Who will make the most significant progress?

Canuck Oranje

Just throwing the question out there since it is the beginning of the European club season. Which Canadian players will make the most significant step in their club career by this time next year? To narrow things a little, I am talking about personal acheivement rather than just happening to be on a club that gets promoted. And to focus thought a little more, I suggest naming only 3-5 players only.

My picks:

Rob Friend, Heerenveen: This prediction has as much to do with the club that has shown confidence in him as it does anything I might know about Friend. Heerenveen has a very good record in moving players along in their careers while making progress as a club and making some good cash along the way. If Friend performs to club expectations, it is most likely that he will be with a bigger club next year.

Atiba Hutchinson, FC Copenhagen: Hutchinson is the Canadian player, in my opinion, that has shown to have the greatest upside potential, at least at this point in time. I look for him to move to a top five league or one of the traditional powerhouse clubs outside of those leagues (Ajax, Anderlecht, etc.)

Tam Nsaliwa, Panionios Athens: This is probably my most controversial pick. While it may have seemed that Nsaliwa's career had stalled over the past three years, he was a regular in Bundesliga 2, even while changing positions. Moving to the top league in Greece with a top level German coach will give him more exposure. I suspect his next move will surprise many even here in Canada. I see him moving back to the German Bundesliga or another top team outside of the big 5 leagues.

Marcel de Jong, Roda JC: I think this player is underrated by many Canadian fans. This is partly due to the fact that he was playing in the Dutch second level. However, it should not be forgotten that he did play in the PSV youth system and actually was part of the Dutch national youth pool for a time prior to his decision to play for Canada. Like Nsaliwa, his move to a starting position with a mid-table team in the top league in the Netherlands will bring him more exposure. I could see him move to a top Dutch club. Remember, he isn't 20 until October.

Comments on some others not on my list

Josh Simpson Kaiserslautern: This will be a year of consolidating his position. If he can maintain a starting position in B-2, he will be able make his move next year. While that may sound like a modest goal, it is not as easy as it sounds.

Ian Hume, Leicester: As with Simpson, he needs to strengthen is starting position at his current club. If he is not successful in doing that, it may be time for a move to Scotland.

David Edgar, Newcastle: Next year will probably be his break through year.

Jaime Peters, Ipswich: See Simpson and Hume.

There are others but I leave them to you.

Most significant progress? Kinda relative (personaly) to where they are at the begining of the season and where they'll hopefully be come next summer. All in all though I'd have to agree with all of the names you've mentioned and maybe add Johnson. Hell, for sure add Johnson.

If Hutch wasn't already ranked as high as he is (by myself and most others) I'd put him at the top of my to watch list. He could have a really, really big season along with FCK. Stay healthy, stay in the middle and go boys go.

Hume may be the other to must have on the list. Leicester are about the only club in the CCC this season which have a shot, and I'd say outside at that, at promotion for our lads. If he can get cooking, and the Foxes hit a groove he'll be under every Big Shots microscope for sure. And quick.

As far as the most significant improvement from a personal point of view, Peters. Absolutely. Considering he hasn't played nuthin' to this point, if he gets a real chance to show his stuff in Ipswich that'll be a massive step forward for him.

Probably right about Edgar. Newcastle is nursing him along. Commited to the man, no question about that, but damn it just seems so painfully slow. (Isn't realy I know but it's easy to get impatient). Next season for sure something has to give, but this year it's cross your fingers and hope.

Canuck Oranje, I really agree with your points about Rob, Atiba and Tam (not controvertial to me). Great topic idea, BTW.

The reason I might "underrate" deJong probably has to do with the modest performances he put in the U-20 Championship, despite coming to the tournament with the fanfare of being a dutch-trained pro player. Otherwise, I too will be following his progress and hope to see him get a look-see in our program again soon.

Three other players, that (I think) might make significant steps would be Gyaki, Ledgerwood and (I would include) Peters.

Gyaki: If he can stay healthy for a change, he will likely play first-team soccer this year -- especially if a loan can be secured. Reports from his club are quite glowing. He seems to have a lot of talent and promise.

Ledgerwood: He really impressed me at the U-20 tournament and appears to be listed with the big club, instead of the reserve team (unless if that changed recently). Once he gets over his current injury, he may start first-team play in B-2. I considered him to be our most senior-ready player, after the U-20's.

Peters: While he may still be another year away, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a fair bit a playing time this season, especially if the club isn't capable of making a promotion run. He has a year under his belt now (adjusting to a pro environment) and might make a big leap as early as this season.

Edgar, Johnson and Begovic will be brought along slowly and likely won't make any impact this season. Hume is a bit of a worry, to me. I hope he breaks out but am concerned that he might have stagnated a bit, after early success in his career (hope I'm wrong).

I've not much to add: I tend to agree with most of what you guys have written here. Just a couple of quick thoughts:

Atiba -- This might be the year he takes his next step, though I suspect it will happen some time next season. Without a doubt, I feel he is our most talented prospect.

Johnson -- Has the attitude and work ethic to learn sh.itloads this year, but I suspect he is a couple years away from taking the sort of strides that secure first team football.

Peters/Hume/Simpson -- As already pointed out, this speedy trio have to fight hard to settle into their starting line-ups. Peters is the youngest and arguably the one with the most potential, but Hume still has the ability to come up a notch or two, and Simpson remains a big question mark. Germay is the right place for him.

Gyaki -- Could be the sort of player to lead the future--along with Edgar--with tenaciousness and pluck and strong prescence. To hear the glowing remarks from his club about his talent and future only add hope that he might become something of a star in time. As mentioned, he needs to stay healthy.

DeJong -- Continues to quietly do his thing. He seems to mature every year--from the reports we hear--and the fact that he has cracked the firstteam in the top division at the age of 20 suggests there is still more to come from him. He seems the sort of heady footballer that we often lack, a soccer brain who should do well to cut up the midfield with incisive passes and vision. I wonder at his pace, but I've not seen him play for a couple years now.

Jono -- DeGuzman the Younger will become more consistent this year and will start to dominate in places.

In response to points made on Johnson, I think he has a lot of potential and will be a star. However, I see Johnson becoming important to Heerenveen next year, hopefully as a starter along with other youngsters that they have been quietly accumulating.

Consider all these 20 and under National team players currently with Heerenveen, they will be well positioned to cash in on some of the success of their current starting lineup by this time next year as these guys develop.

- Will Johnson, Canada

- Michael Bradley, USA

- Jereon Drost, Netherlands

- Henrico Drost, Netherlands

- Gianni Zuiverloon, Netherlands

- Thomas Prager, Austria

Great topic idea.

I believe 100% that the biggest "mover" of our canadian boys will be Jonathon Bourgault. He is the youngest member of St. Pauli first team and he has been playing regularly with them in preseason. He also subbed in today, and I think he could well be at a big club by the end of the year!

Good luck boys!!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

If Hutch wasn't already ranked as high as he is (by myself and most others) I'd put him at the top of my to watch list. He could have a really, really big season along with FCK. Stay healthy, stay in the middle and go boys go.

quote:Originally posted by The BeaverAtiba -- This might be the year he takes his next step, though I suspect it will happen some time next season. Without a doubt, I feel he is our most talented prospect.

I think ppl seem to lack a bit of knowledge about FC Copenhagen (FCK) if they think FCK are just like other Danish/Scandinavian team who often sell players to bigger teams in Europe as soon as they get a fairly good offer. You need to understand that FCK very often reject rather big offers from big teams abroad.

If you want to play for a top team in Scandinavia and be sure to get sold rather quicky, then you join Brøndby and not the 'Chelsea' of Scandinavia. while teams like Danish Brøndby and Norwegian Rosenborg produce turnovers in the area of €20 million a year, then the FCK turnover is now closer to €70 million and they are showing net profits in the area of €5 million a year, making them as rich as many of the better teams in the German Bundesliga. So unlike other Scandinavian teams, FCK are not in any need or business of selling players.

Anyway, the players who sign with FCK are never really in a hurry to move on, otherwise a Swedish NT key regular like Tobias Linderoth would not have moved from Everton to sig with FCK two years ago when he was 25 and still be quite happy playing for them now. Same goes for the 25-yo Norwegian NT regular Hangeland, 23-yo Ghana WC-06 player Razak Pimpong or Danish internationals like Gravgaard, Grønkjær, Lars Jacobsen and Jesper Christiansen. Otherwise they would not join FCK when they are in their mid or late 20's, since they all got the quality to be playing in one of the top leagues of Europe.

Hutchinson is 23, has only played 18 Superliga games so far and still got much to learn playing for FCK in the Danish league. You also need to understand that Hutchinson signed a 4½-year contract and FCK paid fairly good money for him. They do not go around buying players they expect to be regulars and then let them leave after 1½ season. They expect him to stay atleast 2½ or 3 seasons before they even start thinking if they should sell or let him stay.

My views on Hutchinson and FCK are that he would be moved in the same way as was Martin Albrechtsen to West Bromwich Albion or Christian Poulsen to Schalke. Both were moved on after two years for substantial profit.

I guess the fact that I predict that he will be moved on in one year suggests how much I see Hutchinson breaking through and being placed in the limelight this year. The bottomline is simply, if the price is high enough, any player will be moved.

Also my view on long term contracts are that they are offered to young players that are judged to have appreciating value (except in cases where players are at or after their peak) . The key is to lock that player in for 3-4 years so that you can move them for greater value down the road. Yes, a four and half year contract would allow you to hold onto a player for 2-3 years but it does stop you from moving that player if the right offer comes around. I would give the same reason for Nsaliwa's three year contract with Panionios in Greece.

true that Jonathan is only on a 3rd tier team, but the question asked was which canadian will make the biggest step in their career. This year Jonathon is going from a relatively unknown, to contributing as a sub and potentially a starter on the biggest team in the 3rd division. He is one of the youngest players in the league and I think he will be a big mover this year! As opposed to Atiba, Rob, and W. Johnson, who have already made a big step, and like you say cheeta won't be doing anything too significant in terms of a transfer for at least another year.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

My views on Hutchinson and FCK are that he would be moved in the same way as was Martin Albrechtsen to West Bromwich Albion or Christian Poulsen to Schalke. Both were moved on after two years for substantial profit.

I guess the fact that I predict that he will be moved on in one year suggests how much I see Hutchinson breaking through and being placed in the limelight this year. The bottomline is simply, if the price is high enough, any player will be moved.

Martin Albrechtsen had not done well for FCK for some time and had trouble getting in the starting 11 when he was sold to West Bromwich, so ofcause they jumped at the opportunity to earn some good $$ when they got a €3.8 million offer. So you can hardly compare this deal with Hutchinson who is a regular starter for FCK.

I think where ppl go wrong is the fact that FCK is a very young club only having excisted since the 1992/93 season and financially very slowly have progressed to where they are now. So comparing the FCK of 2001/02 when they sold Christian Poulsen to Schalke 04, with the FCK we see today, really dont make any sense. At that point in time their turnover werent even ½ as big at it is now and their main ambition was to win the Danish championship. Now their main ambition is to make it in Champions League, by signing and keeping players of Jesper Grønkjær quality.

You could argue that FCK have not yet shown any big reults in Europe, but this is not really much of a surprise, because of ther very short history and slow financial progress, they also got little EC experience making them unseeded in the big tournaments, meaning that they still draw tough to beat opponents like Hamburger SV (last season) or Ajax just to qualify for the main tournaments. While other financially fairly big teams either do not even have to play qualifiers or like financially much smaller clubs such as Brøndby and Rosenborg got a much better seeding due to past results, usually giving them fairly easy opponents on their way to the group stages of the CL or UEFA Cup.

Again, my intention was to focus on the potential improvement of a player rather than player movement.

It could very well be that Hutchinson will remain with FCK rather than move on. A signicant break through may mean that he has a far greater value to the club by this time next year than he does now. However, the opportunity to gain huge $$$ has been enough of a reason to deviate from an established plan of club development elsewhere.

Actually, your point about FCK are well taken. I think you could say the same for Heerenveen too as they have only been in the top Dutch league since 1993 and a year or two later replaced their aged stadium with a new model. They too have been strengthening over time. It is also quite possible that their board may also be considering a push to the next level (amongst the Dutch elite teams like Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, and now Alkmaar). I don't see either team having to sell players for reasons of financial need; but, simply if the opportunity was right. Heerenveen might still be a little more opportunistic than FCK in this regard.

I should add that the situation can be substantially impacted by whether FCK can pull off a major comeback in Amsterdam to advance in the CL.

Archived