNB the others don't even try to improve their soccer.

When I played AUAA.....Hockey, not soccer....I'll always remember those games at Allison Gardens, rough and tumble ....... well that was in pre-historic times.

Unbeaten teams in Canada:

Saint Mary's 3-0-3

Montreal 6-0-1 (they haven't conceded a goal in 7 games, very impressive stuff)

Laval 2-0-5 (weird results....but still unbeaten)

Alberta 5-0-3

The battle for the Nationals spot is very tight in Ontario, Atlantic and the West. There's only in Quebec where Montreal looks like they've locked their spot to the Championship. I don't know if the Quebec conference is weak but Montreal results are impressive (apart for 0-0 with Laval they've won all their games 5-0, 5-0, 4-0, 3-0, 3-0 and 2-0), that's a scary team.

Pat Raimondo is in fact the most arrogant coach I ever met, a total dick.

Boubacar is excellent, LeGeoff a french player who played in CFA in France (that would be third division I think) is pretty good too, they also have Olivier Babineau (Canada U-20's) and Gerry Argento in goal (MTL Impact third keeper).

I think they're the best team in Canada on paper, the easier Quebec Conference might allow them to rest some of their players for the Nats....something some others team won't be able to afford I feel.

A reason their so good, I know when I was in Montral for the CIS tournament in Montreal in 2003, was most of their players were in their late 20's or even 30's while the other teams were mostly teenagers and guys in their early 20's. They also get quite a few good African players. It seems they were easy to wind up and lost their tempers pretty easily however.

Top Ten Tuesday: Undefeated Carabins take lead in men's soccer

OTTAWA (CIS) - An impressive shutout streak has propelled the University of Montreal Carabins to the top of the CIS men's soccer charts for the first time in two years.

The Carabins (6-0-1), who leapfrog past the Alberta Golden Bears (5-0-3) to grab first place in this week's coaches poll, have yet to allow a single goal after seven games this season following back-to-back whitewashes over McGill.

Over the past 20 years, only three teams have opened the regular season with longer shutout streaks in CIS men's soccer: UBC allowed its first goal in its 10th and final game of the 1993 schedule; Saint Mary's was scored on in its ninth outing of the 1989 campaign; York allowed its first goal in the 90th minute of its eighth duel in 2005.

No. 1 Montreal is led by goalkeeper Gerry Argento. The Montreal native, who has posted five shutout wins in as many outings this fall, is the reigning CIS rookie of the year and has been a backup keeper with the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer League the last three seasons.

The Carabins lineup also includes the 2004 CIS player of the year, midfielder Boubacar Coulibaly, back after a one-year absence.

Montreal will try to make it eight straight goose eggs on Sunday against cross-town rival UQAM (2-2-3).

MEN'S SOCCER

(regular season record) / (previous rankings)

1. Montreal (6-0-1) / (2)

2. Alberta (5-0-3) / (1)

3. Toronto (7-1-3) / (3)

4. Brock (6-1-3) / (6)

5. UBC (4-1-3) / (4)

6. Western Ontario (6-1-3) / (5)

7. Cape Breton (5-1-2) / (7)

8. Calgary (5-2-1) / (8)

9. Dalhousie (5-1-1) / (9)

10. Carleton (6-1-2) / (NR)

Montreal for the past 3 years has been very talented and it again appears that way. They have enetered Nationals highly ranked but have failed to perform. Perhaps this was due to the fact that their conference has tended to be weaker and they have not had to work hard to win. This may have caught up to them at nationals because they did not know how to win tight games or how to turn it up.

I think we will see this again this year especially considering Nationals are in Edmonton in November! Montreal likes to pass it around and use their skill. When the ball is frozen and the turf is frozen this is not an option especially when the final is pegged to be played on grass (although field turf is an option if there are very bad conditions). I'll say it now, the team that will win this year will be a team that is very direct and can deal with conditions. This is the nature of CIS soccer played in fall in Canada.

In men's soccer, the Montreal Carabins (7-0-1) finally gave up a goal in 2006 but hold on to the No. 1 position for a second week. The Carabins had opened conference play with seven straight shutouts before defeating UQAM 3-1 on Sunday.

The reigning Quebec champions put their unbeaten record on the line against Concordia (0-6-2) and Laval (3-1-5) this weekend. Laval is the only team to take points away from Montreal this season, as the first head-to-head match-up ended in a scoreless tie on Sept. 24.

MEN'S SOCCER

1. Montreal (7-0-1) / (1)

2. Alberta (7-0-3) / (2)

3. Brock (7-1-4) / (4)

4. UBC (6-1-3) / (5)

5. Toronto (8-2-3) / (3)

6. Carleton (7-1-3) / (10)

7. Cape Breton (6-1-3) / (7)

8. Saint Mary's (6-0-3) / (NR)

9. Western Ontario (7-2-3) / (6)

10. Trinity Western (6-3-1) / (NR)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Laval lost 2-0 to UQTR and we have now only 3 remaining undefeated teams in Canada:

Montreal

Alberta

St-Mary's

The last time St Marys lost in the regular season was midway through the 2004 season. In conference play I think they have something like 1 loss in 3 or 4 years, and at the most 3 or 4 losses in the last 6 years or so. Their CIS record was even amazing in 2000, 2001, 2003, 0 full time losses, including a shootout loss in the final, 3rd place by vitue of goal differential with 0 losses the entire season and a double overtime loss in the final in 2003, although in their last 2 appearences, they only finished 4th and 5th, still that winning record over the past few years must shatter some records.

Canada West Soccer: Week 6 Review

by Gord Franson, Canada West Soccer Office

There were four games each on Saturday and Sunday, starting with Alberta at Calgary where in a battle of CIS ranked teams. Calgary had complete control over the first 30 minutes, but could not finish up on their chances, which included two clear breaks and another shot that deflected off the post. The Golden Bears found the net 37 minutes in when Erik Kuhn scored from a free kick. In the second half Calgary evened the score at the 68-minute mark as Matt Reid scored from a corner kick scramble. Nine minutes later Alberta was handed a penalty shot and Junior Castrillon put it away for a 2-1 Bears advantage. Calgary pushed for the equalizer, but a defensive mistake by Calgary gave Alberta another chance at the 84-minute mark and Castrillon scored his second in the game to put it out of reach in a 3-1 win for Alberta. Another prairie game featured Saskatchewan at Lethbridge, where they played a scoreless first half despite numerous chances. In the second Saskatchewan took advantage of a Lethbridge mistake to go up 1-0 on a goal by Steve Irinici and, 20 minutes later the Huskies added to their lead as Jordan Schidlowski made it 2-0. Keeper Derrick Ng gained a shutout for Saskatchewan in a 2-0 win. Trinity Western was at UBC in what was the Game of the Week. The teams tested one another early, but no goals came until the Spartans got an own goal at the 32-minute mark. UBC quickly equaled the score five minutes later as Nick Poole buried one and, just a minute later, TWU went ahead again when Nic Perugini scored for a 2-1 halftime edge. Just 15 minutes into the second the T-Birds’ Mike Elliott knotted it at two. With time winding down and in time added, UBC’s Ben Hunt away a glorious opportunity for a 3-2 win over the stunned Spartans. Winless Fraser Valley was at Victoria and, in the first half, the teams traded goals as Colin Wilson of Victoria and the Cascades’ Milan Francisty scored, but at the 30-minute mark Cole McFarlane put the Vikes ahead. The second half saw Victoria score twice more as Colin Wilson and Sam Wingham each bulged the twine for a 4-1 Victoria victory.

On Sunday, Alberta was at Lethbridge, and all the scoring came within 10 minutes during the first half. Alberta was first as Erik Kuhn scored his second of the weekend, but the Pronghorns replied three minutes later as Andrew Malcolm made it 1-1. Six minutes after that Junior Castrillon scored his third goal of the weekend and second game-winner in as many days for a 2-1 Golden Bears final to remain undefeated. The Saskatchewan Huskies were at Calgary and the teams tested each other early. At the 25-minute mark Matt Deeprose headed in a goal from a corner kick from Adam MacDonald and the Dinos were up 1-0 through the opening session. At the 75-minute mark Deeprose scored again for a 2-0 Calgary lead and two minutes later Ryan Holbrook rounded out the scoring in a 3-0 win, J.P.Crescenzi earning his fourth shutout of the season. Fraser Valley went to UBC, where UCFV’s Jon Craig opened the scoring 30 minutes in, but UBC scoring machine Steve Frazao tied it a minute before the break. In the second the T-Birds took charge as Nick Poole put them ahead 2-1 at the 56-monute mark and Ben Hunt made it a 3-1 final with another in the 85th minute. The final weekend game had Trinity Western at Victoria, one that had all of the scoring in the first half. The scoring started with the Spartans getting an own goal at the 15-minute mark, much like they did early in a contest on Saturday. Trinity Western added another at the 39-minute mark when Mustafa Domirci but, only three minutes later, Kyle Langseth of Victoria narrowed the lead to 2-1. With no scoring in the second, TWU held on for a 2-1 win.

After Week 6 Alberta and British Columbia, with two victories apiece, find themselves in first and second place, respectively. Alberta, 7-0-3, has 24 points to UBC’s 21. The T-Birds are 6-1-3, with a two-point lead over Calgary and Trinity Western, which have 19. Calgary holds the tie-breaker advantage, while TWU has the final playoff spot. Still in playoff contention are fifth-place Saskatchewan, with 13 points, and sixth-place Victoria, with 11. Lethbridge and Fraser Valley have officially been eliminated from playoff contention.

In men's soccer, the Alberta Golden Bears (8-0-4) return to No. 1 after surrendering the position to the Montreal Carabins (7-0-3) two weeks ago.

The Bears edged reigning CIS champion, No. 4 UBC 2-1 and tied Victoria 4-4 over the weekend, while the Carabins had to settle for a pair of draws against Concordia and Laval.

The playoffs get under way this week in the OUA in both women's and men's soccer, while the regular season wraps up in the three other CIS conferences.

MEN'S SOCCER

1. Alberta (8-0-4) / (2)

2. Montréal (7-0-3) / (1)

3. Brock (9-1-4) / (3)

4. UBC (7-2-3) / (4)

5. Carleton (9-1-4) / (6)

6. Cape Breton (7-1-4) / (7)

7. Calgary (7-3-2) / (NC)

8. Saint Mary's (7-0-3) / (8)

9. Queen's (10-3-1) / (NC)

10. Toronto (8-3-3) / (5)

OUA FINAL STANDINGS

EAST

W-D-L   GF-GA  PTS  OUA PLAYOFFS
Queen's 10-1-3 25-11 31 Quarterfinals
Carleton 9-4-1 31-7 31 Quarterfinals
Toronto 8-3-3 26-14 27 First Round
Laurentian 5-5-4 17-19 20 First Round
Trent 4-4-6 15-21 16 First Round
Nipissing 4-2-8 25-33 14 First Round
Ryerson 3-4-7 12-19 13
RMC 0-3-11 6-33 3[/code] [b]WEST[/b]
[code] W-D-L GF-GA PTS OUA PLAYOFFS
Brock 9-4-1 22-7 31 Quarterfinals
Western 9-3-2 26-10 30 Quarterfinals
York 6-2-6 19-14 20 First Round
Windsor 5-4-5 19-13 19 First Round
Laurier 5-4-5 14-17 19 First Round
McMaster 4-2-8 12-26 14 First Round
Guelph 3-3-8 19-29 12
Waterloo 3-2-9 14-29 11

OUA PLAYOFFS

(Home teams mentioned first.)

FIRST ROUND — OCTOBER 25

EAST

Toronto 4-1 Nipissing

Laurentian 0-2 Trent

WEST

York 0-1 McMaster

Windsor 1-0 Laurier

QUARTERFINALS — OCTOBER 28

EAST

Carleton vs. Toronto

Queen's vs. Trent

WEST

Brock vs. McMaster

Western vs. Windsor

SEMIFINALS & FINALS — NOVEMBER 4 & 5

At Brock or Western or Windsor.

Cape Breton sure surprised in AUS this season to finish first. Moncton and Mount. A both have 3 in the win columns. With Les Aigles Bleus one game remaining against X and X has another game against Saint Mary's both games Tuesday and Wednesday. Make up games from when Norwalk virus swept through StFX, I think but not sure? Mount A and Acadia played one 4 point game instead of two 2 point games to make up cancelled games when Norwalk virus swept through Mount Allison.

AUS almost final standings

AUS Championship tourney is at UNB Nov 2-5th

This will be the most exciting playoffs ever, flip a coin really anyone can win. The great thing about having two AUS schools qualify for the CIS tournament is the bye isn't so important anymore. It was impossible for a 4-6 seed to win 3 days in a row, they would just flat out run out of steam by Sunday, but now only having to win 2 games in a row is realistic. I can't even make any predictions about who will advance because all of the teams seem so even this year.

What are you guy's predictions for this year's National Championships in Alberta and why? Congrats to Moncton for winning 3 straight games, including 3-0 win vs St-Marys. They hadn't won a game in like 3 years or so before the first win of this streak.

I think whoever comes out of the West will win. They've dominated the CIS tourney the last few years and have a strong league again this year plus the tournament is in their backyard. The AUS is weak, Montreal will self destruct as usual once they get there, and I don't know much about Ontario.

Archived