Stalteri comment

nolando

In today's Guardian...

"Tottenham are also interested in Blackburn's right-back Lucas Neill. With Paul Stalteri failing to impress this season, Wigan's Pascal Chimbonda is their prime target for the position but the former Millwall defender Neill has become a back-up option."

I may not be Paul's greatest supporter but I thought he did pretty bloody well back there this year. The comment rings like it is common knowledge or something. If that is the case why was he among the only sure starters for Spurs and one of the only guys that never got the hook mid-game?

God, did I really start a "Save Larry" thread?

Go figure??

Jol may be looking for a more attack minded fellow. Or more likely, someone who can cross the ball just a tad bit better, ie Chimbonda.

If he thinks though that another fellow at right back is going to help out any more with the attack (like say Chimbonda) I think he's sorely mistaken. A few too many fellows are a bit too greedy with the ball on that side. Would take something special replacing Diesel to demand more of the ball going forward along that right touch line and Chimbonda ain't it.

Thought he did all right, not great, not bad, just all right over all with a momment here and there good and bad. Having Kelly as the alternate I think certainly helped keep Diesel on the pitch. That and he seemed to be developing a real repore with Dawson before he got injured.

That's my take of things anyway. And not playing 38 matchs a year shouldn't be considered a failed season. Hell, if he could get 20 matchs that would be a good year in my books.

So I guess this is like Werder Bremen all over again? Every year they are going to try to find that right back to overtake Stalteri's spot and then because of Stalteri's consistency and determination... he's just going to win it back in a few weeks. It's inevitable.

Spurs had one of the better defensive records, as well they also qualified for Europe, so I'm not sure what they are complaining about.

Sure Stalteri isn't the flashiest, but he is solid and I'm sure his vast experience playing in the Champions league/UEFA will come in handy for Spurs next season...

I think you guys are being a little overly defensive.

Stalteri was a solid addition to a much improved Spurs who had their best season in over a decade. The idea isn't to just be satisfied with that though - they want to get even better. If I were Jol I'd be looking to improve at rightback as well - there are better rightbacks in the world than Paul Stalteri. That doesn't make him a failure (obviously from the number of games he played he was a successful signing) but if anything a victim of the success he helped contribute to. Plus, like Timotas says just because they sign someone else doesn't mean that Paul's gonna get shipped out or couldn't continue to win the position.

Mike.

I think you guys are being a little overly defensive.

Stalteri was a solid addition to a much improved Spurs who had their best season in over a decade. The idea isn't to just be satisfied with that though - they want to get even better. If I were Jol I'd be looking to improve at rightback as well - there are better rightbacks in the world than Paul Stalteri. That doesn't make him a failure (obviously from the number of games he played he was a successful signing) but if anything a victim of the success he helped contribute to. Plus, like Timotas says just because they sign someone else doesn't mean that Paul's gonna get shipped out or couldn't continue to win the position.

Mike.

Well Spurs have bid for the Wigan Right Back. But Jewell and company have rejected.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=367788&cc=5901

Wigan reject £3million Spurs bid for Chimbonda

Wigan have 'firmly rejected' a £3million bid from Tottenham for want-away defender Pascal Chimbonda.

Chimbonda handed in a transfer request within minutes of Wigan's 4-2 defeat Arsenal on the final day of the Premiership season last Sunday.

The move infuriated Wigan chairman, Dave Whelan and manager Paul Jewell, with the duo making clear Chimbonda could leave the JJB Stadium, but for nothing less than £6million.

Long-time admirers Tottenham have now tested Wigan's resolve regarding the 27-year-old French right-back, who was snapped up for a bargain £500,000 from Bastia last summer.

Chimbonda became a hero to the Wigan fans with a string of outstanding performances, earning him recognition when he was honoured by the Professional Footballers' Association at their recent awards evening.

But it would appear Jewell and Whelan are determined to stand by their guns as the Latics boss said: 'Their bid has been firmly rejected.

'The bid is not enough for a player who was named in the PFA team of the season.'

Manchester United are also understood to be interested in signing Chimbonda - however they and Spurs now know Wigan will be no pushovers around the negotiating table.

Archived