2006 CIS Thread

EZmac

I'm confident Montreal will come out on top this year. They won't self destruct this year and they didn't last year. UBC was good and won 1-0 with a goal in the 88th min. But Montreal had their 2 center mids and center defender injured for the game.

Ontario teams are tricky to play against, but arn't favorites in my opinion.

I havn't seen Alberta though, how are they?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's tough to judge who's favorite when we don't have out of conference game like they have in the NCAA.

Here in Quebec we have Montreal got the automatic berth and should be a contender. I don't think they are that good in attack, against quality opposition (I mean Laval University) they've only manage to score one goal in 2 games despite Laval being a man down in their first game in Montreal. I have the impression that their goal for record is boosted because of their big wins against lower teams such as Sherbrooke or Concordia.

But for the rest, they are above everyone else in Quebec. Goalkeeper is quite good, even their back up would start in pretty much every other team in the conference. The defense is quite solid, they rarely make mistakes and are very well organize. The midfield is the strongest I,ve seen in Quebec for a while, Coulibaly and LeGeoff are pretty good. I haven't seen Olivier Babineau (Canadian U-20) playing that much for them but the kid has skills so he can be a nice addition to their midfield.

Laval would be my second team out of Quebec, they seemed to upgrade their level of play when playing Montreal (two ties against UdeM) and only lost one game (to UQTR) all season. They are very strong on defense but don't expect them to score a lot. They are certainly capable of causing problems to a stronger team.

Base on past championships history and the tournament schedule, my prediction would be that the West Champion, U of Alberta, will win it all, playing Montreal in the 1/2 which will turn out to be the real final. The Ontario champion will get out of the other bracket.

Mcgill lost 2-0 and 4-0 against Montreal and were lucky (keeper mistake and a reckless red card) to draw Laval in Quebec City. I think Laval is definetly better but that should be a good game on Friday.

Glad to hear that you're a friend of Olivier, do you know if he's still part of the U-20 players pool? Are you playing yourself?

I played against Montreal in 2003 at the national finals when they hosted and they lost their temper and had a punch up when things werent going their way, look at the 5th place game against smu last year, did they not have guys sent off then too? and even the 3rd place game in 2003 they had a red card. I dont mean to generalize because I dont watch them week in and week out, but it seems that their blow their lids quite a lot. Maybe it has something to do with that arrogant dick Pat Romando (sp) he acts like he's a professional manager ever since his days back at Mcgill. I remember him in 2000 telling a member of the opposition that "he was going to kill him" very classy.

I don't like Raimondo.

From what I understand Olivier would be use as a substitute with our U20, so he'll have to fight for a spot. I hope he makes it, it would be good for NB soccer. Do you know why he was only used for 10-15 minutes in Quebec? I thought he was a starter with Montreal.

So I guess you're Maxime-Jean. Good luck against UQTR this weekend.

I don't like Raimondo.

From what I understand Olivier would be use as a substitute with our U20, so he'll have to fight for a spot. I hope he makes it, it would be good for NB soccer. Do you know why he was only used for 10-15 minutes in Quebec? I thought he was a starter with Montreal.

So I guess you're Maxime-Jean. Good luck against UQTR this weekend.

Pat is a very good guy who knows his stuff better than anyone else I know. He's also veryyyy smart. I don't know him from his Mcgill days, so I can't say anything about that, but now he's a great coach and his record proves it. Obviously he's tough but that's normal if your looking for excellence. He won the Quebec title 5 years in a row in only 6 years of existence, building a team from scratch. Like him or not that's phoenomenal. Anyways let's not start insulting people here it's not cool.

Olivier is currently fighting for a starting spot, but the fact that he isn't starting right now gives you an idea of the team's strengh and depth. He's playing better and better though. But yeah hopefully we will stay calm at nationals this year!

Thx, I guess it's not bad for a rookie but I'm not happy with my season... anyways

Laval are a better team, But McGill's Jamie Scholefield is very very good and could win the game. The match is a classic Offense vs Defense matchup. I hope Laval wins though because my friend Boris plays there. He is one of the better attackers in the league and could score one or two vs Mcgill.

MEN'S SOCCER (NOTE: final rankings of season)

(regular season record) / (previous rankings)

1. Alberta (9-0-5) / (1)

2. Montréal (9-0-3) / (2)

3. Brock (9-1-4 / 1-0 in playoffs) / (3)

4. UBC (9-2-3) / (4)

5. Cape Breton (7-1-5) / (6)

6. Queen's (10-3-1 / 1-0 in playoffs) / (9)

7. Toronto (8-3-3 / 2-0 in playoffs) / (10)

8. Calgary (7-5-2) / (7)

9. Western Ontario (9-2-3 / 1-0 in playoffs) / (NR)

10. UPEI (8-3-2) / (NR)

Laval qualfied for the Nationals with a 1-0 overtime win over Mcgill today in Quebec City. Weird game that was played on two different fields. There's no lights at PEPS stadium and since the women game that was played earlier went to overtime the men's game was delayed. At the end of regulation it's was too dark to continue the game there, so they went to another field 15 minutes away to play the overtime and Laval won.

Montreal is the other team from Quebec, taking the #1 spot by winning the league. Tonight they won 3-0 against UQTR in the other semi. Maxime scored again, congrats to one of our newest member on another goal.

Some surprises in Canada West.

TWU beat Alberta 2-0

Calgary beat UBC 1-0

So we will have a new Champion this year.

Calgary meets TWU tomorrow with the winner advancing to the CIS Nationals next weekend.

Did everyone know that its been below freezing and covered in snow here in Edmonton for the past two weeks? Should make for an interesting nationals.

Hey Guys you all seem like you know what your talking about. I am trying to create profiles for each of the teams heading to play at the CIS Championships, I have been pretty successful in gaining information on all the teams with the exception of Laval and Montreal, because all the information I can find is generally french and I struggle with the details.

I am looking for things like Formation, How goals Are Scored, Patterns of play, Key players. I am researching for a news paper article, and any information that any of you can get me would be great. I would also love information on other teams in the competition but the ones I am really intrested in are the two from Quebec. I you have talked a little bit about Montreal, but what about Laval?

Based on their results and what I read off of here, they are a good team who are well organized in defence, and are looking to win games with a single goal. They have been able to do a good job holding Montreal in thir league matches so I would expect they can actually defend, but are they dangerous going foward if so who and how.

Montreal you have talked about the team, what has made them successful? They seem to have a hand full of good players and if a U20 international is seeing limited playing time then I would assume they are good, do they have many players from the impact on that team, how will they be looking to play, who are the hot heads that you talked about before.

Thanks for your help

Hey Guys you all seem like you know what your talking about. I am trying to create profiles for each of the teams heading to play at the CIS Championships, I have been pretty successful in gaining information on all the teams with the exception of Laval and Montreal, because all the information I can find is generally french and I struggle with the details.

I am looking for things like Formation, How goals Are Scored, Patterns of play, Key players. I am researching for a news paper article, and any information that any of you can get me would be great. I would also love information on other teams in the competition but the ones I am really intrested in are the two from Quebec. I you have talked a little bit about Montreal, but what about Laval?

Based on their results and what I read off of here, they are a good team who are well organized in defence, and are looking to win games with a single goal. They have been able to do a good job holding Montreal in thir league matches so I would expect they can actually defend, but are they dangerous going foward if so who and how.

Montreal you have talked about the team, what has made them successful? They seem to have a hand full of good players and if a U20 international is seeing limited playing time then I would assume they are good, do they have many players from the impact on that team, how will they be looking to play, who are the hot heads that you talked about before.

Thanks for your help

Montreal and Laval, when they play each other looked to be the same kind of teams for the exception of Montreal midfield who's much stronger with LeGeoff and Boubacar Coulibaly. I think both teams doesn't show much on the offensive side when playing against a good defensive team. Montreal are better organized but like I,ve said they don't have a dangerous forward that can create his own chances.

BTW, Montreal won 1-0 against Laval in today's provincial final.

Prediction: Montreal will get to the final and Laval should go out early.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Montreal and Laval, when they play each other looked to be the same kind of teams for the exception of Montreal midfield who's much stronger with LeGeoff and Boubacar Coulibaly. I think both teams doesn't show much on the offensive side when playing against a good defensive team. Montreal are better organized but like I,ve said they don't have a dangerous forward that can create his own chances.

BTW, Montreal won 1-0 against Laval in today's provincial final.

Prediction: Montreal will get to the final and Laval should go out early.

Ya I second the predictions. Boubacar is also probably the best player in the CIS this year. Montreal's controlled, short passing game is quite effective and is rare in Canadian university soccer.

Archived